Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,406 times

Advertisements

In our recent trip to Colorado we stayed four nights in a vacation rental at a 11,400 foot elevation. It was a nice home but all of us were affected by the high elevation. This included insomnia, headaches and a general shortage of breath any time we moved! We had trees around us but the treeline was about 400 feet above us. Our house was at the top of the hill.

It is definitely the highest up we have slept and stayed at ever. Are there vacation homes or condos in Colorado over 12,000 feet in elevation?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 07-08-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
I would be suprised. That's about timberline level. Anything above is exposed to the weather with no protection from wind or lightning. I'd be curious to about the answer myself.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM

50 posts, read 156,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In our recent trip to Colorado we stayed four nights in a vacation rental at a 11,400 foot elevation. It was a nice home but all of us were affected by the high elevation. This included insomnia, headaches and a general shortage of breath any time we moved!

It is definitely the highest up we have slept and stayed at ever. Are there vacation homes or condos in Colorado over 12,000 feet in elevation?
This is an interesting question that I've pondered as well. The highest incorporated towns in Colorado are around 10,000 ft. elevation. Leadville is one example. I believe Cripple Creek near Colorado Springs is just under 10,000 ft.

The harsh weather conditions would have to be the main deterrent to any development at higher elevations. Even if you had the infrastructure such as electricity and running water, you would encounter constant strong winds and even blizzard conditions many months out of the year. I don't think even a tricked-out Hummer could plow through several feet of snow. During severe weather, you'd be literally cut off from the rest of the world. Forget calling 911 - you'd be on your own!

If you had a house above treeline, it would get utterly battered by the elements. How about some lightning to go with your dinner??? Better protect those electronics! And I hope you like snow and arctic weather!! Consider Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. It's closed from roughly October through May each year at 10,000 ft and above thanks to frequent heavy snows. It is simply too expensive and cumbersome to keep this road open year round.

With all this being said, I'm sure there is someone out there who is living at 12,000 feet or above. It would definitely be a rough and rather isolated lifestyle for sure!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
Do they have any kind of living space on top of Pikes Peak in case people need to stay the night or do they just commute every day?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM

50 posts, read 156,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Do they have any kind of living space on top of Pikes Peak in case people need to stay the night or do they just commute every day?
When I visited the Pikes Peak summit last year, I asked the cashier in the Summit House gift shop this very question. There are no living quarters at the summit, and the employees commute up and down the mountain each day. She did say that if weather conditions are severe, they will close the toll road which begins in Cascade near U.S. 24 and the employees won't commute up the mountain on that day (if they haven't already). She also said there have been some hairy experiences driving down the mountain after bad weather moved in during the day, but it doesn't happen that often.

There is a small high altitude research center building on the west side of the Pikes Peak summit parking lot (opposite side on top of the mountain from the touristy Summit House gift shop where the cog train arrives). I can't remember which educational institution owns it (U. of of Colorado or U. of Denver), but I wonder if any researchers have small temporary living quarters in that building while they conduct their work.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
Thank you!

I wonder if anyone ever thought of building somekind of hotel up there? I would bet it would make a lot of money if done right. I know I would love to spend a night or two there a year.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
I'd have to offer a qualified 'yes' to the OP.

The United States Army trained for high altitude operations during World War II at Camp Hale in central Colorado. Their rustic WW-II era huts have grown into today's organization that runs a set of 29 "huts" in the high country. Those men became part of the famed 10th Mountain Division. After WW-II, some of those men came back to Colorado and started the ski industry. Today the 10th Mountain Division Hut Association runs the hut operation.

Most of these huts are at 11,400 or higher, some lower. It is possible to book these huts (chalets?) for overnight use, year round.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
We Americans are light weights when it comes to high altitude living. La Rinconada ( population 30,000 ) in Peru is the highest city of the world, situated at a height of 5,100m (16,732.28 feet) above sea level.

To live that high in Colorado, you'd have to erect a 2300 ft tower on the top of Mt Elbert, and build your home on the tower. Might be a bit breezy up there! You'd get quite a thrill every time the wind blew. I imagine a tower like that would be so shaky, you'd get the thrill of a lifetime every time you took a step in your house.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Not only are residences above 11,000 totally impractical, they are an environmental nightmare. Vegetation disturbances in the above-timberline environment can take DECADES to recover--if ever. There are a few hare-brained, out-of-state imbiciles that have bought high-altitude mining claims and built homes on those (which is directly in conflict with the intent of the mining law, but is nonetheless legal). Not only do these homes destroy viewsheds, their effects are on the tundra environment are severe. Just another example of stupidity, ignorance, and greed--not to mention a total lack of common sense.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
We Americans are light weights when it comes to high altitude living. La Rinconada ( population 30,000 ) in Peru is the highest city of the world, situated at a height of 5,100m (16,732.28 feet) above sea level.
Wow, and there was me thinking Namche Bazaar had to be the highest but it's a mere 11,286 feet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado