U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:18 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,080,938 times

Advertisements

I had posted this in the "Weather" section then thought maybe it's better posted here.

To me the following sounds like very nice weather/nice state to live:

Get all four seasons.
Very, very low humidity all year long.
Generally high of 80-85 for the day in the summer time.
Can live in a big city without being near forests/wooded areas and don't come across many insects or critters- atleast not in the big cities (don't like bugs or critters at all) but yet can still experience all four pretty seasons.

Does this sound like the state of Colorado to any or all of you?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,859,412 times
Pretty much. Denver can get warmer than that in the summer though.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:28 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,517,355 times
Yes you can experience all four seasons in Colorado, all in one day that is.

Colorado has highly variable weather. Depends on the summer but I would say summer highs are more upper 80's low 90's, even up into the mountains.

One thing you have to adjust to, is because you are closer to the sun with the higher altitude, the heat from the sun is more intense, especially the higher up you go. The air might be cool but the direct rays from the sun hotter if in direct sunlight.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,660,966 times
By "big city," I'm assuming you're talking about either Denver or Colorado Springs. Summer temperatures can vary a lot from year to year. This year has definitely been cooler than the last few years, but I'd say on average, highs in the high 80's and low 90's are common on the Front Range, (with a lot of variability of course), are about what you would expect from mid-June to late August. Not so much this year, but temps in the high 90's are not uncommon and even a few days in the low 100's can be found. Frequent afternoon thunderstorms.

Bugs-- not that big of a problem when you're in a developed, landscaped neighborhood. But in places like in Cherry Creek State Park (plains preserve and dam in the SE Denver metro area), where I go bicycling and running all the time, I feel like I'm being constantly attacked by swarms of crawling and flying insects all summer long. Feels like a high plains swamp. Compared to AZ, you will probably find Denver to be slightly more humid than you're used to-- but not unbearable.

Colorado, at least on the Front Range, has four seasons, but not 4 equally long, distinct seasons. I think it's more like this:

Winter-- cold/cool/mild & dry with sporadic blizzards-- October through February
Early spring-- cool/cold/warm with occasional heavy wet snow-- March & April
Late spring/ early summer-- cool/warm, a lot of rain & thunderstorms-- May-early July
Late summer and fall-- hot/warm/mild & dry, occasional rain & thunderstorms-- mid July-September

Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 PM

86,867 posts, read 102,224,882 times
Like all the rest, I'd warn you that Denver is much hotter in the summer. The average high in July is 89, which means a lot of 90 degree days in that month.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,766,425 times
Also not mentioned is the fact than many areas of the Front Range are quite windy for a significant part of the year. Truthfully, I know of no place in Colorado that would meet all of your requirements. The areas with very low humidities are going to be much hotter than you like in the summer. The urban/suburban areas, thanks to all the lawn irrigation there, tend to be more humid in summer than they used to be. Colorado is not insect-free--some areas have relatively few pests, but all areas have some.

The closest place I know of that would meet most of your climate requirements is my former area of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Cooler in summer, few insects, no nearby forests. BUT, it is no big city (around 60,000) and it is one of the windiest locales in the country. (And I do mean WIND--steady wind of 15-30 mph+ is not uncommon, with gusts over 70 mph occurring regularly every year.) It also is the hail capital of the United States, with damaging hail storms (sometimes with hail that can be baseball-size) occurring in or near the city just about every year. That said, it was the most insect-free place that I've lived in the Rocky Mountain region, and I could count on my fingers the days over 90 during each summer. Winters there are not as bad as many people think, but they are long and can have very rigorous periods--usually at least one blizzard every year.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 AM

274 posts, read 414,349 times
I moved to Colorado from NJ back in 1982 - have yet to see 4 distinct seasons ....althought it is dry most of the time and I think your skin ages faster out here (unless you put globs of moisturizer on) ... as to bugs - there are tons (that's why I have lots of birds in my back yard - food galore!) but it's not as bad as say South Carolina where one of my sister's lives - the one thing that I almost never saw in NJ were wasps - right now am waging a war on several nests - I don't mind bees (and there are some really beautiful ones out here) but wasps I hate with a passion .... one of the things that I love about Colorado is the fact that none of my cats (3) have ever had fleas - not sure why.
Also our growing season is very short so I miss a lot of the vegetation that I was used to in NJ -
And if someone says something about the changing colors in the fall I will scream - the major 'color' out here is yellow - that's it. As to the temperature - it's actually bearable in the 'summer' - I remind myself of the humidity in NJ in the summer and I know I made the right decision in moving here long ago.

Last edited by ceg0720; 08-29-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Thank you everyone.
Humidity in the winter time wouldn't matter, right? Because if it's chilly/cold that in itself would keep the bugs away in the winter! No humidity in the summer time though since that brings bugs, mosquitoes out alot more.

There's to many mosquitoes here in Arizona.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
I moved to Colorado from NJ back in 1982 - have yet to see 4 distinct seasons ....althought it is dry most of the time and I think your skin ages faster out here (unless you put globs of moisturizer on) ... as to bugs - there are tons (that's why I have lots of birds in my back yard - food galore!) but it's not as bad as say South Carolina where one of my sister's lives - the one thing that I almost never saw in NJ were wasps - right now am waging a war on several nests - I don't mind bees (and there are some really beautiful ones out here) but wasps I hate with a passion .... one of the things that I love about Colorado is the fact that none of my cats (3) have ever had fleas - not sure why.
Also our growing season is very short so I miss a lot of the vegetation that I was used to in NJ -
And if someone says something about the changing colors in the fall I will scream - the major 'color' out here is yellow - that's it. As to the temperature - it's actually bearable in the 'summer' - I remind myself of the humidity in NJ in the summer and I know I made the right decision in moving here long ago.

Aww, that's not cool that you haven't seen the reds, oranges, browns, yellows and green hues on the trees there in the Autumn

Old 08-29-2009, 01:17 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,417,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Thank you everyone.
Humidity in the winter time wouldn't matter, right? Because if it's chilly/cold that in itself would keep the bugs away in the winter! No humidity in the summer time though since that brings bugs, mosquitoes out alot more.

There's to many mosquitoes here in Arizona.
There are a lot of mosquitoes in Colorado as well! You don't necessarily have to have a humid climate to have mosquitoes, just standing water. Since most of the Denver metro area relies on watering to keep their grass green in the summer, you will find quite a bit of standing water. Arizona is a dry climate as well, similar to Colorado but a lot hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado