Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM

8 posts, read 29,527 times

Advertisements

I have already raised one child in Lafayette/Boulder, from elementary to high school. For the most part she open-enrolled to schools in Boulder, just for different offerings like outdoor education. We really enjoyed the fact that kids could really walk their own walk in Bldr. their wasn't really a sense that you had to fit a particular mold. With the many types of school focus available, it seems you could really find a good fit no matter which direction your kid moved towards.

Now, with a second child, we are contemplating a move to Arvada, or staying in Lafayette. My concern is that perhaps the environment for kids isn't as open or eclectic perhaps as available in the boulder valley system. I also am having a hard time finding any neighborhoods outside the newer ones like the five villages (?) where there are a lot of families.

Can anyone give me insight into what kid/teen culture is like in Arvada? Where do the families with young children live, outside the newer developments???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housetrained View Post
I have already raised one child in Lafayette/Boulder, from elementary to high school. For the most part she open-enrolled to schools in Boulder, just for different offerings like outdoor education. We really enjoyed the fact that kids could really walk their own walk in Bldr. their wasn't really a sense that you had to fit a particular mold. With the many types of school focus available, it seems you could really find a good fit no matter which direction your kid moved towards.

Now, with a second child, we are contemplating a move to Arvada, or staying in Lafayette. My concern is that perhaps the environment for kids isn't as open or eclectic perhaps as available in the boulder valley system. I also am having a hard time finding any neighborhoods outside the newer ones like the five villages (?) where there are a lot of families.

Can anyone give me insight into what kid/teen culture is like in Arvada? Where do the families with young children live, outside the newer developments???
If there are neighborhood elementary schools all over Arvada under Jefferson County Schools, then there are children that live in those neighborhoods and they are part of real families.

There are recreation centers and pools run by the North Jeffco Recreation District which just changed to the Apex Recreation District named after the largest recreation center in the area, Apex on West 72nd. Trust me, there are many children all over these centers in the pools, the ice arena, the activity rooms etc. Oh yes, there is the other Ice Arena, on Ralston--so Arvada has two, Ice Arenas that is, and many recreation centers.

In addition, there is the Arvada Center for Arts and Humanities and it offers exceptional programs for children and adults. Take a look on day and you will see children of all ages in ballet, modern dance, art classes, theater and all the arts---or they want to play on that giant dragon in the exciting park and you will see their parents watching with envy. To tell you the truth, I want to climb on that dragon.

Keep in mind, it was not narrow minded people who voted the city funding bonds to establish the Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities; and that was forty years ago, when we lived sod caves and ate our children. Today, we continue our financial support for that eclectic center.

There are a few libraries run by Jefferson County with a brand new one in Old Town Arvada that has a big section devoted for children. Of course, in the summer, they are many running through the fountain in front and they are being watched by their families.

Let us not forget the Equestrian Center, Majestic View Nature Center and the extensive parks and trails; nature preserves, reservoirs, and programs under the recreation center in Arvada.

I also forgot the Independent schools and recreation centers run by the fine religious communities in Arvada and they there are many families with children. And yes, they are open minded and educated. I know because as a Atheistic Arvada Resident, I come in contact with these good people everyday.

What I am saying is that Boulder County is not the only place that is "open and eclectic". Five Parks is not the only residential area in Arvada with families and children. Gee, what was the rest of Arvada doing before the new Five Parks was opened--yes, there were no families and no children.

Arvada has many, different types of neighborhoods and there are educated people living there in families of many types, raising good children and Jefferson County has tremendous resources in support of its residents.

Good educated people raising good children also live in older neighborhoods and some are poor--but you got to be open-minded to accept that fact. I could say the same for Arapahoe, Denver, Adams, Douglas, Broomfield--yes all these counties have children and good government resources. Oh, I forgot Boulder, it is the only superior county in the Denver metro area that takes excellent care of its children

Oh, I did forget to mention that Jefferson County School System is the largest in the State--it must mean that there are many children and believe it or not many smart, open minded people in families--Boulder County does not have the monopoly.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-24-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 PM

I am so, so sorry my request came off as snobby as it did - that was not my intent at all! I've enjoyed all of your posts livecontent, and appreciate your insight.

Contrary to how my post sounds, I'd actually welcome a change of pace from Boulder - I've read a lot of the recent dialogue about the "snobbiness" factor on these boards. While I don't agree that people here are snobs or judgemental about education, money, etc.... there is something that I can't quite put my finger on, that can be a bit annoying. Someone recently called it "eco-hipsters" in response to Louisville's rating of #1 city to live (which, by the way, mystifies me!). I guess it can be very "bandwagonesque."

Anyway, sorry if I offended. I think Arvada is awesome. I love the Old Town area, find it far superior to Lafayette and Louisville. I've taken advantage of the Arvada Center and think it's a wonderful asset to the community. Majestic View is wonderful and they home we are considering is nearby.

I suppose I'm just really trying to guage more a sense of what types of communities there are there, what are the general lifestyle and outlook - I drive around, hang out in OT, go to the park, and haven't met any families. It's hard to know whether we are choosing a neighborhood that is family friendly or where we will be able to create community. Having been in one place for so long, a move is daunting. So, again, sorry to offend.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I am so, so sorry my request came off as snobby as it did - that was not my intent at all! I've enjoyed all of your posts livecontent, and appreciate your insight.

