U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 17,021 times

Advertisements

Are you still looking for more advice on Colorado? I live in south Denver and would be happy to give you some advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 AM

8 posts, read 23,050 times
Default Another CADD Drafter moving to colorado :)

Hi,
me and my wife are moving very soon to Colorado. Pretty much we are sick out of the East coast thing. We love mountains,nature and just be out there, so Colorado sounds to be a great place for living too
I am trying to relocate with my present company - they have two offices in Denver and one in Colorado Springs, but nothing is for certain yet. So, we are considering renting first and then buy a home. We need nothing fancy, just a confortable, nice and friendly neighborhood.
Does anyone have any suggestions, experiences, ideas that wants to share?
Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 10:19 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacalhau View Post
Hi, me and my wife are moving very soon to Colorado. Pretty much we are sick out of the East coast thing. We love mountains,nature and just be out there, so Colorado sounds to be a great place for living too. I am trying to relocate with my present company - they have two offices in Denver and one in Colorado Springs, but nothing is for certain yet. So, we are considering renting first and then buy a home. We need nothing fancy, just a confortable, nice and friendly neighborhood.
Does anyone have any suggestions, experiences, ideas that wants to share?
Thanks
- Renting for a year in either city is a good idea, just toooo much to pick from in both areas.
- COL SPGS is lower cost than Denver. Big industry is Defense and aerospace, with a need for CADD dudes.
- Denver has more job opportunities. Some Defense work up there too.
- Denver has much better cultural offerings and things to do.
- Not sure what type housing you prefer. The close-in west side of COL SPGS has "Old Colorado City" with small older homes with 'character' and many are painted up like the old Victorians in San Francisco. Kind of cool funky part of town with walkable streets and a very short trip to the main downtown. It is right on Rte 24, the main state highway out of town into the mountains and all the outdoor stuff you'd ever want.
- If you like standard subdivisions, recommend the N.E. side, zip code 80920 for searching in http://www.realtor.com (broken link).
- Zip codes for Old Colorado City area are 80904 and 80907.

s/Mike

Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 23,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
- Renting for a year in either city is a good idea, just toooo much to pick from in both areas.
- COL SPGS is lower cost than Denver. Big industry is Defense and aerospace, with a need for CADD dudes.
- Denver has more job opportunities. Some Defense work up there too.
- Denver has much better cultural offerings and things to do.
- Not sure what type housing you prefer. The close-in west side of COL SPGS has "Old Colorado City" with small older homes with 'character' and many are painted up like the old Victorians in San Francisco. Kind of cool funky part of town with walkable streets and a very short trip to the main downtown. It is right on Rte 24, the main state highway out of town into the mountains and all the outdoor stuff you'd ever want.
- If you like standard subdivisions, recommend the N.E. side, zip code 80920 for searching in http://www.realtor.com (broken link).
- Zip codes for Old Colorado City area are 80904 and 80907.

s/Mike
Thanks Mike,
Do you happen to know the names of the defense and aerospace industries?
It would help me search their career sites for a job.
What do you know about surrounding Denver? So far seems that NW, W and some SW of Denver are good places to live
As far as housing, I don't mind character, as long as it doesn't mean handyman on-site required or it's refering to the neighbors...
Thanks once again, your comments were very usefull

Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Thanks Mike, Do you happen to know the names of the defense and aerospace industries? It would help me search their career sites for a job. What do you know about surrounding Denver? So far seems that NW, W and some SW of Denver are good places to live. As far as housing, I don't mind character, as long as it doesn't mean handyman on-site required or it's refering to the neighbors... Thanks once again, your comments were very usefull
Lockheed-Martin is big here, but there are about 50+ firms supporting all aspects of NORAD, Homeland Defense, USAF Academy, Peterson and Schreiber USAF bases, US Army Fort Carson, Ballistic Missile Defense Agency and more. If you have a federal security clearance already that is a big plus with getting hired quickly with some of these firms.

Use Search this Forum tool with keyword Lockheed or defense or Intel, and check the radio button "find posts" and the search tool will pull up all the old postings that include this data. FYI, search does not work unless the term is 4 letters or longer.

Denver is great, but I'm unable to advise much beyond that there is a Denver Tech Center (aka DTC) on the south side, and that you can find just about anything you want up there in the way of prices, styles, even public transit.

People are friendly in both places. I like Col Spgs because I can get to almost anything here in 20 minutes...read my tome in 'why choose colorado springs' for the high points.

Either way, either city.....You're Gonna Love Colorado!

s/Mike

Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,725 times
Amen Coltoncity!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,569,857 times
Quote:
Thanks Mike,
Do you happen to know the names of the defense and aerospace industries?
It would help me search their career sites for a job.
What do you know about surrounding Denver? So far seems that NW, W and some SW of Denver are good places to live
As far as housing, I don't mind character, as long as it doesn't mean handyman on-site required or it's refering to the neighbors...
Thanks once again, your comments were very usefull
I work directly with A&D customers in my job. Local representation includes Lockheed, as well as Ball Aerospace, L-3 Communications, Northrop Grumman, Honeywell, Raytheon, SAIC...a lot of the major players are in the area in some capacity.

The job market is largely driven by these companies competing for big contracts...and in an election year I'm not sure how good business is going to be with the threat of a new administration coming in and 'cleaning house'. The GAO is putting a lot more scrutiny on contracts these days, since they typically have been financial black holes.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 42,104 times
If you have located to Colorado Springs and are looking for a home, I have one in a great neighborhood, Old Farm. If you want some information about it please let me know. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
My boyfriend is from Ohio and I am from the tropical island of Puerto Rico. We live in Florida right now, but he doesn't want to stay here. He wants to move to Colorado and I am not so sure about it. Coming from a tropical island I am not too convince I want to move to a cold place. I have never been there before. He wants to move to either Denver or Colorado Springs. I have seen very negative comments, so I would like to know a little more about the area. We are both healthcare professionals, so I would appreciate some info about good hospitals as well. I want to say thank you in advance for the info.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantiz7 View Post
My boyfriend is from Ohio and I am from the tropical island of Puerto Rico. We live in Florida right now, but he doesn't want to stay here. He wants to move to Colorado and I am not so sure about it. Coming from a tropical island I am not too convince I want to move to a cold place. I have never been there before. He wants to move to either Denver or Colorado Springs. I have seen very negative comments, so I would like to know a little more about the area. We are both healthcare professionals, so I would appreciate some info about good hospitals as well. I want to say thank you in advance for the info.
I'd say for starters the biggest change will be the weather, where in Florida you have summer as the dominate weather pattern and with plenty of humidity and sea level air, Colorado is the inverse with winter the dominate weather pattern and very dry, thin air. It's going to be a total switch around to what you are used to.

The culture and lifestyle is also very different, so I would visit first before taking it any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or