Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,429 times

Advertisements

Since we will be relocating to Denver in Aug/Sept.. I realized that we won't be able to do the Polar Express train ride here in AZ in Dec like we always do. (My son is a huge train fan and he's been looking forward to Polar Express all year!) So, I was looking into the Durango/Silverton Polar Express but realized that it's like 7 hours from Denver. Yikes! And of course it will be middle of winter, so I don't know how that affects traveling by car. Any suggestions, advice?? Should we just plan a long weekend and make the trek. Are there any other Polar Express special Trains closer to Denver? And if we do decide to do the Durango Polar Express, does it sell out in advance? The one here usually sells out for weekends in June.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
I'm from Dgo. I've made the trip a zillion times from Dgo. to Denver. When you say "middle of winter", what time frame exactly? Because believe it or not, our winter is not exactly dead-on. You might think Dec. is a wintry wonderland, and some years it is, but mostly I've noticed Jan. and Feb. are more wintry wonderlands.

Also, getting to Dgo. is more like 6 to 6.5 hours.

As for selling out, I'm not sure, but Dgo. is very small, so less chance of that happening.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM

24 posts, read 64,950 times
I've been on that train. Not during winter though. It was pretty neat, i guess it's one of the few coal trains left in America but I could be wrong. It's a pretty long train ride and everyone waves at it. I'd recommend a weekend out of it. I drove quite a bit further to get there but it was still worth it. Train ride wasn't cheap though.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Is it the Narrow Gauge? If so, I do think it's one of the last coal trains.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 64,950 times
You're right, I probably should have checked that first. Was just going off memory of things that happened over 5 years ago. In any case they have a website with details.
Home | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Oh yes, it's where you go for field trips. Year after year after year....

Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 PM

108 posts, read 389,721 times
We take the kids on it every year, it doesn't sell out far in advance. We've gotten tickets just a couple weeks before the date and not had an issue. As far as snow goes, it depends. It often doesn't snow much here in Dec so it can be hit or miss as far as a Winter Wonderland. You'll have the most chance of snow probably closer to X-Mas, although last winter we got most of winter's snow early in Dec. I happened to be in Denver for a couple weeks and missed most of it. Driving back down to Durango that trip was interesting, Wolf Creek Pass was closed from all the snow. You just never know!

I'd plan a long weekend and do it. The Polar Express for those who aren't familiar with it, is a short train ride. It isn't the full ride to Silverton or even Cascade which is the halfway point that the train only goes in in the winter. This trip is only 30 minutes or so, through town along the river and then to a local campground where it is all light up with light's. It is supposed to be Santa's village, Santa is out there waving and then he gets on the train. Very magical for the kids, the railroad does a great job at creating the Polar Express. The train coming around the corner in the dusk/dark with the steam puffing and all the children waiting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado