U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,938,705 times

Advertisements

I talked the the national weather service in Pueblo on this topic and depending on how define it Pueblo does get over 300 days of sunshine a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 AM

82 posts, read 64,743 times
I'll be moving to Colorado in about 3 and a half weeks. Either grand junction or glenwood springs, specifically, from Nashville. Whether it's 270 or 300 days has no meaning for me at the moment, I just want to get away from this hell that swaps between sweltering humidity and pouring rain. There's no way for it to cool off here without raining and then when it does, you can't go outside. I have no idea how I've lasted here until almost 23 but I'll never come back.

I recognize long term westerners have some level of stake in the argument but to me, I'm just ready for ANY improvement over my current environment as you can tell by my screen name.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:48 PM

2,652 posts, read 2,293,152 times
300 days of sunshine is misleading and a lie. When considering sunshine, I think sunny (clear) days with less than 30% of cloud cover ALL DAY. Sunny in the morning and afternoon thunderstorms in the summer is not a clear day. Denver averaging 115 days of clear days (69%) is not a high percentage of sunshine, compared to Phoenix at 85% or Yuma at 90%.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...pctposrank.txt

Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,386,265 times
Yeah, "300 Days of Sunshine" is mostly suited to advertising and marketing campaigns. It's really not to be held as anything scientific. I'm surprised how many people buy into it.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM

20,815 posts, read 39,009,891 times
In my experience, just about every day starts out sunny. Most days in the summer will see clouds develop as the day proceeds, often with a brief storm passing through, then back to sunshine. Very few days each year start cloudy and stay cloudy all day.

I'm sure somewhere there are stats on hours of sunshine per day that show more hours of sun or less hours of sun in other areas but I'm not going to waste my time looking for them; for my purposes 300 days of sunshine seems more than accurate, not worth splitting hairs over.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:33 AM

262 posts, read 289,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
300 days of sunshine is misleading and a lie. When considering sunshine, I think sunny (clear) days with less than 30% of cloud cover ALL DAY. Sunny in the morning and afternoon thunderstorms in the summer is not a clear day. Denver averaging 115 days of clear days (69%) is not a high percentage of sunshine, compared to Phoenix at 85% or Yuma at 90%.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...pctposrank.txt
I totally agree with you! A sunny day can't be defined by a day when the sun shines for at least 10 minutes, or else Seattle would be nearly always sunny! A sunny/clear day is a day with a negligible cloud cover all day, normally less than 10%. A mostly sunny/mostly clear day has 10% to 30% of cloud cover. A real sunny day is almost cloud-free. I frequently check the weather forecast for Denver and trust me, it's not really sunny unlike the desert cities (Las Vegas, Phoenix, Yuma...). In terms of clear-sky conditions in the US, the Desert Southwest is by far the champion. No other area comes close to it.

Last edited by tpactionreplay; 07-01-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 AM

I would disagree. A thunderstorm that comes and goes is still a clear day in my book as most of the day is sunny and hot. As I posted from talking to the national weather service Pueblo does get over 300 days of sunshine a year.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:35 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,386,265 times
The moral of the story is.... if someone wants their town to be annointed with the sacred "300 Days of Sunshine" label and brag about it to others, they can play with data until it is reached. In the end though, it's silly and doesn't amount to anything. And, just because some governmental agency (National Weather Service) says something, doesn't make it a law of the universe. It's based on interpretation and choices as to how to categorize the data, all manipulated by humans.

By the way, my town has more soil than any others. Top that! (wink)

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 07-01-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM

Starting today I will keep track of the sunny days in pueblo till July 1 2016 and post it here every month. Then I can see for myself how many days Pueblo has. I will post on the first of every month that months total and the running total.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 AM

20,815 posts, read 39,009,891 times
Today was another one of those days that started with no clouds in sight, but quick hitting storms are expected to pass over later in the day. IMO this counts as a sunny day and most days are like this. There are a few big white puffy clouds rolling by now at mid-day but that doesn't make this a cloudy day or a non-sunny day. Call it as you see fit.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or