Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM

13 posts, read 30,430 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the advice. Haha katzenfreud had my idea of "vegetarian friendly" I'm from Austin right now which is very laid back and has many veg options but I grew up in Fort worth, and cow-town didn't so it's not like it will be the end of the word if I'm not surrounded by vegans. Just curious

Yeah it seems like 600 a month is low for any 2 bedroooms anywhere with the economy.
Unfortunately it looks like we might have to look into public housing : /
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Hemp Milk?
Hemp milk is sold at Whole Foods and other health food stores, good alternative that don't want/or can't drink cow's milk and want to avoid soy.
Whole Foods and sometimes ethnic food stores are good as far as getting those "exotic" ingredients that you might need for vegetarian cooking

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I agree with treedonkey, you can live anywhere and be a vegetarian. Not all the vegetarian and liberals live in Boulder. In Denver, we have many areas that you live very cheaply and be appreciated and not be ostracized because of your lifestyle.

Actually in Denver we have a store that only sells vegetarian products. It is not well known in the new generation of the "now" people who think they invented everything progressive and natural. It is called ABC market, a part of the Seventh-Day Adventist organization.

Seventh-Day Adventist have been advocating a vegetarian diet for many years. ABC market has a online store
Vegefood Low-Prices, Wide Selection Quality Vegetarian Food but also has 27 retail stores and the one in Colorado is at:

Rocky Mountain ABC
2520 S. Downing Street
Denver, CO 80210-5875
303-722-1101
800-254-9687
Fax Your Order: 303-722-2338

This store is across from Porter Hospital http://www.porterhospital.org/ which was started as a Seventh-Day Adventist Facility. The hospital is a great place for vegetarians because it has many vegetarian options in the food service for in-patients of the hospital, senior care center, and the cafeteria. The ABC store sells much more products than what is online and frozen food.

This area, around this hospital would be a great place to live, if you are a vegetarian and want a less expensive nice safe neighborhood. I would recommend this area highly. It has good small homes just south of the hospital, where you may find a good rental. There is a beautiful park, Harvard Gulch Park. It is also very close to University of Denver http://www.du.edu/, which is on Evans, just east from Downing. Living around this area will give you many of the attributes of Boulder but not all the expensive fluff and pretensions. It is a good safe area of Denver to raise children. It is much safer than Boulder and less congested.

I am well versed in foods, having graduated from the CIA. I do not agree totally with the many of the fake based meat products that the Worthington Foods and Loma Linda Foods offers. I believe a vegetarian lifestyle is best served by basic commodity products such as legumes and vegetables vs. imitating meat products. However, these products do add interest to diets and serve many purposes on a well designed vegetarian menu. I mentioned Loma Linda foods but I am very impressed with Loma Linda University and Medical Center and their approach to wellness and the vegetarian lifestyle Loma Linda University This is one of many example where religious philosophies have contributed to the welfare of man. I say that as an Atheist; I honor good religious values.

Oh, just to note, there are jobs available at the hospital and the university that may give you a good start in Denver. Also, the public transportation is good and it is easy to bike through the streets. Housing would, of course, be cheaper and better, away from just adjacent to the University, so, that is why I would suggest near Porter Hospital and to the West and Southwest.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-15-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Hemp milk is sold at Whole Foods and other health food stores, good alternative that don't want/or can't drink cow's milk and want to avoid soy.
Whole Foods and sometimes ethnic food stores are good as far as getting those "exotic" ingredients that you might need for vegetarian cooking
I'm just amazed that they can make milk out of weed. Go figure.

I like almond milk cuz it tastes good. And of course cow milk.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM

Wow! Thank you so much livecontent. That was some very helpful information, do you have any specific neighborhood suggestions? Biking through town for groceries and small trips to the store sounds ideal because me and my daughter love to be outside but in the Texas heat it's near impossible.
I agree with your comment on living a vegetarian lifestyle not based on the imitation meat products and more on legumes but for people in my situation with a busy lifestyle of work, school, and baby every now and then throwing a veggie burger in the microwave for lunch feels necessary, so it's nice to have that option available!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 PM

To start talking about neighborhoods in Denver, you need a map:

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

Denver has a vast array of different areas. Denver is not like many other cities, it is growing with new people. It is attracting the new rich, the empty nesters, and a broad range of new immigrants from all over the world. Mostly all neighborhoods in Denver are experiencing some sort of urban renewal and regrowth. Denver is not all dense. It has many neighborhoods that look like a suburban environment. That is because many areas of Denver are much newer.

Denver is known for the extensive parks, trails and recreation facilities. It is really amazing when you get to see the whole picture http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/cityparks.pdf (broken link)

Young People like to talk about moving to Boulder. Boulder is very nice. I have lived here when I moved to Colorado. But again, it is not the only place and it is costly. It would not be a place where I would recommend a young family, with limited resources, to start raising a family in Colorado. Boulder is very intense and congested. Though it attracts great creative and wonderful people; it also attracts many who think they are great but bring problems with drugs, alcohol abuse and obtuse values that may threaten a family raising children.

I think many areas of Denver can offer some better areas for families that are more reasonable and at the same time have the vibrancy and the good liberal progressive values that are a hallmark of Boulder.

What neighborhood would I suggest for you. Well, you now have the map and the areas I was talking about in my previous post was Rosedale and the University Neighborhood. I would also go up to the area called Platte Park, which surrounds south Pearl. So now you need a city street map
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/street_map.pdf (broken link)

Since these areas are near the University, you will have some of what you see in Boulder; not everything because Boulder is certainly unique and special. These areas also border some of the very expensive southern areas of the city and the high class Denver suburbs. But, they are less expensive, to a degree but Platte Park, in areas, in getting more expensive everyday. I would look seriously all around that Harvard Gulch Park, especially to the south, even if it brought you into the suburbs of Englewood and Arapahoe County. There are modest homes just south of the Golf Course, South of East Harvard and East of Broadway.

This area is just west and southwest of Porter. You will be near the University for the liberal activities that form around a college. You will be in a less expensive area but at the same time have access the many parks and amenities of the wealthier area. Also, you may not think so much about it but you will be near a good hospital, Porter, and down the road from on of the few No. 1 Trauma Centers at Swedish, in Englewood. I believe Denver is a very safe city overall but it has some difficult neighborhoods, but the best neighborhoods for safe issues are in the southern areas. This area is also sandwiched near many new commuter rail stations; in a upside down triangle of the southwest corridor and the southeast corridor. You will have good public transit access to all areas of Denver.

If I was in your situation, starting a family and espousing certain values, have limited resources; this is where I would start in Denver. Who said that Boulder has to get all the good new people who move to Colorado---Denver deserves some, give Denver a chance.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-15-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Thank you again. I have all the tabs pulled up and I'm going to spend tonight looking more into it now that the little one is asleep.

I have a friend in Colorado Springs so I've also been looking there as well.
What does the relocation package include, I want one!

Do you know anything about the public housing units in these areas? Most people assume they are in the bad parts of town but I've also met plenty of young moms who say they found some in nice areas but I suppose it depends on the State. Does anyone have knowledge on this? Thanks again for all of the great info!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
My daughter lived near Porter Hospital; she had a 2 BR apt. for $650/mo + electric. However, she is moving out and the rent is going up. You will have a hard time in any neighborhood in Denver/Boulder getting a 2 BR apt. for $600/m.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmamamegan View Post
Do you know anything about the public housing units in these areas? Most people assume they are in the bad parts of town but I've also met plenty of young moms who say they found some in nice areas but I suppose it depends on the State. Does anyone have knowledge on this?
Why don't you search for some...
Low-rent apartment search - HUD

And then we can tell you about the area(s) they are in. I've seen plenty of public housing in decent, middle class areas before.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmamamegan View Post
Thank you again. I have all the tabs pulled up and I'm going to spend tonight looking more into it now that the little one is asleep.

I have a friend in Colorado Springs so I've also been looking there as well.
What does the relocation package include, I want one!

Do you know anything about the public housing units in these areas? Most people assume they are in the bad parts of town but I've also met plenty of young moms who say they found some in nice areas but I suppose it depends on the State. Does anyone have knowledge on this? Thanks again for all of the great info!
Somehow I did not pick up your desire. I would suggest that you do not move here with the idea of being able to move into Public Housing.

All public housing works on a waiting list and most lists are years; especially in the better housing. In addition, you have to qualify and that will take time, as the county will have to evaluate you, your income etc. and there is residency requirement for some. It takes time to get appointments. There is also emergency housing but you cannot depend on that for your family.

Also, keep this in mind. Public housing is run by different government entities, some are county, some are city. In addition, there is low cost housing which is not public housing, but is run by profit or non-profit entities. They all require qualifications to get the reimbursements from HUD, such as Section 8. Again, all have waiting lists.

This is also a very important issue. I live in one town. I can apply for any low cost housing in any municipality but that does not mean I have the same priority. The priority for housing can be stated and written for people living in that municipality. And many times, it may not be written, it is implied, as giving priority to their own residents.

Programs are run by people, not machines, and people will apply rules and regulations as people do, with prejudices, compassion and concerns. You can bet, if you move to this state with the intention of public housing, you are not going to make many friends. Colorado is not one of the states that have extensive social welfare programs--that is one of the reasons the taxes are lower.

So, I would suggest stay where you are; get an education; acquire some skills and make yourself marketable and employable. Colorado is really not the place to move with a family on a whim, with limited resources; and no education or skills, especially in this hard economy. If you cannot make your life work in Austin, you are not going to have an advantage by moving here.

This sounds like hard statements and it is meant to be as written. I am disabled with low income, and unfortunately, I have to work myself through some social programs. But I operate on the philosophy of helping yourself first with all your effort, and then seeking public assistance. That is the reason I am so very frugal and get very little assistance. This has caused me to have too much savings to qualify for most programs, and that is fine with me.

Every time, I apply for anything and divulge how I live, all are shocked that I live on so little and why I do not seek more help. So, as a elderly disabled man, who does not only "talk the talk but walks the walk" I can be blunt and say to you: You are not going to be looked on favorably as just ambling into Colorado and applying for government help.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-16-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado