U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 PM

402 posts, read 926,792 times

Advertisements

The only place I can think of that you can get a job and have those views and is affordable is Salt Lake City Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,896,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
The only place I can think of that you can get a job and have those views and is affordable is Salt Lake City Utah.
I tend to agree. The Wasatch mountains are close by. The economy has downshifted there for sure, but a little better there than a lot of places.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,969 times
Default Not What You Might Think

I've lived in Summit County (Breckenridge area) for 12 years. It has been the most difficult place I have ever lived. Decent jobs are nonexistent and I don't have one but not by choice. Women are treated as second class citizens. It's a man's world. Guys love it here because they can be carefree idiots and choose never to grow up. If you are educated and female you can forget about finding a job other than one at minimum wage. If you are female, entrepreneurial and educated you can expect to be treated like the scum of the earth. Female physicians have been run out of the County. I worked in Denver and commuted, yes, commuted, on I-70 through all kinds of weather, all kinds of accidents. There are many people here who do that routine. I live here because my husband has a great job and can support me. I spend a ton of time in Denver. There are many couples here where the wife lives in Denver and the husband lives up here. Why you might ask? Because there are no jobs and women are not respected. I pray every day for the day I can get out of this awful place. It may seem like a dream you would like to experience but it will soon turn to a whole different scenario. Every intelligent woman I know who has lived here has left due to no job opportunities for their education level. It is not a place I would choose to raise my children and, thankfully, I don't have any. It is extremely transient due to the ski areas and seasonal employment. Lots of drugs, lots of alcohol and lots of money and trust funders. There is no culture here either except for the good old boys club. If you have money to back you up and a built-in network of friends before you arrive then you can survive in a mountain community. If not, unless you are looking to make your life extremely difficult, look elsewhere. I think the idea of Salt Lake City is a great one as it has a lower cost of living and more jobs, great skiing and scenic beauty. Colorado Springs is also beautiful and right at the foothills. Woodland Park is a nice town with easy access to Colorado Springs and a mountain type of feel.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,166,831 times
Based on what I've seen over the last few years in SLC, it's no less expensive to live there than the Front Range of Colorado. Similarly, the costs of living/housing in the close-in ski areas by SLC are no less expensive than comparable situations in the ski towns of Colorado.

Either way, unless you have a job lined up that pays enough to allow you to live at the standard you'd like to enjoy ... a move to Colorado or Utah right now could be difficult.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 PM

The Front Range of Colorado and Salt Lake City both offer JOBS with good wages and you can buy a house for a lot less than in the mountain communities. You can take a bus to the ski areas in Utah from Salt Lake City. You can't do that in Colorado and the traffic to go skiing is horrendous on the weekends. Sometimes it takes 4 hours just to get from Summit County to Denver on Sunday, usually a 1 to 1-1/2 hour drive. I have yet to encounter that in Utah.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,393,853 times
I would so be living in SLC if it wasn't in Utah!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 PM

At least you don't need to buy a "membership" to go to a bar in Salt Lake anymore. I think the Mormon influence is decreasing a bit.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:22 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,166,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelismylife View Post
At least you don't need to buy a "membership" to go to a bar in Salt Lake anymore. I think the Mormon influence is decreasing a bit.
While the % of LDS population in SLC is now lower than it has historically been, the legal changes to dispense alcohol were a direct result of the folk there realizing the tax revenue (and jobs) potential of increased sales for the Olympics. Pure business logic over religious blue laws ....

But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the LDS influence is decreasing. The outlying areas of the valley are showing significant growth in total population and a corresponding increase in the number of LDS facilities.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,079,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelismylife View Post
Women are treated as second class citizens. It's a man's world. Guys love it here because they can be carefree idiots and choose never to grow up. If you are educated and female you can forget about finding a job other than one at minimum wage. If you are female, entrepreneurial and educated you can expect to be treated like the scum of the earth.
I am genuinely surprised to read this. Are there other women here that agree with that? As a man, I may not see things as clearly on such matters, so I'm curious as to how many women feel the same way.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 AM

7,282 posts, read 17,208,509 times
I grew up in Colo. Spgs. and am looking to live in Woodland Park in the future and I've read some good replies here but I wanted to make a comment on Ruidoso since I live near the area.
As beautiful as Ruidoso is, the skiing area sucks as there hasn't been very much snow lately. It's not the same skiing on fake snow.

Thanks for the posts on Utah. I've never considered it as it seems like some cult like state but I've seen pictures and it's pretty. I dont know about women being second class citizens in Utah but when I lived in one of the southern states, it's that way. Women are to be in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant and not in a mans world. The men would actually say this alot and the women would just giggle about it.

Good luck to the poster finding the place that's right for you. I'm a mountain person too and love the views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or