Contrary to how my post sounds, I'd actually welcome a change of pace from Boulder - I've read a lot of the recent dialogue about the "snobbiness" factor on these boards. While I don't agree that people here are snobs or judgemental about education, money, etc.... there is something that I can't quite put my finger on, that can be a bit annoying. Someone recently called it "eco-hipsters" in response to Louisville's rating of #1 city to live (which, by the way, mystifies me!). I guess it can be very "bandwagonesque."

Anyway, sorry if I offended. I think Arvada is awesome. I love the Old Town area, find it far superior to Lafayette and Louisville. I've taken advantage of the Arvada Center and think it's a wonderful asset to the community. Majestic View is wonderful and they home we are considering is nearby.

I suppose I'm just really trying to guage more a sense of what types of communities there are there, what are the general lifestyle and outlook - I drive around, hang out in OT, go to the park, and haven't met any families. It's hard to know whether we are choosing a neighborhood that is family friendly or where we will be able to create community. Having been in one place for so long, a move is daunting. So, again, sorry to offend.
I should apologize, as I misunderstood the tone of your post. If you go to live around Majestic View Park--that is wonderful. For years, that park was hidden from many people. It was after West 72nd. was pushed through to Kipling that it was seen and an easier access was created. Those people around there sure fought hard to keep the park to themselves.

There are so many hidden places in Arvada with trees, water and rolling hills that it is much different than many other suburbs. People do not know about the Arvada Hills, up on Carr, and the hidden homes, just west to Majestic View.

I have live in this city for about 26 years of my 31 years in Colorado and I really have not seen all the hidden treasures. I first lived up near Lake Arbor, then West 72nd past Ward and now east of Sheridan, near 64th. My parents live in West Arvada and have a home that backs to Ralston Creek and the extensive trails.

Arvada is so removed from the main stream traffic of the metro area, that many new comers are unaware of the Ralston Valley. Maybe it should remain a secret. Every time I drive west on 80th and reach the rise just after Simms, it gives me a thrill to look upon the valley of Ralston Creek, the water where Gold was first discovered in Colorado.

Livecontent

Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
You need to know that all the Boulder Valley schools offer outdoor ed, not just the schools in Boulder itself. Also, a co-worker's kids go to Jeffco schools and they, too, have outdoor ed. I think OE is a practice in virtually every school district in the metro area.

Open enrollment is state law, though how it is implemented is left up to the individual districts. I know Jeffco has a lot of choice schools.

Just trying to clarify the education system a little.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 AM

Thanks all, for your helpful responses. To clarify the education piece, I guess I was thinking about experiential education focus. Probably somewhat similar to JEffco Open School. Not necessarily how I'd choose to go with my youngest daughter, but just an example. It all depends on her learning style. The more I look, the more I find there are choices, especially it seems, closer to Lakewood.

Overall, I guess I'm trying to see where we might fit - where there are lots of family neighborhoods, what are the differences between Lakewood and Arvada. I keep hearing about how "West" Arvada is so great, but I don't know what that means. I like the little area where we are waiting for an approval - off 68th and Carr. I just want to make sure we shouldn't be investing in "West" Arvada to be in the "better" area, whatever that means!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks all, for your helpful responses. To clarify the education piece, I guess I was thinking about experiential education focus. Probably somewhat similar to JEffco Open School. Not necessarily how I'd choose to go with my youngest daughter, but just an example. It all depends on her learning style. The more I look, the more I find there are choices, especially it seems, closer to Lakewood.

Overall, I guess I'm trying to see where we might fit - where there are lots of family neighborhoods, what are the differences between Lakewood and Arvada. I keep hearing about how "West" Arvada is so great, but I don't know what that means. I like the little area where we are waiting for an approval - off 68th and Carr. I just want to make sure we shouldn't be investing in "West" Arvada to be in the "better" area, whatever that means!
I do think you are looking at a great area, at 68th and Carr. The elementary school is just down the road at 65 and Carr. Now, I do admit I know nothing about the schools, as I have no school age children; I am saying this area, sometimes referred to as Arvada Hills, or Heights, is extremely eclectic and it is a more upscale area with some very expensive homes. It does remind me of homes in California hills with many hidden roadways and different homes--certainly not a look of a cookie cut suburbs.

West Arvada area is a nice area but it is not better; it is just a different. West Arvada I think can be defined as the area that is west of Kipling and as you go further out on Ralston Road, past the Arvada Plaza, at Independence. Farther out west of Indiana you will be going in the Westwood area, named after the Golf Course, which has much newer homes and is more indicative of a suburbs of the City of Arvada, then the more urban parts of Arvada.

Arvada is one of the few suburban cities of Denver that has really developed separately and has its own unique identity with a separate "downtown". It developed more as an agricultural community. Even, today it still does not touch Denver, with the exception of probably a relatively new few hundred feet, at the very southeast boundary. It is where Inspiration Park and Camp Rollandet(see note), a very small part of Denver that extends past Sheridan. Arvada did not grow out from Denver; Arvada grew out toward Denver.

So, in essence Arvada can also develop its own surburbs, which I would more say is happening as you go farther west, and southwest toward Golden.

Inspiration Park and Camp Rollandet--Inspiration Point is part of the city park system in Denver which has a great overlook of the suburban basin to the west of Denver. It is directly across from Willis Case Golf Course, at about 50th and Sheridan. It has beautiful flower beds, along a winding road to the top. Camp Rollandet, at 52nd. and Sheridan, at the Southwest Corner is the former "Camp Fire" Girls camp that was acquired by Denver for the development of a wildlife preserve. It is not yet opened for the public.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-30-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado