U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 PM

64 posts, read 83,633 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'll give a little bit of background before I ask my questions.

I have lived in Colorado Springs since 2000. I don't like it here, and want to move. However, before jumping to another state all willy-nilly, I would like to remain in Colorado if I can find somewhere closer to what I am looking for. Let's face it, Colorado is exceptionally beautiful and a wonderful place for doing outdoor activities.

I have been here long enough to give it a fair chance and know I simply do not like it. I know that every person is different, and that the things I am about to list as being unlikeable, are to many the very things that make Colorado Springs such a wonderful place to live. I get that we're all different.

Colorado Springs is very conservative. I feel this quality permeates day to day activities and interactions among people. Not many seem willing or eager to meet new people and make new, meaningful relationships. I am comparing this experience here to what I know about other places I have lived, so I sort of have a personal "yardstick" I'm measuring with . I have been told by plenty of folks that I am extremely likeable and friendly. So, it's not that I won't reach out or be the first to extend my hand in friendship.

Although family is good, I never wanted to have one of my own. In fact, I am childless by choice, 32 years old, and female. I just can't get into everyone's kids and family. I'm not interested. After 10 years of Colorado SPrings, it looks to me as if family is the focal point of everyone's lives.

Church is big in Colorado Springs too. I'm atheist, so this leaves me out in the cold on yet another criterion.

The isolation I feel in this place is unlike any experienced in other places I've lived in previously (AL, TN, NM). However, I can't accept that the entire state is like this. It's too beautiful here! Breathtakingly beautiful.

So my questions are:

1) What places in CO exude a warmer/friendlier attitude toward others desiring to make new friendships?

2) What places are more liberal politically and culturally?

3) What places are not dominated by "church?" I don't mean to say I'm attempting to avoid all Christains. I grew up in the South, where that's all there is. But the culture was such that life did not revolve around church- at least in the part of the South I'm from. Once again, I realize not every area can be painted with a broad brush. And yet, there are cultural nuances everywhere you go!

4) Are there places here that have a more artsy feel? I would like to find a place where, even though people have families, the sole focus is not the kids. Adults would still have their own areas of interest and involvement- pottery, yoga, painting, music, hiking, etc, as opposed to soccer for the kids, movies for the kids, Chucky Cheese for the kids...

I am so glad there is a place-this forum- where people can come to chat and discuss their personal views on these issues. It never gets old, discussing, and being involved, does it? At least that's why "I think" there is such a forum!

Namaste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,660,966 times
The place you're looking for is one hour north: Denver. Specifically in the central city neighborhoods.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM

13,223 posts, read 24,296,127 times
Oh vegas! You beat me to it. Well, here it is anyway.

D

e

n

v

e

r

Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 AM

Thanks Vegas and David for the replies. What is the economy like in Denver now?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,689,197 times
Come to Salida, you would fit in nicely here. RP (and buy my house in the country) :-)

Old 08-27-2009, 10:05 AM

52 posts, read 198,660 times
You should really think of Flagstaff, AZ and it is outdoorsy and Lovely.

More of a hometown feel in the Pines. College town with a good mix.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,075,554 times
Namaskar bahini, you do realise you are saying "I acknowledge that part of god that is within you" do you not? It is difficult for singles to fit into family situations everywhere, and it may be even more so for single women. Try Manitou Springs before you leave COS entirely; you may find the right environment there.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,417,294 times
Denver is definitely a good choice, as it has everything you are looking for (and probably the best chance at finding a job). If, however, you don't like big cities, you might consider Boulder or Ft. Collins. Both seem to fit what you are wanting as well, while still maintaining a small town character. Boulder, of course, is very expensive, so you will need to determine whether that fits into your lifestyle as well. When I lived in Ft. Collins in the mid-nineties, it was similar to Boulder, but not nearly as pricey, as well as a bit more conservative. With the college there though, you will always have a liberal aspect to the town (not nearly as conservative as COS). Of course, since many magazines have now rated it as one of the most desired places to live, I imagine it has become more expensive.

I moved from Grand Junction, CO (also very conservative) to Bend, OR last year and I absolutely love it! It sounds like we have very similar lifestyles (sans the single part). I know you said you love CO and are not sure you want to leave, but if you can't find what you're looking for you might consider Oregon. It really fits your lifestyle as well, and the natural beauty is here also.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 PM

5,676 posts, read 9,410,128 times
I would think Boulder and Denver. Boulder's arsty-farsty and liberal. Denver's got a mix of everything.
Grand Junction tends to lean on the conservative, family-oriented side, but I've find people here are laid back and friendly and not terribly difficult to make friends. Maybe it's "less" conservative and family oriented than CO springs?
If you're a nurse, Grand Junction is the place to be due to the recent national attention placed on our health care system.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Hi Bideshi,

I am Buddhist/atheist. I realize what Namaste means. We all say it, but to me, it does not have to mean "god" to mean "divine." It means that I am acknowledging every bit of humanity that is in "you" that is in me too. I take the meaning very personally, because I am reminded that whenever someone does something that hurts me or I get mad, that I have also done something to hurt someone else, enanger them, etc.

I will consider Manitou. Thanks for replying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado