Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 78,221 times

Advertisements

Thanks for replies. I love the idea of Colorado's sunny warmth. Planning on doing the Durango Art fair next year so we have an excuse to check out all of the Southwestern areas. If it turns out we can't afford it or it just won't work at least we got to take our boys to see the splendor of Colorado. We are live and let live types with friends from every walk of life. I'd like to live where we could enjoy and experience friendly folk who won't label us and we won't label them. Idaho still looks very beautiful!!! and tempting too. I have a year or so to research before I'd have to get serious on a move. I am going to look into Pennsylvania thanks to SWB and south range family. I think that state needs more fun and open minded Christian conservatives like my family. No that isn't an oxymoron if anyone is planning an attack just give me a break. Pennsylvania has gas wells that I can use!!! Our gas bills are huge from running our glass furnace. I like that Colorado sound like a live and let live kinda place and since I already live where there is just too much gray sky and cold wet springs it would be nice for my sweet little allergy prone sons to have dryer air. So as it stands it's looking at Colorado, Pennsylvania and Idaho. The hunt is going to be fun!!! ILUV_NM you are a doll and Thanks for posting on this site!!

Last edited by diane faith; 05-06-2007 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: forgot a name sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 03:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I am from W. Pennsylvania, would agree with South Range Family. The climate won't be too different than in Chicago, and it will definitely be cheaper! Despite its reputation, Colorado is not that wooded except in the mtns. I am not all that familiar with the SW part of the state, but there is no where along the front range/plains area that would meet your qualifications at all unless you bought some land and planted the trees yourself, and believe me, they take years to grow here and spring/fall snowstorms can take them out easily. Another big problem with Colorado is that there are very few places under 4000 people that don't have the potential to grow. The eastern foothills/mtn areas might work (Nederland, Conifer, Bailey) but would be more expensive. I think you would find Evergreen way too expensive, there might be some zoning restrictions re: having a business such as yours there as well. Nederland might just be affordable and isn't too far from Boulder.

In re: your kids' allergies, it used to be thought the dry air was good for the lungs, but now the thinking has changed. This is not a great place for someone with asthma. The only thing good about the dry climate in that regard is that mold doesn't grow as well here.

I think your idea of visiting and checking things out is excellent.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane faith View Post
Thanks for replies. I love the idea of Colorado's sunny warmth. Planning on doing the Durango Art fair next year so we have an excuse to check out all of the Southwestern areas. If it turns out we can't afford it or it just won't work at least we got to take our boys to see the splendor of Colorado. We are live and let live types with friends from every walk of life. I'd like to live where we could enjoy and experience friendly folk who won't label us and we won't label them. Idaho still looks very beautiful!!! and tempting too. I have a year or so to research before I'd have to get serious on a move. I am going to look into Pennsylvania thanks to SWB and south range family. I think that state needs more fun and open minded Christian conservatives like my family. No that isn't an oxymoron if anyone is planning an attack just give me a break. Pennsylvania has gas wells that I can use!!! Our gas bills are huge from running our glass furnace. I like that Colorado sound like a live and let live kinda place and since I already live where there is just too much gray sky and cold wet springs it would be nice for my sweet little allergy prone sons to have dryer air. So as it stands it's looking at Colorado, Pennsylvania and Idaho. The hunt is going to be fun!!! ILUV_NM you are a doll and Thanks for posting on this site!!
Thank you Diane for the kind post. I lived in Idaho and the northern part up in the panhandle is very pretty especially like say Coeur d Alene, but I have to tell you the winters are very bleak and gray up there and for a long time in Idaho. I found it depressing. The summers are nice so if you can afford to have a cabin or second home that would be great, otherwise, I would spend a winter up there and see if you can handle it before putting down money on a home. Southern Idaho will be a disappointment to you unless you like deserts, because that is what it is. The state is heavily Mormon too, I dont know how that works with your conservative Christian background but I do know they are conservative too. So since you say about how gray and damp it is where you live, I think you will love Colorado. Colorado and New Mexico has had one heck of a weird year, usually dry and sunny but the wet spring has felt more like up in the Northeast, but it is making everything very green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado