U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 15,058 times

Advertisements

let me introduce myself.

my names nick, im 20 years young, moved to aspen in late november, snowboarded all season long and loved it (it was my 1st season on snow). i want the snowboard bum life, so i want a town thats like that

i moved to aspen because my older brothers here, he helped me get set up with a job and stuff and buys me beer. but now that ive been here a while, im not sure if this is really what i want right now.

anything in aspen costs assloads of money. i cringe everytime i pass by a fur or hand bag shop. there seems to be a lot more old people than young people. there are lots of illegal aliens here. some of the good bars and shops are being closed down (cooper street, ajax bikes- being turned into an expensive retail shop)

so to those who have been to or live in telluride, how is it? is it more of a party town? has it been tainted by the corporation monster like aspen has?
would any other town fit my wants better? maybe jackson hole?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 03:41 AM

827 posts, read 4,543,404 times
Telluride is a beautiful city in a boxed in canyon but it is small and very expensive. Most homes are 1 million dollars plus. Not a lot of jobs either. Durango would fit you better. They have an awesome ski resort with lots of snowboarders, lots of young people and lots of jobs. It is a college city so lots of apartments too and many of them roommate to help on costs. Durango is way cheaper then Apsen or Telluride. It is still costly but no where near Apsen. So check it out. Oh and they are really going to make the resort a world class resort. It also has some great powder too and it isn't as cold as Apsen. I ski there and sometimes I have to take my coat off, it is too warm but the snow is great!. There are a lot of things to do in Durango too. Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 61,282 times
Default Did you ever think about Steamboat Springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall pink
let me introduce myself.

my names nick, im 20 years young, moved to aspen in late november, snowboarded all season long and loved it (it was my 1st season on snow). i want the snowboard bum life, so i want a town thats like that

i moved to aspen because my older brothers here, he helped me get set up with a job and stuff and buys me beer. but now that ive been here a while, im not sure if this is really what i want right now.

anything in aspen costs assloads of money. i cringe everytime i pass by a fur or hand bag shop. there seems to be a lot more old people than young people. there are lots of illegal aliens here. some of the good bars and shops are being closed down (cooper street, ajax bikes- being turned into an expensive retail shop)

so to those who have been to or live in telluride, how is it? is it more of a party town? has it been tainted by the corporation monster like aspen has?
Me and my husband have a couple mountain homes in Colorado. One is in Crested Butte and the other is in Evergreen but I love to snowboard while my husband and daughter love to ski! We've always loved Steamboat but you are gonna find some real pricey homes in Telluride and just a handful of good people. Or try our Crested Butte which is a stones-throw from Aspen or Carbondale. Because my husband is wayy older than me...don't tell him I said that only kidding, but Steamboat has a way younger crowd than most other skiing towns!

Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 PM

246 posts, read 204,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall pink
let me introduce myself.

Nick -- first off let me just say that you are my god!!!

Would that I had your dilemma. In any case, why not try somewhere near Big Sky, MT? The mountain there is made for boarding and it's not been ruined by fat oldies with more money than skills.

Or maybe Steamboat?

Magpies

Old 01-16-2007, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,860 times
Hey Nick. Im very much interested what you are saying.

Im from the UK, 21, and looking to come out to the USA for a season. The question is for me though, is where are there a lot of young people to meet etc, I was thinking Aspen, but i have a feeling itll be as you have described!

This Durango place sounds good, although Ive never heard of it - are there many young people about and the like?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 159,295 times
You'd probably like the Durango area best becuase it is less expensive and it has a younger crowd because of the college. Pagosa Springs is also a big ski bum town as Wolf Creek ski resort usually has the most snow in Colorado but it's a small town.

Just one comment on one of your other concerns. You will almost definitely never find a town anywhere in Colorado that does not have a large population of illegal aliens. You'll have to get used to it or find a new state. :P

Old 01-17-2007, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 24,269 times
Telleride, you need money too. Crested Butte is really young, and fun. Guess you better find something to do for fun and money?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM

157 posts, read 578,238 times
Default the season in Durango

Hey Cowb00y,

For more info on Durango, check out the thread "Would like a little guidance..." started by Boden in the Colo. forum - page 4 today.

You might also check into Alta ski resort - outside Salt Lake City, Utah I think. I have had some friends from Dgo who go there for the winter to work and ride - they say its a good time, but I've never been so I can't say for sure. Just an idea. Good luck and enjoy

Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM

476 posts, read 2,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbh00y View Post
Hey Nick. Im very much interested what you are saying.

Im from the UK, 21, and looking to come out to the USA for a season. The question is for me though, is where are there a lot of young people to meet etc, I was thinking Aspen, but i have a feeling itll be as you have described!

This Durango place sounds good, although Ive never heard of it - are there many young people about and the like?
Hi Cowbh00y, Skigirl is right. Durango has a lot of young people. Over 5,000 just college students not to mention all the ski bums, ski bunnies and other ski hounds. Durango is a lot cheaper to live than Aspen, Telluride or Steamboat. Aspen and Telluride are for multi-millionaires and Steamboat is expensive too. Durango has lots of apartments many under 1,000 a month or even less, generally around 800 US dollars. You can buy a cheaper condo too for around 200,000 US dollars, the classy ones are around 400,000 US. So for a ski bum, Durango is great! You are also not far from one of the best ski resorts in Colorado, Wolf Creek. Durango Ski Resort is great too. They are building a lot of new stuff and turning it into a great resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or