U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom tudy View Post
Grand Junction is a terrible place to live in the winter, don't let them kid you about the weather, it is hot and dry in the summer, and winters are horrid. We get inversions in the valley and it can stay cold for long periods of time,
I can attest to that. When we lived there a few years ago, there was one winter where the temps ranged between -12 and 25 for three months straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The people who move here from out of state didn't get the memo that winters on the front range and weather on the western slope are not the same.
Right, the front range tends to be warmer but with much more snowfall. The western slope: colder, less snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff09m View Post
Anyone who says that this place has had its local spirit smashed by the likes of Walmart has never traveled in the south, where Walmart has truly destroyed local, relatively self-sufficient local economies.
Yes mom and pop stores are alive and kicking in GJ.
Quote:
There is a ton to do if you like the outdoors. I've heard some people downplay this
Really? I can't imagine downplaying the amount of outdoors stuff to do in and around GJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,709 times
moving to grand junction and wanting to know what are the good areas for a single woman age 22?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netski71 View Post
moving to grand junction and wanting to know what are the good areas for a single woman age 22?
Do you mean good neighborhoods to live, or good places to hang out?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:57 PM

16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times
Bringing this thread up to date. Simetime, I'll come up with the latest developments on a variety of subjects; real estate, rentals, employment situation, etc., etc. I'll crank one out tomorrow afternoon/evening for you!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Bringing this thread up to date. Simetime, I'll come up with the latest developments on a variety of subjects; real estate, rentals, employment situation, etc., etc. I'll crank one out tomorrow afternoon/evening for you!
looking forward to that, I just found this page based on a Google search. My husband and I are thinking of moving there from Southern Cali, we are sick of the price of living here, lack of jobs, and to be honest, the people are a little much for us. Hope to see some new information about it, what the housing market is like, the job opportunities, etc,...
he is in his 30s and I am in my late 20s. We would really love to move there, away from this town.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK_86 View Post
looking forward to that, I just found this page based on a Google search. My husband and I are thinking of moving there from Southern Cali, we are sick of the price of living here, lack of jobs, and to be honest, the people are a little much for us. Hope to see some new information about it, what the housing market is like, the job opportunities, etc,...
he is in his 30s and I am in my late 20s. We would really love to move there, away from this town.
Cost of living compared to So. Cal.--much lower, but incomes are much less, too--the COL/income ratio is probably better in So. Cal. Job situation? Not good and getting worse. People? With the influx of ex-Californians into western Colorado in the last decade or so, the unfriendly "California attitude" is becoming more and more of a problem.

If you really want to escape "Californication," look at small to medium-sized towns in the Plains states and Midwest. They haven't yet been overrun with ex-Californians determined to turn where they moved to into what the said they left because they hated it so much.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
I've lived in many places over the course of my lifetime. With the wisdom of hindsight, I clearly see that every time the main focus of my move was moving AWAY from something I didn't like, rather than moving TOWARD something I really wanted, that every one of those moves didn't play out very well. On the other hand, when I've moved into a new place primarily because it offered something I truly wanted, those moves turned out much better.

There's an old saying, wherever you go, there you are. If your buttons are being pushed by the people where you are now, you can bet your booties that the people in your new place will also push your buttons. It's all about you, not the people around you. Peace and happiness are inside jobs. Make peace first...then move.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 AM

276 posts, read 583,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK_86 View Post
Not sure if moving to the Western Slope would be a good move for you right now. One of my vendors who is based in Denver but has covered the western part of the state for 30+ years told me last week that he has never seen the Grand Junction/Delta/Montrose area as depressed as it is right now.

I understand that you want to get away from SoCal but the current economy in this part of the state is too unstable. Keep in mind that housing costs in GJ can be pretty steep too.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:26 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Another point of view on the western slope economy, specifically Mesa county.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Another point of view on the western slope economy, specifically Mesa county.
Thank you.

From the article: "Almost 300 job orders, which each represent 2-3 job positions, were placed in May in Mesa County. That's the highest number in years and even better than the pre-recession number of almost 180 job orders in May 2008."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or