Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,411,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Today was another one of those days that started with no clouds in sight, but quick hitting storms are expected to pass over later in the day. IMO this counts as a sunny day and most days are like this. There are a few big white puffy clouds rolling by now at mid-day but that doesn't make this a cloudy day or a non-sunny day. Call it as you see fit.
I agree. I count this as a sunny day in my opinion. I mean right now its sunny and in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM

3,401 posts, read 4,598,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I would disagree. A thunderstorm that comes and goes is still a clear day in my book as most of the day is sunny and hot. As I posted from talking to the national weather service Pueblo does get over 300 days of sunshine a year.
Good luck making plans that are outdoors in the afternoon without getting drenched or struck my lightning. I remember one time vacationing out in Las Vegas, and didn't have to worry about that in the afternoon. Yes it was hot, but not stormy.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,999,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Good luck making plans that are outdoors in the afternoon without getting drenched or struck my lightning. I remember one time vacationing out in Las Vegas, and didn't have to worry about that in the afternoon. Yes it was hot, but not stormy.
The forecast for today for Las Vegas is 106°F, Light showers, Partly sunny, Isolated thunderstorms in the evening.

So not only can you get showers in Las Vegas, but you get 106° temperatures on top of that.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,950,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Today was another one of those days that started with no clouds in sight, but quick hitting storms are expected to pass over later in the day. IMO this counts as a sunny day and most days are like this. There are a few big white puffy clouds rolling by now at mid-day but that doesn't make this a cloudy day or a non-sunny day. Call it as you see fit.
In my neck of the Front Range, it usually doesn't clear up after the storms until night or next morning. If it has clouded up by 2, and stays that way until after sunset, that makes it a partly-cloudy day. Boulder (where I lived before here) is mostly the same.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Do you think I am a hermit? In Pueblo it's usually hot then a quick storm then it's nice and not hot. Never really impacts my plans much.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 PM

270 posts, read 478,757 times
Quote:
I would disagree. A thunderstorm that comes and goes is still a clear day in my book as most of the day is sunny and hot. As I posted from talking to the national weather service Pueblo does get over 300 days of sunshine a year.
A sunny day normally involves the cloud cover percentage, rather than the sunshine duration. The sun may shine all day, being never hidden by the clouds even if the cloud cover of the day is 40%, this doesn't mean that the day is sunny (clear). This day will still be classified as a partly cloudy (partly sunny) day.

Also, sunny days are usually dry days, in 99% of the cases. It's somewhat hard to imagine a sunny rainy day, except if the cloud cover remains insignificant even during the eventual thunderstorms/downpours, which is almost impossible.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:25 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Been cloudy and rainy now for a couple of hours. A nice day for me, saves cost of running the sprinklers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
A sunny day normally involves the cloud cover percentage, rather than the sunshine duration. The sun may shine all day, being never hidden by the clouds even if the cloud cover of the day is 40%, this doesn't mean that the day is sunny (clear). This day will still be classified as a partly cloudy (partly sunny) day.

Also, sunny days are usually dry days, in 99% of the cases. It's somewhat hard to imagine a sunny rainy day, except if the cloud cover remains insignificant even during the eventual thunderstorms/downpours, which is almost impossible.
For my counting I am going to keep it simple.

I consider a sunny day to be mostly sunny but can have some clouds and even a thunderstorm or brief snowstorm in the winter. For example if its sunny all day and starts to snow at 4 or 5 I would consider it a sunny day. And today it was sunny most of the day but now a thunderstorm is moving through but most likely will be done in a hour or so so I consider today a sunny day and counted it as such.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:49 AM

270 posts, read 478,757 times
Quote:
For my counting I am going to keep it simple.

I consider a sunny day to be mostly sunny but can have some clouds and even a thunderstorm or brief snowstorm in the winter. For example if its sunny all day and starts to snow at 4 or 5 I would consider it a sunny day. And today it was sunny most of the day but now a thunderstorm is moving through but most likely will be done in a hour or so so I consider today a sunny day and counted it as such.
In fact, it's not a sunny day. It's either a mostly sunny day or a partly cloudy day, it depends only on the cloud cover fraction. The concept of "sunny" refers to a serene sky, when the feeling of "fine weather" isn't disturbed by the clouds, the rain, the snow... If a thunderstorm moves through, it basically can't be a sunny day, it can be a mostly sunny day at the best, and, even then...

Old 07-02-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
In fact, it's not a sunny day. It's either a mostly sunny day or a partly cloudy day, it depends only on the cloud cover fraction. The concept of "sunny" refers to a serene sky, when the feeling of "fine weather" isn't disturbed by the clouds, the rain, the snow... If a thunderstorm moves through, it basically can't be a sunny day, it can be a mostly sunny day at the best, and, even then...
I disagree as I still count it as a sunny day. Especially how most thunderstorms are here. The day starts out as hot then it rains cools off then clears up and it's nice outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado