U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Are you ALWAYS negative? I am probably more familiar with the Pine Beetle and forest fires than most. These things are not new to me and will not stop me from living in the places that I love. I grew up in the mountains/forest and currently live in South Lake Tahoe, IN THE FOREST. Forestry was my downfall major but the politics and lack of money in forestry forced me to stray away.
No, I am always TRUTHFUL--and realistic. If you study your forestry, you will find that there is a very significant difference in climate, forest makeup, and ecology in Rocky Mountain forests, compared with those in California. Also, you freely admit that you haven't been to Colorado. If you had, you would have seen the several hundred thousand acres of already dead lodgepole, and the couple of million more acres of trees that are in the process of dying right now. Entire hillsides of red-needled dead trees are pretty hard to ignore--extensive enough that they can be easily seen from satellite.

Here is a great paper on the subject.

http://www.csfs.colostate.edu/pages/...LS-www_000.pdf

The current attention is on the dire plight of the lodgepole forests, but overcrowded ponderosa forests are susceptible to the same fate. I've only been traveling to every nook and corner of the Colorado mountains for a half-century now, so I've seen, studied, recreated, and worked in or around Colorado forests for nearly all of my life. There is no damned way I would be caught dead living in most any forested location in Colorado now--the forests are in just too bad a shape and to disposed to catastrophic fire. Period.

Oh, by the way, Colorado's aspen forests are in serious trouble with Sudden Aspen Decline, too. 25 miles from where I live, there are about 20,000 acres of aspen that have died this summer alone.

As the paper referenced above notes, forests are dynamic and will regrow after beetles and fires--probably differently than how they look today. All well and good--unless you or your property get barbecued in the process. Then, not so good for you.

Last edited by jazzlover; 09-08-2009 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Double H wrote:
It has always been my opinion that in a lousy economy if you are the last one to be affected by a recession you will be the last one to get out of it.
That's exactly the way is was in Virginia Beach ( VB ) where I lived for 16 years. The economic maladies always came later to VB as did the the corresponding rebound. The big differnece between GJ and VB is that VB was buffered by a strong military economy, so the economy as a whole was more even keel without big dips or big spikes. GJ has no such buffer.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,413,880 times
Well, the two are like night and day.

If you're considering moving to GJ, you should be aware that's it's pretty isolated. It's a very small town, so there's not much in the way of cultural activities or other things. This could be good or bad depending on what you want. If you want a very quiet, tranquil, small town, then GJ is good. But if you're looking for social activities, shopping, etc. then it's not. We're the largest town on the western slope, so if you want a good shopping experience you have to drive to Denver which is 250 miles away.

GJ is in the desert. This means that it's very hot in the summer, and rather brown throughout the year. Very little precipitation, which is good in the winter because there's not much snow.

Although I live in GJ, I actually prefer Denver. If I had a choice between the two, I would choose Denver to live. It's a neat city. It's big, so there's a lot of "city life", social opportunities, theme parks, activities, etc. It's generally cooler than the western slope, which means better summers. But it's got colder winters with more snow. The neat thing about Denver is it's located right next to the mountains, so you get the best of both worlds. If you want to go hiking, camping, etc. you can be up in the mountains in an hour's drive. If you want to get out of the city for the weekend, easily done.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,413,880 times
always remember that jazzlover is curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Are you ALWAYS negative?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 AM

80skeys wrote:
Although I live in GJ, I actually prefer Denver. If I had a choice between the two, I would choose Denver to live.
I also live in Grand Junction and I MUCH prefer living in Grand Junction to living in Denver. I'm burned out on living in big metro areas, so the small city vibe of GJ fits me just fine at this time in my life. But that's neither here or there.....the important thing is what the OP prefers.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
Do NOT move to Grand Junction. I made the mistake of moving here, and it's nothing but a big armpit in the desert with a bad economy. While the monument is pretty from a distance, there is nothing attractive about this town. No trees...and most of the homes and buildings in downtown are old and shabby looking. Moreover, there are some rough looking people in this town....and lots of homeless people. There's a reason why Mesa county's rates of alcoholism, teen pregnancy, and meth addiction are much higher than the national average. Once again, do NOT move here!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM

12,173 posts, read 20,950,703 times
I watched the CBS station out of Grand Junction and I have to say they do a great job. I would say that are on par with any tv station in Pueblo/ Colorado Springs or Denver......

Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,735,198 times
According to BLS, Grand Junction has the highest unemployment rate in the state...8%. Pueblo has the second highest at 7.4%.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 AM

12,173 posts, read 20,950,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
According to BLS, Grand Junction has the highest unemployment rate in the state...8%. Pueblo has the second highest at 7.4%.
Not bad considering the country was at 10%....

Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM

bfds wrote:
According to BLS, Grand Junction has the highest unemployment rate in the state...8%.
It'll probably go up again when the next set of numbers comes out, but to quote Joseppie....Not bad considering the country was at 10%....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or