Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 PM

22 posts, read 88,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazed-Coug View Post
I don't know, but I guess if your a rancher/farmer... the smell is nothing new...
If barns are kept clean and ventilated well there is not much smell. Especially from horses. Cattle, well they do smell more. But many have used animals near a home or under the home for warmth. That is nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michinmich View Post
Ha! How clever that is! Wouldn't the barn smell stay in the house area too?

---------

I was thinking of building a log home but I found a wide range of opinions on the energy efficiency of logs.

This may seem silly but has anyone ever seen a log barn? I thought it could go with the house. Thanks for the info about the 3 sided barn wind issue too. My ponies are outside all year here in Michigan and rarely go inside so I thought they might like the 3 sides more.

One is a large pony (Icelandic) and the other a mini. Got to thinking, would a mountain lion mess with the little guy? Maybe I should be able to close him in at night (4 walls).

We had a mountain lion in our woods here in Michigan for a couple of months but there were 4 other large horses with my ponies and the mountain lion never came out of the woods.
Log barns have been around as long as log cabins.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Ha! How clever that is! Wouldn't the barn smell stay in the house area too?

---------

I was thinking of building a log home but I found a wide range of opinions on the energy efficiency of logs.
a lot of places we've lived in in europe (Spain and switz) have the barn in the basement, and yes it smells... but you can drop hay to the beasts without even putting on your coat and boots !

Save yourself mountains of grief and don't build a log anything. it is really time intensive, and often not great structurally for a beginner. (and then they shrink and really leak air / snow / water) - maintainance can be a bear, the resale on log stuff is not significantly higher, so... buy a used one , (that was built right) if that is what you want, is my theme.

I like to build 'tilt-up concrete'. pour a slab, and form up some walls on the slab, rent a crane, tip em up, weld in place. really quick and strong. Sometimes concrete is expensive, but ingrediants are not too bad, and you can find used cement trucks, then resell !

Old 04-21-2007, 03:26 PM

28 posts, read 142,528 times
I used to live in England when I was young and we went to an inn that had horses (which we rode with on the moors) below our room and I always wondered why it was set up like that. It was nice hearing the horses chewing and snorting occasionally during the night! Don't remember any smell either. Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 04-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I used to live in England when I was young and we went to an inn that had horses (which we rode with on the moors) below our room and I always wondered why it was set up like that. It was nice hearing the horses chewing and snorting occasionally during the night! Don't remember any smell either. Thanks for the info everyone!
If homes can be built so that the smell of human produced smells as in auto exhausts, factories and the continuous noise of a city. Then why can not they be built to keep out other smells? People that do not have animals believe it has to smell like a stockyard. Cattle are stronger in smell but when animals are kept clean and their environment cleaned. They are not strong in smell. I have been around some people that are worse. Bathing and cleanliness do wonders for most things.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 AM

Oh, yes, I definitely agree. I work in a hospital as a nurse and sometimes I can't wait get to the barn for some "fresh air!" Guess we can all be animals in that respect. I actually wondered if there are stalls that can be "flushed".

Here in Michigan, where I live, a landscaper comes by and takes away the horse manure compost for free. Is there any need for that in La Plata county? What do horsey people do with their horsey piles?

Out near La Plata Airport in what way do people connect to the internet and how do they vary in price? I have DSL by phone line here and I am happy with that for what I do.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes, I definitely agree. I work in a hospital as a nurse and sometimes I can't wait get to the barn for some "fresh air!" Guess we can all be animals in that respect. I actually wondered if there are stalls that can be "flushed".

Here in Michigan, where I live, a landscaper comes by and takes away the horse manure compost for free. Is there any need for that in La Plata county? What do horsey people do with their horsey piles?

Out near La Plata Airport in what way do people connect to the internet and how do they vary in price? I have DSL by phone line here and I am happy with that for what I do.
Can not help you with information on connecting to the Internet. There are many places outside of towns that do not even have DSL. Just dial-up or satellite. And I just don't know about that area.

We compost our horse apples in that 14 day drum. 1 horse fills it about every two weeks. Winter -some is rototilled into garden area to compost. The rest other people want for the same thing. Some compost in piles but that is a problem in some areas, they will not allow manure storage they call it. Others spead out on pastures with a fertilizer. Horse needs to be broken up to work well unless there is plenty of moisture that will. Those close to town just have it hauled with the garbage. Land fills take it. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Yes, thank you, that is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado