U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:39 PM

64 posts, read 83,592 times

Advertisements

Hi Card Shark,

I will certainly keep out of state options open, but really want to make sure I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater before I up and go to AZ. CO is so precious!

It's good to know that Flagstaff is another option that meets the criteria. I appreciate your sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:52 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,650,002 times
What it all comes down to is jobs. We (I'm guilty of doing this too) can sit around and dream about all the ideal places in the world to live-- but if you can't make a living there, then none of that matters. Unless if you're independently wealthy, in a business where you can work "virtually," or retired. I don't really think Denver's economy is any better than Colorado Springs; the economy sucks everywhere. However I think most people would have an easier time getting a job in Denver than CS-- mainly because "Denver" (when you consider the whole metro area, which is HUGE), is 5 times the size of Colorado Springs, with 10 times the amount of job postings. As a nurse you probably have it better than many other fields, and you might actually have the opportunity to live in a more rural/scenic environment. I still think though, from reading your first post, that it's actually the "big city" environment that will provide what you need and not a small town environment-- although I could be totally wrong. At least living in Colorado Springs, you are only 1 hour away! We are not talking about a whole different planet here. You can still live where you live now and easily come up to Denver every single weekend (or whenever you happen to have a day off) to do some cultural activities and meet up with friends, if you wanted to.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Hi Delta,

Half way through nursing school I started contemplating moving out of state, and Oregon was actually one of the places I had my eye on. I went to a website and looked at some pictures of Bend. You're right, it's beautiful. It's also good to know that this area has a similar feel to what I'm looking for, so thank you for adding that to the conversation.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 PM

What a tender post, Vegas. (((Hugs)))

In fact, it occured to me last night that it is my responsibility to reach out and make a few drives up to Denver. All my friends from nursing school are married, children, etc. Wonderful lifestyle, not for me. Actually, there were a few girls who said that Denver is much better than the Springs when it comes to opportunity for socializing and being involved in various interests. So, there's always "meet up" groups, and as a nurse I get a few days off in a row. And you're right! It's just a drive up the road, not a world away. Thanks for helping me confirm what I sort of already had been thinking.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,411,765 times
I didn't realize you were a nurse (guess I didn't really pay attention to your user name at first). My husband is a nurse who received his degree in Grand Junction at the nursing college there. First of all, I wouldn't recommend moving to Grand Junction. You won't find what your looking for there. We lived there for almost 6 years and really never liked it. It was good for school, but it really sounds a lot like what you are describing Co. Springs to be.

I don't know if you've considered travel nursing or not, but it might be something you would really enjoy. We traveled for almost a year, and ultimately it wasn't our thing, but it was really fun while we did. We lived in Seattle and LA for a while, which are both great cities, just too big for us. As a single person traveling would be the ultimate job. If you have some experience and are trying to find out where you really want to live, maybe you ought to consider this route. You can make great money (often more than if you are a staff nurse), housing expenses are paid, and you're not tied somewhere for longer than usually 3 months if you really hate it. It would give you the opportunity to find your perfect place! Just a thought...

Last edited by delta07; 08-27-2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,496,710 times
You have said that you have been in CS since 2000 and:

"The isolation I feel in this place is unlike any experienced in other places I've lived in previously (AL, TN, NM)..."

You cannot compare how you felt in the past to the present because you are not the same person today as yesterday. You are older and as you get older, from my experience, it gets harder to meet other people. We also move away from our groups that we are associated, as we move through live. Families become more distant, age and die. We are not part of a group experience such as the different periods of schooling. You have also said:

"All my friends from nursing school are married, children, etc. Wonderful lifestyle, not for me..."

We see the people around us change and move on. Sometimes we feel abandoned; we are not part of the group, anymore; they are not part of us.

I remember when I finished college. This was the end of that progression from 1st grade onward. Now, it was at an end. I was not apart of any defined group. I was no longer in College and the Army was in the past. I was on my own. It is especially troublesome feeling when you are single, not married and not in another group--a family. I believe some people get married because they cannot handle the isolation from not belonging to any group. The same goes for many people who must always have a relationship--they want the comfort of an association.

In the early 30s, these emotions hits many people who are not married. Do not feel it is only you; it is very common. You now must go find those people like yourself who are single and do not, or desire not, to have children or a family group.

I agree with the recommendations that you look toward Denver because you will find a wider group of associations. I do believe that CS is nice and I think the religious influence is exaggerated. It has many different people but being a smaller place, you will not have the opportunity that a larger city can give you.

I am also an Atheist but I have found that many churches today have more opportunities for older singles than the years in the past, being not a christian I have a problem with the dogmas and will be a part. However, there are many other groups and beliefs in Denver than smaller cities in Colorado.

Livecontent

Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM

36 posts, read 95,019 times
I think you might like Denver quite a bit. There's quite a few areas here in Denver that don't feel anything like a big city. One area you might want to check out is Alamo Placita. Another great Denver neighborhood is the Highlands. Here in Denver, we have quite a few Buddhist centers. There's a huge one right down on Speer and 12th, if I'm not mistaken. From my experience, Denver tends to be a very non-judgmental city. If you're looking for a smaller city, I would suggest taking a look at Fort Collins. My sister, who is a liberal, thinking christian, lived there and loved it. If Fort Collins is too pricey, you can try Loveland. Don't know much about it. I do know that it's less expensive than Fort Collins. If you don't want to be in Denver, but still want to be close, you might try out Golden. It's a really great, small town. Hope this helps!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,385,292 times
Sounds like you'll have problems anywhere you go. Good luck with life!

My wife is a RN and most of her co-workers have a liberal view. Should be no issues hooking up with people like you if you are in the medical industry.

Maybe this will help:

Old 08-28-2009, 08:42 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,821,260 times
Nurse2B......There's alot of truth in the statement, wherever you go there you are. However, some places offer better support for expressing your inner you, than others. If you go to Oregon to check out Bend, take a drive over to Ashland as well. I have a feeling you might like Ashland. Best wishes in your search for a better fitting environment.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 AM

5,664 posts, read 9,397,976 times
I don't believe Buddhists are atheist. You must be saying that you are atheist, but you agree some of the Buddhist philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse2B View Post
Hi Bideshi,

I am Buddhist/atheist. I realize what Namaste means. We all say it, but to me, it does not have to mean "god" to mean "divine." It means that I am acknowledging every bit of humanity that is in "you" that is in me too. I take the meaning very personally, because I am reminded that whenever someone does something that hurts me or I get mad, that I have also done something to hurt someone else, enanger them, etc.

I will consider Manitou. Thanks for replying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado