Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 PM

30 posts, read 235,494 times

Advertisements

Hi, I sure would appreciate some guidance. My 20 year old son is taking some time off from college and has an interest in getting a job at a ski area -- somewhere in Colorado. He'd probably look for a job as a lift attendant, or in retail perhaps. He's had some job experience as a valet. 'Not sure really what kind of job he might want to have, but he's really looking forward to improving his skiing, so having a lift pass as a perk from a job would be very valuable. (He's a good skier; good enough to ski on a high school ski team; not skilled as an instructor, nor is he an "expert skier".)
All things being equal -- we'd appreciate receiving your recommendations and thoughts as to specific areas, or companies, or jobs he should aim for. WHEN should he go job hunting? (He's out of school now and could make the move any time.) Any advice, warnings and/or recommendations as he embarks on this adventure would be appreciated. He would be driving up to Colorado, and wouldn't know a soul there.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,589,237 times
If you peruse through previous threads in the past six months on the Colorado forum, I've made extensive comments on living and working in ski towns in Colorado. The threads should be easy enough to find.

I did it for eight winters.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,582,019 times
I did the same thing 30 years ago when I moved to Steamboat Springs. He could go just about anywhere, but maybe Summit County would be good because it is only an hour to Denver. There's Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, and Copper Mountain all within a short drive of each other. It's been a while (obviously) since I did this, but I would think that hitting the ski areas in November would be a good time to start looking for a job. You need to realize that the pay is low and living expenses are high, so he's going to be living pretty much hand-to-mouth.

Don't be too much of a MOM! Let him have his fun adventure. Wherever he lands is going to be a great experience.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 AM

2,324 posts, read 5,486,255 times
I was a "ski bum" 15 years ago and ended up living in Aspen. It was an amazing experience. He should definitely do it. If he can get a restaurant job as a waiter or bartender or work in a hotel as a valet, he will make MUCH more than he will working for the ski company. I worked 4 days/week, got a pass for $500 and made about $1000/week bartending. Usually there are deals for a season pass if you work in the county so he'd make enough in a week to pay for one. If you work for for the ski company, you get a free pass but you work all day and make very little money. The biggest hassle is finding a place to live. Even then, the average rent for a 1 bedroom was $2000/month but Pitkin County has some nice seasonal housing that is rented for far below market rate. I think my rent for a large 2 bedroom was $850 back then which I split with a roommate. There is a very narrow window to find a place to rent and to apply for jobs which ran from early October to mid-November. Aspen is, of course an extreme example but that should hopefully give you some idea. Get there early, have at least $2000 - $3000, and plan on a month of looking for a place to live an a job. In Aspen there are actually some incredibly cheap dorm type hotel deals as long as you get there early. I think I paid about $150/week for one until I found a place.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,937,335 times
The time to start interviewing is late summer, so that there's ample time to decide upon a location and seek housing at best possible rates.

Waiting until ski season is almost opening will still get you a job, but lowest cost housing will be long gone by then.

Your son should anticipate that the living costs are high in the ski resort towns, and plan on having roomates to help with those costs, even with those jobs where employee housing is available.

In the current economy, skier visits are down at the top resorts as of last year. I'd anticipate that the ski area jobs may not be as plentiful, or pay as much ... as they have in the past. Still, it's a viable job market for someone willing to do whatever it takes to spend a ski season in the hills. Many jobs will not give one much time off for recreational skiing, so don't think it's all about full time play ... it's a job, and many unskilled folks find that they have to work two jobs (and possibly a third) to make ends meet.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 AM

30 posts, read 235,494 times
Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. We really appreciate it. QUESTION: If he heads to Summit County and those ski areas, do you have any advice as to a SPECIFIC inexpensive place to stay while he looks for work? Also, what are the best places to look for work (websites? printed classifieds?)? THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Get there early, have at least $2000 - $3000, and plan on a month of looking for a place to live an a job. In Aspen there are actually some incredibly cheap dorm type hotel deals as long as you get there early. I think I paid about $150/week for one until I found a place.
If he goes to Aspen to look for work sometime in October or early November, can you suggest someplace to stay? What's the best approach to job hunting? Looking at Craig's List, or literally going from resort to resort (or HR office to HR office) applying for work in person? Or what?? Thanks!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-01-2009 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 5,486,255 times
I'm sure the job search has changed since I was there, but then at least, you had to actually be there and "pound the pavement". You couldn't really find those type of jobs long distance. The place I would recommend in Aspen is the St. Moritz Inn. I'm sure it's more expensive than it was then but I'm pretty sure they still offer cheap off-season dorm type housing. I don't know much about Summit County. As far as Aspen, check out websites for Pitkin County or for Marolt Ranch (one of their apartment buildings). I would also use craigslist and the Aspen Times and Aspen Daily News. They both have websites. If you are thinking of other towns, be sure to check out the local papers. Hope that helps...

Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 PM

718 posts, read 1,978,068 times
For inexpensive Summit County lodging, the Riverside Lodge in Silverthorne has some hostel style rooms. The Sky Vue motel in Frisco is also reasonable. Rates will be better after Labor Day, and then even better toward the end of October, as leaf viewing season is ending.

I worked for Arapahoe Basin as a lift operator years ago and had a great time. After a few years, I owned ski shops. The ski rental shop job is a bit better than working on the mountain because many of them work employees on a split shift, allowing them to ski during the day. The labor needs are greater in the morning, when guests are renting equipment, and in the afternoon or evening, when equipment is being returned and prepared for the next day. Like was posted above, restaurant and bar employment is likely the best for income, and evening shifts mean day skiing.

Housing is often more affordable in nearby towns, but the commute can be tricky during rough weather. It is best to try to find something local. For Summit County, some Breck employees commute from Alma, Fairplay, and Blue River. Copper employees will sometimes commute from Fairplay, and Keystone employees sometimes come from Kremmling or Georgetown.

The website for the local paper for Summit County is Breckenridge & Summit County Colorado | SummitDaily.com News

Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 PM

79 posts, read 286,955 times
Telluride Ski Resort puts all their information online at Telluride Ski Resort | Employment

They even have info on housing at the resort owned complex for seasonal workers.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,868 times
[url=http://www.skiwinterpark.com/employment/index.htm]Winter Park - Get a Job[/url]
Granby Ranch - SolVista Basin (http://www.granbyranch.com/ski/solvistabasin.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado