U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,815,081 times

Advertisements

vegaspilgrim wrote:
When I think desert and truly dry & sunny places, I think of locations much farther south in the Mojave (LV), Sonoran (PHX, Tucson), or Chihuahuan (ABQ, El Paso) deserts. Even though if you take Tucson as an example, you'll see that Tucson gets more annual precipitation (11.7in) than GJ.
The desert in the GJ area is some of the most barren desert I've ever seen, especially on the north side of I-70. Some of the other deserts you mention are lushly vegetated with Saguharos, Joshua Trees, big sage brush bushes, and generally more desert vegetation.

BTW, as I look out the window, I notice that wet dust is now coating the windows. When I lived in Virginia Beach, I'd leave my car out in the driveway for a free car wash when it rained. If you do that in Grand Junction you have to take your car to the car wash to wash off the dusty rain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 PM

16,488 posts, read 20,864,129 times
Yep, I got another dirt shower a while ago! You heard it from Cosmic first, me second!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM

I was lucky. I got my car into the garage before the dirt shower started. It's a beautiful sunny day today. Looks like it'll be one of those not-a-cloud-in-the-sky days.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 AM

50 posts, read 128,837 times
it's better than albany, ny, that's all i gotta say....

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM

Oh it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Albany, NY!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-26-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM

1,438 posts, read 2,348,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I know that Grand Junction can be technically classified by some as a "desert" climate, as it averages only 8.6in of precipitation a year, but I don't really think of Grand Junction as a true, full blown desert. Grand Junction, every time I've been there, as recently as a few weeks ago, feels not much different than the Front Range weather-wise, only with different scenery. When I think desert and truly dry & sunny places, I think of locations much farther south in the Mojave (LV), Sonoran (PHX, Tucson), or Chihuahuan (ABQ, El Paso) deserts. Even though if you take Tucson as an example, you'll see that Tucson gets more annual precipitation (11.7in) than GJ.
I think of the Grand Junction area as a desert (technically the Great Basin desert) since it meets both the climatic criteria (under 10" precip. per year), and the vegetation criteria (shrub-dominated with intervening bare ground). Sometimes these types of deserts are called cold or temperate deserts. Compared to a subtropical desert (such as the Sonoran), or even a mild temperate desert (Mojave or Chihuauan) the vegetation will be less diverse given similar levels of precipitation because the plants in these areas must deal with both cold and dryness. Still I love sagebrush, and sandstone rock formations so I'm quite fond of the GJ area.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,498,787 times
Grand Junction is a true, full blown desert. High desert maybe, but desert all the way.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM

529 posts, read 1,245,796 times
I know this thread is 5 years old, but I just wanted to settle this crazy debate that everyone seems to misinterpret and present false facts about. This argument is still debated so even though this thread is old it's still very valid.

Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico are all sunnier than Colorado, but not by a huge amount. I believe Colorado is like the 6th sunniest state overall so anyone who thinks there's a HUGE and DRASTIC annual difference in sunshine between Arizona and Colorado is wrong. It's like a difference of only 15%!

Saying Colorado claims 300 days is wrong, Denver claims this not the whole state. Although there are places in Colorado that do average 300 or more days of sun. Pueblo for example averages 3500 hours of sun a year and this equates to about 300 days a year. Grand Junction averages 3300 or 285 days a year. Denver averages 3150 hours or so which equals 260 to 270 days a year. People never do the calculations and realize that 30 days or so less of sunshine a year is not a big difference. It's like only 3 less days a month!

A city's sunshine is measured in hours not days, so the people who think a sunny day in Denver is measured simply by a day where the sun comes out for a while are spouting completely irrelevant stuff. Denver has roughly 3150 hours of sunshine, and this would equate to approximately 260 to 270 days of sun. 270 may not exactly equal 300, but 300 days only means an extra 3 sunny days every month so its not a huge difference at all. By the way all states and cities exaggerate their weather stats, California and mostly L.A. and San Diego claim it's sunny there all the time, yet stats show that the hours of sun in both of those cities is comparable to Denver. San Diego is usually always cloudy from October through December most every day, yet no one ever calls them out for their lie. So in the end I'm not sure why people here are picking on Denver and Colorado and saying that the city and state "lie" about the climate and are the only ones in the US to do so?

Phoenix AZ and Las Vegas NV average 3800 hours of sun, and if you did the proper math required to convert this to days then that would be about 316. When comparing this to Denver at 260 to 270 days all this means is that Phoenix averages an extra 5 sunny days each month more than Denver. THIS IS NOT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!! Vegaspilgrim seems to think Phoenix is sunnier 15 more days a month but provides no facts or resources for this claim. It's false anyways. Phoenix is sunnier than Denver, but not by a huge amount when measuring annual data. One could say Denver is sunny 22 days of the month and Phoenix is sunny 27 days of the month, see how it's not a big difference! Math doesn't lie!

I'll take five fewer sunny days a month in Denver over the 110 degree heat in Phoenix and Las Vegas from June to September any day!

Besides why is 3 less days a month of sun something to get so angry over and bash Denver for making up a "huge" lie about? Since when is 3 days a huge difference? I just don't understand at all. Stop using your personal perceptions as facts people, I mean come on. If Denver started claiming that it's sunny 270 days instead of 300 would people be happy? Plenty of people would also think this is a huge difference because no one considers actually thinking about how sun is measured nor do they realize the very small difference when actually calculating the stats! 30 fewer days a year doesn't equal 10 fewer days each month! Come On everyone! If you people think Denver is only sunny 200 days a year you are 100% wrong!

Personal perception is the leading source when people mention sunshine in Denver, but facts are facts!

People seem to think that just because the actual sunny days in Denver are slightly less than 300 that it's not very sunny here. What? I mean Vegaspilgrim seems to think that Denver is only sunny 150 days a year just because it's less than 300 and less than Phoenix. I mean Denver never claims to be sunnier than Phoenix so what's the point? 270 vs 316 is not a big difference! Also as mentioned Denver is still sunnier than every other major city in the US outside the three states of AZ, NV, and NM and Pueblo, CO! Plus it's only like 5 days less a month on average.

Also Grand Junction is 100% desert, it's just cool desert and not hot desert like Phoenix is. Vegaspilgrim just doesn't realize that desert doesn't always equal HOT Phoenix climate.

Desert=Less than 20 or so inches of rain a year regardless of temperature.

BTW here are links to prove my points... also check Wikipedia, I know Wikipedia is sketchy and not always accurate but they do reference the NOAA as their source for weather stats. The NOAA site is confusing but check it out for yourself and see the facts.
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/maps/pd..._AnnualSun.pdf
Climate of Denver, Colorado, Usa Average Weather

Last edited by JMM64; 06-30-2014 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 09:58 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,201,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd classify that as just about perfect. Love it when it happens.
And the reverse is equally pleasant - 2" of snow followed by sun.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:07 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,172,164 times
[quote=xeric;35468343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
A city's sunshine is measured in hours not days, so the people who think a sunny day in Denver is measured simply by a day where the sun comes out for a while are spouting completely irrelevant stuff. Denver has roughly 3150 hours of sunshine, and this would equate to approximately 260 to 270 days of sun. 270 may not exactly equal 300, but 300 days only means an extra 3 sunny days every month so its not a huge difference at all. By the way all states and cities exaggerate their weather stats, California and mostly L.A. and San Diego claim it's sunny there all the time, yet stats show that the hours of sun in both of those cities is comparable to Denver. San Diego is usually always cloudy from October through December most every day, yet no one ever calls them out for their lie. So in the end I'm not sure why people here are picking on Denver and Colorado and saying that the city
And don't forget all the days of "Marine Layer" in coastal California. Although I personally liked the "June Gloom". It looks rather "marine layer-ish" in Denver this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or