Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Whats life like in canon city ? I have a chance to relocate & im considering it greatly. I know cost of living is cheaper in colo & the politicians are not owned by the public unions like they are here in ca. Right ?
To answer your last question, (though I'm not sure why that is so important to you), no, unions are not common or popular in Canon City, just like the rest of Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
To answer your last question, (though I'm not sure why that is so important to you), no, unions are not common or popular in Canon City, just like the rest of Colorado.
If you lived in ca you would know why. I just dont want to move to another state where the politicians are whores to the public unions.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,661 times
"We are within 45 mins to Pueblo or Colorado Springs, we have a hospital, Wal-mart, Home Depot, cell phone service, numerous gas stations, restaurants, banks, rec district, etc, etc, etc. Population is at least 16,000. Hardly isolated!"

We live in a genuinely isolated area of Colorado..under 300 people, 1 small corner store, a post office that will be extinct by summer, 2.5 hrs to Pueblo, etc!

We've always enjoyed our quick runs through 'Canon' and will be coming up Sunday & Monday, 4/1 & 4/2, to take a serious look at your fair city (weirdo's and all...) for a possible permanent move by fall.

We want a small place to rent (for now), just outside city limits, that allow poultry and a goat or 3. We think the north or NE area might work??

How are your hospital and medical community?

We're retired military so will look forward to short run to Fort Carson Commissary in Springs.

We decided to get serious about Canon because of milder, temperate climate and proximity to Springs and Pueblo. All info besides what's already mentioned in above 6 pages...welcomed.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 PM

I believe canon city has over 300 days of sunshine but is it full days or just a few hours a day ?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
I believe canon city has over 300 days of sunshine but is it full days or just a few hours a day ?
IMO it's most of the day, with puffy clouds going over but 70-90% blue sky most of the time. Not a lot of days where it's either solid blue or solid overcast. Summer monsoon season can be June-Aug with almost-daily thunderstorms popping up in the afternoon or early evening. But we do not get the winter-long months of slate gray overcast like people in the northern areas around the Great Lakes often speak about.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM

178 posts, read 604,738 times
My wife and I just moved from Canon City to Montrose and I'm singing the "I miss Canon City blues." I think Montrose is nice but I will definitely miss the people, mild climate, Arkansas River, proximity to Pueblo/Springs, Wet Mountains, hiking, kayaking, fishing, camping, geology club, good neighbors and friends and the small town atmosphere...If a person has a job or retirement Canon City is hard to beat.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 PM

I was in canon city yrs ago during late july & it was nice weather. It wasnt too hot, nights were cool & a thunderstorm popped up mostly every day. When i got back to so.ca it was hot, dry & smoggy. Downtown canon city is nice compared to yucaipa,ca.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
I was in canon city yrs ago during late july & it was nice weather. It wasnt too hot, nights were cool & a thunderstorm popped up mostly every day. When i got back to so.ca it was hot, dry & smoggy. Downtown canon city is nice compared to yucaipa,ca.
If I wasn't nailed down to where I live now, I could live in the Canon City area without hesitation. I make a fair amount of trips to Denver and I'm finding that I like to go back home via Hwy. 115 out of Colorado Springs, then U.S.Hwy. 50 to Montrose and Grand Junction. Of course I carry fishing gear in the trunk of the Buick so I'll get out and wet the line a time or two along the Arkansas River and Blue Mesa reservoir as well.

Those afternoon and evening thundershowers? Yea, I kind of miss them as my area doesn't see much rain until the monsoon moisture comes in early August.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

17 posts, read 47,910 times
Default Snowfall & growing season in Canon City

My husband and I lived in Canon City for about a year in the mid 70's. We recall the winter to be fairly mild with little snow. It also seemed the growing season there was fairly long. Looking at the temp and snowfall charts on city data, it looks as tho Canon gets alot more snow than I remember and the growing season seems like it may be short. I remember cutting asparagus along some of the rural streets there.

Can anyone please help me out as we are considering Canon as a retirement place. We live in the Black Hills of NE Wyoming and we are looking for milder weather that won't be located too far away from our daughters. We thought Canon City would fit the bill, but I don't want to have to dig ourselves out in the winter like we do now. I remember warm summers, lots of sun and blue skies and mountains.

Am I remembering wrong?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:42 PM

178 posts, read 604,738 times
Winters are mild in Canon City compared to the rest of Colorado. Usually it only snows a couple of inches and 6 inches is considered a lot. We have gone to to Colorado Springs where we have been in snowy weather only to be back in the sun and much warmer weather as we approach Penrose and Canon City. The growing season goes from about May 1st to early October. Sometimes it is longer or a little shorter depending on Colorado weather. If you are looking for a slower pace of life with big city amenities close by and great outdoor recreation then Canon City is a great place to live. I just moved from Canon City to Montrose and even though I can step outside and look at the San Juan Mountains, I still miss Canon City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado