U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 08:27 AM

12,170 posts, read 20,925,567 times

Advertisements

In January Pueblo had 3 cloudy days. Since July 1 that puts the number of cloudy days in Pueblo at 18.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 01:47 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,193,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Here in Denver, I awoke to another bright, blue-sky day and thought, "not again." I'm over it. Past the age of 50 or 60, it starts to wear on you. The sun beats on me like loud noise. I put on my RayBans, my broad-brimmed hat, and venture forth. If I do this religiously, I might not be feeding yet another skin cancer or cataract. If I plan it right, I'll avoid driving into a low afternoon or morning sun bright enough to paint images of the blood vessels in my retinas if I'm forced to glance at it. And since it's a "perfect day," no clouds will intrude on the blue emptiness all day.

Why does our culture value sunlight so highly? I suspect it's because so much of our literature comes out of gloomy England and Europe, where the day I've described might be a once-a-month occurrence. (I should find some Hispanics and ask them if they share that preference.)The sunny preference has been hammered in by hundreds of pop songs using the most convenient metaphor for happiness. "Here comes the sun/It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiney/ day..." Yeah, right! But what I'd give now for an all-day rain to wash away the drab coat of dust and grime that settles over Denver for six months a year. Or just any kind of weather change that adds some drama or sense of event to the day. I am SO ready to leave this sun-baked pile of dusty rocks, forever!
And I woke up to yet another cold grey day in Chicago wishing for any amount of sun and warmth to make it a pleasant day.

If it's sunny, I'm happier. I have a high tenancy to go outside, even if cold. If it's cloudy, I'm more lethargic.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 PM

4,690 posts, read 4,312,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Here in Denver, I awoke to another bright, blue-sky day and thought, "not again." I'm over it. Past the age of 50 or 60, it starts to wear on you. The sun beats on me like loud noise. I put on my RayBans, my broad-brimmed hat, and venture forth. If I do this religiously, I might not be feeding yet another skin cancer or cataract. If I plan it right, I'll avoid driving into a low afternoon or morning sun bright enough to paint images of the blood vessels in my retinas if I'm forced to glance at it. And since it's a "perfect day," no clouds will intrude on the blue emptiness all day.

Why does our culture value sunlight so highly? I suspect it's because so much of our literature comes out of gloomy England and Europe, where the day I've described might be a once-a-month occurrence. (I should find some Hispanics and ask them if they share that preference.)The sunny preference has been hammered in by hundreds of pop songs using the most convenient metaphor for happiness. "Here comes the sun/It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshiney/ day..." Yeah, right! But what I'd give now for an all-day rain to wash away the drab coat of dust and grime that settles over Denver for six months a year. Or just any kind of weather change that adds some drama or sense of event to the day. I am SO ready to leave this sun-baked pile of dusty rocks, forever!
Wow! You have just won the coveted Rambler prize for most bizarre reason to hate Colorado. DM me and I'll send the special award certificate to you via a hi-jacked Amazon drone. And Denver apparently has made giant strides in air pollution control since the last time I was escaping the place, watching the brown cloud subside in my rear view mirror. I presume you must have designs upon somewhere in the PNW due to the tone of your post? Well, have at it. I hate the PNW unless it happens to be August and the sun has made some attempt to appear. I don't care about culture. I am a SW gal down to my sunny little bones. I love blue skies and sunshine because I do - not because some song ordered me to. And you can't have it both ways - "bright, blue-sky" plus "drab coat of dust and grime" does not compute. Choose one or the other and get it over with.

I have an entire collection of sun glasses of different hues that I can put on to match my mood - let's see rose colored or the nice yellow, especially for driving ones? I suspect that somewhere along the line one of my ancestors must have been Native American or African American because I go tan in about 30 minutes and some summers I tan so dark that people start talking to me in Spanish. Hah! I love it. I know I was a bad girl to never use sun block, but it is too late to worry about it now. Use sun screen everyone. Do not try Rambler's blythe indifference to skin cancer on your own! As for cataracts, my eye doctor told me that everyone starts to develop them if they live long enough, so I'll worry about them if I live long enough to worry. Best wishes to us both as we enter into cranky old age. Oh, and never ever but never come near the Four Corners. We have those horrid blue skies almost all the time. Someone has got to put up with all that sunshine, and it might as well be me.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:57 AM

There was only one cloudy day in February. That means since July there has only been 19 cloudy days in Pueblo!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 1,790,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
I know this thread is 5 years old, but I just wanted to settle this crazy debate that everyone seems to misinterpret and present false facts about. This argument is still debated so even though this thread is old it's still very valid.

Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico are all sunnier than Colorado, but not by a huge amount. I believe Colorado is like the 6th sunniest state overall so anyone who thinks there's a HUGE and DRASTIC annual difference in sunshine between Arizona and Colorado is wrong. It's like a difference of only 15%!

Saying Colorado claims 300 days is wrong, Denver claims this not the whole state. Although there are places in Colorado that do average 300 or more days of sun. Pueblo for example averages 3500 hours of sun a year and this equates to about 300 days a year. Grand Junction averages 3300 or 285 days a year. Denver averages 3150 hours or so which equals 260 to 270 days a year. People never do the calculations and realize that 30 days or so less of sunshine a year is not a big difference. It's like only 3 less days a month!

A city's sunshine is measured in hours not days, so the people who think a sunny day in Denver is measured simply by a day where the sun comes out for a while are spouting completely irrelevant stuff. Denver has roughly 3150 hours of sunshine, and this would equate to approximately 260 to 270 days of sun. 270 may not exactly equal 300, but 300 days only means an extra 3 sunny days every month so its not a huge difference at all. By the way all states and cities exaggerate their weather stats, California and mostly L.A. and San Diego claim it's sunny there all the time, yet stats show that the hours of sun in both of those cities is comparable to Denver. San Diego is usually always cloudy from October through December most every day, yet no one ever calls them out for their lie. So in the end I'm not sure why people here are picking on Denver and Colorado and saying that the city and state "lie" about the climate and are the only ones in the US to do so?

Phoenix AZ and Las Vegas NV average 3800 hours of sun, and if you did the proper math required to convert this to days then that would be about 316. When comparing this to Denver at 260 to 270 days all this means is that Phoenix averages an extra 5 sunny days each month more than Denver. THIS IS NOT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!! Vegaspilgrim seems to think Phoenix is sunnier 15 more days a month but provides no facts or resources for this claim. It's false anyways. Phoenix is sunnier than Denver, but not by a huge amount when measuring annual data. One could say Denver is sunny 22 days of the month and Phoenix is sunny 27 days of the month, see how it's not a big difference! Math doesn't lie!

I'll take five fewer sunny days a month in Denver over the 110 degree heat in Phoenix and Las Vegas from June to September any day!

Besides why is 3 less days a month of sun something to get so angry over and bash Denver for making up a "huge" lie about? Since when is 3 days a huge difference? I just don't understand at all. Stop using your personal perceptions as facts people, I mean come on. If Denver started claiming that it's sunny 270 days instead of 300 would people be happy? Plenty of people would also think this is a huge difference because no one considers actually thinking about how sun is measured nor do they realize the very small difference when actually calculating the stats! 30 fewer days a year doesn't equal 10 fewer days each month! Come On everyone! If you people think Denver is only sunny 200 days a year you are 100% wrong!

Personal perception is the leading source when people mention sunshine in Denver, but facts are facts!

People seem to think that just because the actual sunny days in Denver are slightly less than 300 that it's not very sunny here. What? I mean Vegaspilgrim seems to think that Denver is only sunny 150 days a year just because it's less than 300 and less than Phoenix. I mean Denver never claims to be sunnier than Phoenix so what's the point? 270 vs 316 is not a big difference! Also as mentioned Denver is still sunnier than every other major city in the US outside the three states of AZ, NV, and NM and Pueblo, CO! Plus it's only like 5 days less a month on average.

Also Grand Junction is 100% desert, it's just cool desert and not hot desert like Phoenix is. Vegaspilgrim just doesn't realize that desert doesn't always equal HOT Phoenix climate.

Desert=Less than 20 or so inches of rain a year regardless of temperature.

BTW here are links to prove my points... also check Wikipedia, I know Wikipedia is sketchy and not always accurate but they do reference the NOAA as their source for weather stats. The NOAA site is confusing but check it out for yourself and see the facts.
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/maps/pd..._AnnualSun.pdf
Climate of Denver, Colorado, Usa Average Weather
JMM64, I agree on a lot of the points you make. I agree that Tucson and Phoenix are sunnier than Denver. However, when you claim San Diego is mostly cloudy from Oct-Dec, you are wrong. That's the time of year when So. Cal gets their infamous Santa Ana winds (dry air, clear skies, warm to hot temps.) I lived there over a decade. Their cloudy months, ironically, are May and June. Locals call it "may gray" and 'june gloom" due to the low clouds coming off the ocean and persisting for days on end.

In Denver's defense, I'd actually prefer more cloudy days for Phoenix than what we have. So, in summary, I'd say Denver has an almost ideal amount of sunshine (the Goldilocks syndrome) Too much sun is annoying; too little sun is depressing. Personally, I love cloudy days here in Phoenix. The clouds block the harsh sun.

Last edited by DougStark; 03-11-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 01:59 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,820,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
300 days of sunshine is different from saying 300 sunny days. The sun can shine for an hour and count as a "day of sunshine".

It's better to go by the % of possible sunshine. By that measure, Colorado is still quite sunny. Denver gets 70% of possible sunshine. Phoenix, however, gets 85%.

Places like Chicago only get in the low 50% range. New York and Boston in the mid to high 50% range.

Seattle and Portland, OR in the 45% range.

San Francisco 58% to 66% depending on what part of town.

Los Angelese 68% to 75% depending on part of town.

San Diego around 68% at the airport (close to the coast). Inland San Diego would be sunnier.
Exactly. There are parts of the notoriously cloudy and rainy Pacific NW that claim to have a high number of sunshine days, but on closer scrutiny, days that have an hour or two of sun are included in the count. Beware of any such PR.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 PM

Pueblo had 5 cloudy days in March making it the month with the most cloudy days since July. That means since July Pueblo has had 24 cloudy days.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:02 PM

In April Pueblo had 7 cloudy days making it the month with the most cloudy days since I started keeping track for my year long study last July. That makes 31 cloudy days so far since last July.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 PM

So in May Pueblo had 7 cloudy days. That means since my study began last July Pueblo has had 327 sunny days. So since there is only one month left we will have over 300 days of sunshine and possibly more then 320! Stay tuned......

Old 06-05-2016, 12:18 PM

1,048 posts, read 618,459 times
Florida is the sunshine state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or