Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Canon City is in high desert and is far from a green oasis. Most of it brown for most of the year. What greenery there is in town is irrigated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 69,835 times
Default life in Az versus Canon City

After some major research into the water quality around Canon City, I've found that the water is as safe as any where else. I plan on buying 35 acres north of town to retire. I was in town a few weeks ago and I'm planning on bringing 3 friends of mine back with me to check out the surrounding areas in which they can retire also and enjoy the good life.
I've spent the last 30 years cooking in the arizona heat and I can't stand it anymore. When I first moved to Chandler Az years ago, it was a small town of 15,000 people with hitching posts in front of the shops downtown. Now the town has swelled to over 300k and it;s time to move on. The month of July was the hottest on record with temps reaching 110 to 115 everyday. Nothing worse than getting up at 4:30am and It's already 95 degrees outside. sooooo for those of your living in Canon City and complain about the weather, make a trip to Phoenix next july

Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
So you really think Canon City's water is safe?? Cañon City: Cotter intends to re-open mill despite unchecked groundwater contamination « Coyote Gulch
I beg to differ. RP Click on the map.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjohn View Post
After some major research into the water quality around Canon City, I've found that the water is as safe as any where else. I plan on buying 35 acres north of town to retire. I was in town a few weeks ago and I'm planning on bringing 3 friends of mine back with me to check out the surrounding areas in which they can retire also and enjoy the good life.
I've spent the last 30 years cooking in the arizona heat and I can't stand it anymore. When I first moved to Chandler Az years ago, it was a small town of 15,000 people with hitching posts in front of the shops downtown. Now the town has swelled to over 300k and it;s time to move on. The month of July was the hottest on record with temps reaching 110 to 115 everyday. Nothing worse than getting up at 4:30am and It's already 95 degrees outside. sooooo for those of your living in Canon City and complain about the weather, make a trip to Phoenix next july
Amen neighbor. Growing up in CO my wife and I look to move back and CC is one of two places we are considering based in part on our (now 20yr) tolerance of warmer weather!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:30 AM

8 posts, read 27,678 times
My husband and I are from Michigan and visited Canon City a couple years ago. We fell in love with the area, and want to move out there as soon as we can get things in order here. How do I find out about renting a place until we can find property to buy? That's one thing we didn't check on when we were there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,399 times
My husband is considering a job in Canon City. We have lived in California most of our lives. I am very concerned about Canon City's nuclear power plant that may reopen, possible bad water, and the prisons. We are considering either commuting from Colorado S. or Pueblo. Is it possible that the water for these locations are affected by the power plant?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
My husband is considering a job in Canon City. We have lived in California most of our lives. I am very concerned about Canon City's nuclear power plant that may reopen, possible bad water, and the prisons. We are considering either commuting from Colorado S. or Pueblo. Is it possible that the water for these locations are affected by the power plant?
First, get your facts straight--the plant was a uranium ore processing mill, not a nuclear power plant. While water quality may be an issue in many Colorado locales from things like mine tailings, etc., it is not the issue that it is in many locations in this country. If I were to work in Cañon City, I would have no reservations about living in Cañon City. Like every Colorado community I can think of, it has its issues, but it is one of Colorado's better communities overall, in my opinion. I would pick it over Colorado Springs or Pueblo in a heartbeat.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM

486 posts, read 1,496,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
The other poster was correct in saying that Cotter Corporation is a Uranium Mill processing plant, and not a nuclear power plant. But you are right to be concerned. One whole south section of Canon City (known as Lincoln Park) has been declared a federal Superfund Site. We were going to buy a place there 2 years ago and we were going to have to sign a form saying that we would not sue if it turns out there was still toxic waste in the water there. But this is only in the Lincoln Park area of Canon City. Any other part of Canon City you should be fine.
It's a great place and you will find the real estate SUPER affordable.

as for the prisons, you get used to them and the people who work and live there. It's kind of a novelty actually. The history of the prisons is really fascinating and there is no where else in the country like here (in terms of the sheer number of prisons, and we have the infamous Supermax of course). There was even a documentary film crew here from Europe last summer doing a film on the people of Canon City because this place is so unique.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,576 times
What are the best or most scenic areas to live in, i would like to buy some land somewhere in area and retire there?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM

486 posts, read 1,496,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshuttle View Post
What are the best or most scenic areas to live in, i would like to buy some land somewhere in area and retire there?
well all of Canon City and Fremont County are scenic.... but it depends what you are looking for.
If you want mountain land, look west of Canon City in Cotopaxi area. If you want ranch/farmland, Penrose is a popular place for horse enthusiasts. If you want a spread in-town close to everything, where you can still have livestock, there are many affrodable properties in Canon City that are zoned agricultural. (for example, there are some homesteads just a few hundred feet from Walmart that have some acreage with horses)
Also the Lincoln Park area of town has many farms and homes with some property - very picturesque & irrigated, but see the above discussion to be warned on the water quality anywhere south of the Arkansas water due to Cotter Corp.
This is a great spot for retirees... best climate in Colorado and small quaint town but with all the amenities and a hospital as well.
real estate is the cheapest you will find anywhere in Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado