U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM

5,676 posts, read 9,413,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw1982 View Post
Do NOT move to Grand Junction. I made the mistake of moving here, and it's nothing but a big armpit in the desert with a bad economy. While the monument is pretty from a distance, there is nothing attractive about this town. No trees...and most of the homes and buildings in downtown are old and shabby looking. Moreover, there are some rough looking people in this town....and lots of homeless people. There's a reason why Mesa county's rates of alcoholism, teen pregnancy, and meth addiction are much higher than the national average. Once again, do NOT move here!
I agree with some of this and don't agree with some of it.

Isolated: yes. Small town in the desert with nothing much to do: yes. Boring: yes.

Not attractive: yes, unfortunately I must agree. Sorry Grand Junctionites, but honestly this area is not beautiful. When I first moved here, I thought Mt. Garfield was the result of strip mining. To my suprise, come to find it it's a natural thing.

Lots of homeless: false. Move to any city and you'll see lots more.

Rough looking people: give me a break. This is one of the most peaceful, safe towns I've ever seen. .... Okay, maybe I'm a little hardened from living in D.C./NYC and other rough cities, but seriously.

Meth addiction? I don't see it. Again, I do come from the perspective of having lived in some large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:17 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,333,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
When I first moved here, I thought Mt. Garfield was the result of strip mining. To my suprise, come to find it it's a natural thing.
Ahh, scenery only a geologist could love!

I think the Book Cliffs are quite beautiful and dramatic, and have a very interesting history.

(I am a geologist.)

Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,368,700 times
I have to agree that the city is not nice looking. It`s been like this for a long time. The people who run the city obviously don`t care. You have to go outside of GJ to find the beauty here. I myself am getting tired of the cities ugliness.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 PM

102 posts, read 283,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I agree with some of this and don't agree with some of it.

Isolated: yes. Small town in the desert with nothing much to do: yes. Boring: yes.

Not attractive: yes, unfortunately I must agree. Sorry Grand Junctionites, but honestly this area is not beautiful. When I first moved here, I thought Mt. Garfield was the result of strip mining. To my suprise, come to find it it's a natural thing.

Lots of homeless: false. Move to any city and you'll see lots more.

Rough looking people: give me a break. This is one of the most peaceful, safe towns I've ever seen. .... Okay, maybe I'm a little hardened from living in D.C./NYC and other rough cities, but seriously.

Meth addiction? I don't see it. Again, I do come from the perspective of having lived in some large cities.
My own take, having lived there, and also coming from a major metro with more people than the whole state of CO:

Yes it's isolated. Both the best and worst thing about GJ.

Boring? I don't know... I wasn't bored there, but I love doing outdoors things... and I made a lot of great friends while I was there, that might have made the difference for me.

Unattractive? Maybe the city itself, but I thought the surroundings were great. And I think Mt. Garfield is pretty cool.

Lots of homeless? For such a small town, I thought there were a lot. But I lived downtown, so I basically had them for neighbors. Can't think of another city that small that has such a homeless problem.

Rough looking people: I think it's the dry air, does that to your skin there. Seriously, didn't notice them looking any rougher than anywhere else. Maybe I'm one of the rough-looking ones.

Meth addiction: have to agree with this one... again, maybe because of the neighborhoods I lived in, but meth was a serious problem around me... neighbors cooking and selling it, police busts on a weekly basis across the street, people with no teeth, etc. This was new to me, since in the big city cocaine and heroine seemed to be the medications of choice... I didn't even really know what meth was until I moved to GJ. There was a time that I had to talk myself through several checkpoints of ATF agents with assault rifles just to reach my house in downtown GJ. Some meth dealers had a shootout with the cops, turned out later that they were hiding out in a house a block away from me. Freaked my wife out pretty good.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I have to agree that the city is not nice looking. It`s been like this for a long time. The people who run the city obviously don`t care. You have to go outside of GJ to find the beauty here. I myself am getting tired of the cities ugliness.
Years ago, Grand Junction actually was pretty attractive. It was one of the first cities to make its downtown shopping area fairly walkable and well-landscaped (another was Twin Falls, Idaho--the street design done by the same architect), way back in the 1960's. For years after that, it had a vibrant, nice downtown. It also retained a lot of its nice residential neighborhoods.

Then the 1970's energy boom hit, and Grand Junction's growth-blinded leadership embraced the same sprawl, suburban bull**** model that every other city in Colorado (and the US) embraced. The mall was built out west of town (nearly out of town then) in the early 1980's. The big boxes followed--and that pretty much killed downtown Grand Junction for anything but "niche" retailing. The sprawled residential development increased traffic many fold. Then the energy bust hit in 1982, and it took the town a decade to recover from that.

When things did recover, Grand Junction went right back to making the same planning mistakes that helped trash the place in the 1970's. It's amazing how we and our political leadership all across this great nation are so brainwashed that we keep making the same mistakes all over again. So, Grand Junction now looks pretty much like every other American city--a half-alive downtown, surrounded by a sprawling automobile-dependent mess of s***box residential development, and topped off with ugly strip malls and big boxes.

Grand Junction was once a very nice town. Too bad it all changed.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:16 PM

5,676 posts, read 9,413,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Years ago, Grand Junction actually was pretty attractive. It was one of the first cities to make its downtown shopping area fairly walkable and well-landscaped (another was Twin Falls, Idaho--the street design done by the same architect), way back in the 1960's. For years after that, it had a vibrant, nice downtown. It also retained a lot of its nice residential neighborhoods.
Main Street is cool. It'd be better if it was WAY bigger and if it stayed open til 10pm instead of closing at 5pm.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 PM

102 posts, read 283,017 times
I can think of a lot uglier towns than Grand Junction. Anyway, now that revitalization and redevelopment of downtown areas has become popular again, maybe it'll catch on in GJ.... 20 years after everybody else, of course, that's how GJ does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or