Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times

Advertisements

There is plenty of chipping away that can be done to the advertised ideal of Durango and on occasion I'll do it too. But when I hear it coming full bore here I usually find myself feeling that critique would apply as much or probably more in most or all other CO mountain resort towns and that despite its issues Durango is a pretty decent area for many. I say area because I think of "Durango" as Durango metro which includes all of LaPlata county (Grandview, Dur West, Hermosa, Bayfield, Vallecito, Hesperus and all the subdivisions in between) or even Durango extended to include the neighboring counties that partially depend on Durango for work, trade, medical, etc. If one can't find a niche in this extended urban area to their budget and liking then they probably need to look at a very different area. Aspen or Telluride over Durango? Ok if it appeals more with their average real estate prices 3-5 times higher (and rent at least twice as high) and more elitism. To me there is more more to tweak Aspen or Telluride about regarding accomodating the non-rich than Durango, by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 27,908 times
Default How Are Jobs in the F&B Segment of Durango

I've been out West and through Durango twice (to ride the train) for vacation - and like the area. I am a Chef with 19 years experience (fine dining - and also make one seriously mean bad-@ss crab-cake, Eastern Shore style). Anyone on the board can tell me how pay is at the local restaurants? My wife is a waitress, so am also interested about how they do. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:43 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabcakeTony View Post
I've been out West and through Durango twice (to ride the train) for vacation - and like the area. I am a Chef with 19 years experience (fine dining - and also make one seriously mean bad-@ss crab-cake, Eastern Shore style). Anyone on the board can tell me how pay is at the local restaurants? My wife is a waitress, so am also interested about how they do. Thanks!
I'm from Charm City, where the best crabcakes are at Faidley's or the now-closed Snyder's Willow Grove. If Durango doesn't work for you, come to Colorado Springs and show them how crabcakes are done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm from Charm City, where the best crabcakes are at Faidley's or the now-closed Snyder's Willow Grove. If Durango doesn't work for you, come to Colorado Springs and show them how crabcakes are done.
Hahahha - well Mike, you know you gotta start with great, well picked, backfin or lump - which ain't cheap no more. I don't load mine up with breadcrumbs and other junk. An old cook from Accomack that I worked with when I was young(er) taught me how to make 'em. They still have the lumps in them when you get your plate! Unfortunately, most people won't pay for them - as good backfin or lump is rather expensive (but worth it, IMHO) !

Old 02-01-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Hahahha - well Mike, you know you gotta start with great, well picked, backfin or lump - which ain't cheap no more. I don't load mine up with breadcrumbs and other junk. An old cook from Accomack that I worked with when I was young(er) taught me how to make 'em. They still have the lumps in them when you get your plate! Unfortunately, most people won't pay for them - as good backfin or lump is rather expensive (but worth it, IMHO) !
I know exactly what you're speaking of. Good 100% jumbo lump crabcakes are rare and worth the price which is about $15/each. FWIW: In Colorado Springs we have the state's only 5-star resort with a dozen eateries, to wit: The Broadmoor. We sit at the base of Pikes Peak and have damned good scenery here. My first visit to Durango was about 1995 or so, to ride the train, which is awesome. If you can afford Durango it's a great place to live.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
My emphasis bolded above. Answer: Not near enough to live much above a semi-starving, subsistence existence in Durango.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
My emphasis bolded above. Answer: Not near enough to live much above a semi-starving, subsistence existence in Durango.
Damn, downright depressing. I would have figured with a great tourist economy the F&B industry in Durango would be doing well. I only saw a few job openings in town in the local paper on-line help wanted, but they were for Prep Cooks and Dishwashers. Turnover must be low. Oh well, scratch Durango from the list. Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I know exactly what you're speaking of. Good 100% jumbo lump crabcakes are rare and worth the price which is about $15/each. FWIW: In Colorado Springs we have the state's only 5-star resort with a dozen eateries, to wit: The Broadmoor. We sit at the base of Pikes Peak and have damned good scenery here. My first visit to Durango was about 1995 or so, to ride the train, which is awesome. If you can afford Durango it's a great place to live.
I have met a few of the Chef's at ACF gatherings in years past. Dynamite operation. Too big for me at my age. I like the 140 or so seat stand alone operations that you can be creative and cater to the clientele - and be hands on. I have my source for seafood on the Eastern Shore. Been buying from them for over 10 years - best picked crabmeat, soft shells, etc. Are U getting hungry yet?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I have met a few of the Chef's at ACF gatherings in years past. Dynamite operation. Too big for me at my age. I like the 140 or so seat stand alone operations that you can be creative and cater to the clientele - and be hands on. I have my source for seafood on the Eastern Shore. Been buying from them for over 10 years - best picked crabmeat, soft shells, etc. Are U getting hungry yet?
Oh oh baby! Softshells! Lightly floured and sauteed in butter, with a bottle of Natty Boh Premium.....ahh, the good old days.

In our house we swore by an Eastern Shore brand, IIRC it was Meredith's, but the memory is fading....

I'd drive to Durango for such a crabcake, ride the train, drink some wine on the platform by the train yard.....and consider it a treat well worth the drive.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM

242 posts, read 413,252 times
The ski areas cater to high-end dining experiences over towns like Durango...and thus...there are many chefs in the high country with many years of experience. (often with their own restaurants). High-end hotels/etc. also employ chefs with high standards....and there are "private" chefs as well.

Yes, I am hungry, tony. What's for lunch? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado