U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,796 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Steamboat, left out of high school. Now live in N. Texas and am considering a move back to CO. I have my own construction company (custom homes on acreage, commercial const and barns / riding arenas), been a family business since my grandfather was a young. I don't have a big fancy degree but I know construction and would intend on using my business history and knowledge to try and relocate / start my business there.

I don't like big cities, but would like to live close enough that there would be a need for my services. I'm very unfamiliar with how the markets are there right now, and know full well they could change in an 18 month period, hopefully for the better. I have 2 kids that I would like to raise on some acreage, a few acres at least.

I'm kind of looking around centering my business around maybe the Castle Rock area, or maybe up into the Longmont/Loveland/Ft Collins area and finally the Durango area. A lot of the decision, IMO, depends on the local growth market and the potential for having a successful business. I have a feeling the I-25 / Denver outskirts would be the best bet.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or thoughts on a relocation like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 PM

20,923 posts, read 39,233,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredish View Post
Grew up in Steamboat, left out of high school. Now live in N. Texas and am considering a move back to CO. I have my own construction company (custom homes on acreage, commercial const and barns / riding arenas), been a family business since my grandfather was a young. I don't have a big fancy degree but I know construction and would intend on using my business history and knowledge to try and relocate / start my business there.

I don't like big cities, but would like to live close enough that there would be a need for my services. I'm very unfamiliar with how the markets are there right now, and know full well they could change in an 18 month period, hopefully for the better. I have 2 kids that I would like to raise on some acreage, a few acres at least.

I'm kind of looking around centering my business around maybe the Castle Rock area, or maybe up into the Longmont/Loveland/Ft Collins area and finally the Durango area. A lot of the decision, IMO, depends on the local growth market and the potential for having a successful business. I have a feeling the I-25 / Denver outskirts would be the best bet.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or thoughts on a relocation like this?
Most homebuilding is slow here now, but all the areas you mention are good prospects. I'd keep researching. Perhaps finding websites that track building permits for various counties would show you where the action is heaviest, since you'll only get general opinions from people who post on here. Some of our realtor members might have better insights.

s/Mike
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 PM

698 posts, read 1,712,400 times
Like you said, things may change in the next 18 months. However, currently the market for that type of property is soft in the Fort Collins / Loveland area. Properties under $250k are moving fast and seeing, in some cases, multiple offers. However, once you get over $300k things slow dramatically. Commercial is pretty soft, too. However, when the economy turns, things will pick up. Recently, US News and World Report published an article listing the Fort Collins area as #3 in the top places in the US for expected real estate appreciation over the next 10 years.

As the time draws nearer, contact a local real estate professional in your preferred markets, to give you local market stats and saturation numbers (months of inventory).

You may also check into the Steamboat and Winter Park markets, as the resorts are often insulated from some of the worst economic issues.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,796 times
Thanks for the input, i realize there's not a lot people can say and I'm aware markets are soft so I'm asking a lot...

I think ideally, I'd like to be in the Fort Collins / Loveland area, although I'd honestly love to go back to Steamboat however I'm concerned about the cost of living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado