U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 PM

607 posts, read 3,258,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_hyacinth View Post
Hi! I would also like to know what you mean by "a little cowboyish," especially since you follow up with "but..." It sounds like "cowboyish" is a negative thing in your description. I'm not trying to be critical in any way, I just wonder what that means. We're thinking of relocating to Colorado, and I've been told that Cortez is a "cowboy" kind of town. What would a "cowboyish" town feel like to someone from the California coast?

Do you mean most people there know how to ride and groom horses?
Do you mean people make great chili and haven't tried Thai food?
Do you mean they wear wide-brimmed hats a lot?
Do you mean they think there are only two types of music, country and western?
Do you mean denim and Pendleton shirts are okay for any occasion?
Do you mean people have independent spirits and a love of freedom?

Anybody want to help explain this term, as used in Colorado?

Thanks,

Blue
BLUE!.....You just described me. (except for the chili part)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 PM

30 posts, read 176,712 times
Default Is Ft. Collins green?

We are seriously considering a move to Colorado and have heard wonderful things about Ft. Collins. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not it is green and how often it rains? Are the schools good and how conservative are the people? We are coming from so cal (hi desert area) and are in desperate need of a change. Also, is it very family friendly? Thanks for any info.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 77,893 times
Default Howdy!

Nice to meet you, Dennis S.

Everyone I talked with in Colorado was really good to be around, friendly and interesting.

Blue

Old 11-11-2006, 04:11 AM

827 posts, read 4,540,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostress13 View Post
We are seriously considering a move to Colorado and have heard wonderful things about Ft. Collins. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not it is green and how often it rains? Are the schools good and how conservative are the people? We are coming from so cal (hi desert area) and are in desperate need of a change. Also, is it very family friendly? Thanks for any info.
I will let others who are from that area answer better, but I can tell you it isn't a desert or anything like that. It isn't in the mountains, but not far from them. It has a lot of green trees, grass and such in the city, so I guess you could classify it as being green. It isn't the green thick forests of the mountains or the lush green of back east. I guess you would say it is somewhere in between.

Here is a pic of Fort Collins so you can see it is green.
http://www.housing.colostate.edu/con...ortCollins.jpg

Old 11-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_hyacinth View Post
Nice to meet you, Dennis S.

Everyone I talked with in Colorado was really good to be around, friendly and interesting.

Blue
Blue.........
I'm stuck in south Florida and the people are mean and nasty everyone is out for themselves. All anyone thinks about is money. They judge one another by what they drive and wear and not by what the say and think. People ask me all the time "are you a redneck" because I wear western boots and flannel and drive a Chevy pickup instead of an S U V. I tell them "You're an idiot"....(Well I don't really say that but I think it). I've been a horseman all of my life and it's very, very expensive to keep horses in western Palm Beach so I'm going to move to Colorado and live the real life. I can't wait to ski on snow as skiing on the sand is really messing up my skis.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM

44 posts, read 146,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Hi Blue_hyacinth,
Cortez has a lot of ranches with horses and real cowboys. You will see cattle right in people's yards in places. Pickups are more common than fancy SUVs. Jeans are the staple clothing. Women often wear turquoise and cowboy boots instead of diamonds and Gucci. Cowboy hats or baseball caps are quite common, but not everyone is going around with cowboy hats. If they do, they are genuine. When they wear a cowboy hat, they are a cowboy. As I am sure you are well aware of, when someone from Beverly Hills wears a cowboy hat on Rodeo, he is a cowboy wannabe. The people are kind and friendly and will stop and "shoot the bull" or just talk about what is going on, even if you are a stranger. Neighbors watch other neighbors's homes when they are away and even mow their lawns for them. A popular dance won't be the ballroom dance tango, but a square dance. That is what a cowboy town is all about. I would think a cowboyish town would be the same thing, but maybe not a total western cowboy town or having a mix of other people, so not completely a cowboy town.

That's exactly what this cowgirl wannabe wants! I work with horses and discovered how important my eyes are to communicating with my horses....so I wear a cowboy hat instead of sunglasses (or a baseball cap). Being it rains quite a bit here in MI the cowboy hat gives a little more protection. And....since I'm with these amazing animals all day long, that's about all I own is Jeans. dressing this way in MI can attract attention I want to live where I just look normal! I guess I need to pay attention, when one describes a town as cowboyish? Cause that would be the town for me!

God Bless,
Catherine

Old 03-09-2007, 03:04 PM

585 posts, read 1,949,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostress13 View Post
I've lived in Fort Collins for 10 years. The town is fairly green because people water their lawns A LOT. However, the surrounding areas are quite dry unless it's irrigated. It is a semi arid climate. Last year was really bad, no rain in June and most of the native grasses and forbs didn't even come up. Maybe this long drought will turn around this year. About 10 years ago it was a little greener and we got a little more rain. Right now it might be a little greener than S Cal, but probably not much.

The city is about 30 minutes from National Forest and there are some state parks a few miles outside of town. The forests in the area are rather scrubby ponderosa pine forests unless you get way up in the hills where it is greener. Poudre Canyon is quite busy with lots of people on the river and trails.

Besides the drought and the crazy growth, FC is a great town. A good mix of blue collar and white collar. The town itself is probably slightly left of center but not much. Low crime, dog friendly, lots of families. The downtown is the best part, so is the beer it makes.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 35,506 times
Dennis,
U R so right about Floridians "narrow" thinking! (I live here, I understand, AND am trying to get out to Denver area- LOL!)
Be true to yourself and if that means driving a Chevy and wearing cowboy boots then DO IT!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 PM

431 posts, read 2,499,884 times
I am afraid those narrow minded narcissistic rude people are everywhere. Sad to say. I have found them even in my church. Biggest problem is, they are so biased and self absorbed they don't even understand when you tell them. They think you are talking about someone else. The comment I love is---they are well educated nicest people, Guess no one can be nice if they don't have college degrees. Sure a great number of so called educated people in prison. BUT they are NICE!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreenie1 View Post
Dennis,
U R so right about Floridians "narrow" thinking! (I live here, I understand, AND am trying to get out to Denver area- LOL!)
Be true to yourself and if that means driving a Chevy and wearing cowboy boots then DO IT!!!
HEY KREENIE, thanks for the support I just got these great croc boots and i'm gonna wear them to Palm Beach tomorrow. If anyone gives me a look I'm gonna walk right up and say Kreenie said it was O.K..

Then, after my booking and fingerprinting down at the physco ward........

thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or