U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 14,491 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Pueblo in the spring of 2010. We know what we don’t want—to live in the suburbs; and what we do want—to live in an older neighborhood, but we don’t want to end up in an unsafe part of Pueblo.

Right now we live in a neighborhood that was once a town of its own, and it has retained much of its historical charm (old theatre, a mom-n-pop video store that specializes in American classics and foreign films, very few corporate businesses). Unfortunately, it also borders two neighborhoods that are bleeding over into ours, and these are the kinds we’re moving away from, and don’t want to move into out of ignorance once we’re in Pueblo.

The one neighborhood is well known for burglaries, car thefts, drug offenses and prostitution, and the other overly crowded with tattoo parlors, storefront nail/hair salons and fly-by-night businesses. We don’t have live-at-home children (school ratings are irrelevant) and are planning to rent—at least for the first year, and we prefer to rent a house or a unit in a duplex or fourplex—as opposed to living in an apartment complex. My wife is a freelance writer who works at home and needs a certain amount of quiet and seclusion to concentrate.

She grew up in Cleveland, Ohio; her father was a dockworker, and her uncles were truck drivers or in construction. I grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee; my father was a truck driver and my uncles were also in construction, so we’re both comfortable with the idea of living in a blue-collar neighborhood.

What my wife liked best about growing up in Cleveland is what we both like best about where we live now: it’s the sense of history and the fact that there are still some mom-n-pop businesses around. We’re in Southern California and the rest of the city is noisy, crowded and overpriced. Because of the climate, construction is going on year round so there’s a sense of constant change and overgrowth.

We would be grateful for any help in steering us away from a bad fit and helping us zero in on a good one. We’d appreciate the reasons for your suggestions, not just the suggestions. Zip codes, community names and landmarks would be a big help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 PM

14,489 posts, read 22,333,076 times
Any move from Cleveland or SoCal to here is a good move. So congratulations.

Go to MFBE's Index thread here and check out all this stuff on Pueblo.

I don't think of Pueblo as having a suburb... except for one obvious one in Pueblo West or the Mesa east of town. You'll see a thread in here I started that shows some of the zips. I'm not going to go over them again here.

Don't move east of I-25 unless you're way out on the Mesa or north of hwy 47 by Walking Stick. El Camino, Regency, I guess. There's a nice area called Aberdeen and an area around a golf course near St Claire and Amherst. There are a bunch of nice 19th Century Victorians north of Bessimer and north and a bit west of the historic downtown. You could get a pad on the Riverwalk! Is money an issue? If not, Pueblo isn't too shabby and I'd bet some of these old gems are pretty afforable for the size.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
I agree with what mcgowdog said but I would add the area by Parkview Medical center just north of downtown. It was ranked as one of the best historic neighborhoods in the country and you might just like it.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Sorry for the (extremely) slow response

Thanks for the prompt responses McGowdog and Josseppie. My wife has been sick and I’ve been focused on helping her.

We’ve decided to move in December rather than next spring. We’ve lived in a cold climate before so it won’t be a shock to us arriving in Pueblo as winter is settling in.

Our plan is to spend the first month in an extended stay hotel while looking for a place to live and work. Online I found something called ExtendedStayHotels that has a great price in Colorado Springs for a studio with kitchen.

Is there anything like that in Pueblo? Maybe even something local that is not corporate; a month-to-month furnished place? Right now this is our top priority and we have a strong preference for the extended stay to be in Pueblo.

Also, through Google I found a store called Ambrosia Health Foods. I called the two separate numbers available and neither is in service. Do you know if Ambrosia Health Foods is still in business, perhaps under a different name? If they’re still open, what is that neighborhood like? We belong to a vegetarian food coop here in San Diego and would like to live near one in Pueblo. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 AM

Ambrosia's is long gone. Replaced and put out of business by Vitamin Cottage... a lousy one at that.

Colorado Springs and Denver have Whole Foods and at one time had Wild Oats which was way better than VC.

I don't know of an Extended Stay in Pueblo. Joss?

There are some good mom and pops around here and this town has many gems mixed up in different sections of town. I don't know how I can add to the 1st post of mine in that regard.

You may find a good farmers market out here too.

Hope you find what you're looking for up here.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 AM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
I have been trying to think of a extended stay hotel and the ones I can think of I would not feel comfterable recommanding them to anyone. I do think there is a motel in Eagleridge that has weekly rates but I dont know anything about it and the new roadway inn off highway 50 west might have extended stay but again I dont know anything about that motel.

Pueblo has great farmers markets but I do most of my shoping at Walmart or Safeway or King Soopers so I do not know anything about natural food places.

Pueblo does have AWSOME mom and pop resturants and grocery stores. I go to a few itialn places all the time. I can't spell the names but one is Gagilonoes.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM

Default Vitamin Cottage and Econo Lodge...

Thanks for the responses guys.

I called the Chamber of Commerce today and was told that the Econo Lodge on North Elizabeth has displayed on their sign that they have extended rates. I called and found that they're as reasonable as the place in Colorado Springs so we'll take it week-to-week there.

I then went to the Vitamin Cottage website and watched their 8-minute video, which could an SNL skit with a little tweaking. Still, they sound like a viable option for organics and healthier foods. I take it the one in Pueblo is lacking compared to others in the chain?

McGowdog - you wrote the following in a earlier post:
Go to MFBE's Index thread here and check out all this stuff on Pueblo.

I don't think of Pueblo as having a suburb... except for one obvious one in Pueblo West or the Mesa east of town. You'll see a thread in here I started that shows some of the zips. I'm not going to go over them again here.
I went to the thread, which has photos by area (as you know) but I couldn't tell the zip code by the descriptions. Is the zip code implied by the part of town referenced or did I look in the wrong place? Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM

36 posts, read 95,110 times
[quote=glyde85;10884475]

Our plan is to spend the first month in an extended stay hotel while looking for a place to live and work. Online I found something called ExtendedStayHotels that has a great price in Colorado Springs for a studio with kitchen.

Is there anything like that in Pueblo? Maybe even something local that is not corporate; a month-to-month furnished place? Right now this is our top priority and we have a strong preference for the extended stay to be in Pueblo.

Hi. You might want to check out the Abriendo Inn (Colorado bed and breakfast - Abriendo Inn Bed and Breakfast - Pueblo Colorado) in Pueblo. They're a great, historic BB. They're very reasonable also. When I stayed there, I met several people who staying there on extended stays. The owners/inn keepers are extremely friendly. I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you regarding your budget for the extended stay. Give them a call. The only downside of staying with them vs. an extended stay hotel would be no kitchen. They do serve a lot of great complimentary snacks/drinks in the evening. Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Go to this thread here. It's all we've got for something like that so far. If it weren't for Joss and I, there wouldn't be a whole lot of Pueblo info I don't think. Some others in the Colorado thread help out on info here to from time to time, but from afar.

Google maps will better point those zips' locations for you.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the B&B, ggfd. We went to one a few years ago and found it was okay for a short stay, but a month of sharing facilities would wear on us. Good to have an option though.

The zip code map and demographics were a big help McGowdog. I received the Rand McNally map this week that I had ordered of Pueblo & Canon City and it work well in conjunction with the information in the link you provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or