U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 03:12 PM

151 posts, read 506,851 times

Advertisements

This isn't spam so Mike or whoever deleted this please read before doing so again.....
Next year we are driving across the country from Washington to Florida and would like to get local opinions on things not to miss. We are taking a month to go across and haven't decided where to go and what to see other than Yellowstone so I am needing ideas. Please help me out by giving me ideas of things in your state that we shouldn't miss--both tourist attractions and local favorites, etc. If you have thoughts on other areas too please fill me in.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,755,975 times
Do you know which route you're taking? If you're coming NW to SE you could stop by the Dinosaur National Monument, go south down to Mesa Verde, and then cut across to Colorado Springs for Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, the Royal Gorge, etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,642,060 times
Which month of the year are you planning on taking the trip?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 PM

151 posts, read 506,851 times
We are leaving in either early or late July and not sure which route to take, it depends on what sounds fun. I have a good friend in Colorado Springs so we were highly considering a trip that way from Yellowstone but would make a route to anything that shouldn't be missed if it sounds cool enough. I can google all I want but I find locals have more ideas than tourist sites.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM

16,488 posts, read 20,864,129 times
There are several ways to do this but this is the route I would take.

Take 191 out of Yellowstone National Park and head south. South of Rock Springs is the Flaming Gorge national Recreational Area, it is VERY impressive. Stay south on 191 to Vernal. Not much going on there but oil exploration. Good size town, though-population 20,000 or so. Turn on US 40 EB and proceed to the tiny town of Dinosaur. Dinosaur National Monument is a little north of there. From there head to Rangely on state highway 139, which takes you over Douglas Pass. It demands your undivided attention. Not a dangerous pass, though.Not much traffic on this road, just locals but there is a little bit of energy construction going on. 139 South leads you to Loma, then Grand Junction, which is a good place to spend the night. The airport exit has plenty of rooms, restaurants, and service stations. You'll want to spend the night there as you have already done 8 to 9 hours of driving.

Next day: Get on U.S. 50 southbound and go to Montrose. If you don't mind going 30 miles and then backtracking to Montrose, Ridgway offers killer views of the San Juan Mountain Range to the south and east. Head back to Montrose and proceed east on 50 to Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park. Awesome!! Stay east on 50 towards Gunnison. You scoot past Blue Mesa Reservoir, one of the top fishing and boating areas in Colorado. Stay east on 50 and go over the Continental Divide at Monarch Pass, elevation 11,312 feet. It's a hefty climb, but it's a good road, well maintained and there is ample room to park and take pictures of the surrounding mountain ranges. Salida is a good place to spend the night. Lots of rooms and restaurants on the HWY 50 bypass road.

Next day: You can go 2 ways. Head on hwy 24 north and follow it to the 24/285 split, stay east on 24 and head past Lake George, Woodland Park, to Colorado Springs. There are a lot of mountains in Colorado higher than Pikes Peak, but it is the most recognizable and gets the most ink from the tourist magazines. ........If you don't have THAT much time to kill stay east on 50, go through the Arkansas canyon (quite pretty) and you get to Interstate 25 at Pueblo. Then it is I-25 south through New Mexico and south and eastward to Florida through a variety of routes.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-26-2009 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,642,060 times
Not sure how much time you have, how far off the beaten track you want to go, but one idea is after you're done with Yellowstone, head into Utah. You could see Park City, Salt Lake City, drive through the Wasatch mountains-- then head over to Moab-- see Arches and/or Canyonlands. It will be very hot in July but well worth it if you haven't been there before. Then when you've had enough of that, head into Colorado. You could take I-70 to Glenwood Springs-- check out the hot springs there, maybe stay the night, then from there take Hwy 82 to Aspen. You could check out Leadville-- very old mining town-- kind of an "only in Colorado" kind of place. Then drive down through US-24, check out Salida, tons of 14,000 ft peaks to look at, then US-50 through Canon City, Royal Gorge, and up to Colorado Springs.

If for some reason you weren't going to Colorado Springs I would go through Hwy 550-- "the million dollar hwy" instead to Durango. Some of the best scenery you'll ever see. Then US-160 and 84 into New Mexico-- eat some tasty food there-- and head out east from there.

There are millions of different trip possibilities out there!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,258,827 times
Ouray is possibly the most beautiful part of the state.. if you can afford a stay there, then do it!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 AM

5,656 posts, read 9,389,023 times
Rocky Mountain National Park.
Aspen, Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or