Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:23 PM

105 posts, read 357,412 times

Advertisements

Hi....I have searched and read most of the posts on Grand Junction and Denver. I'm looking for current information (most of the posts on GJ are several years old...maybe things have improved?).

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'd like to leave the long months of winter behind. We don't mind four seasons, but it seems like we are down to 2 1/2 months of cool summer, 1 1/2 months of spring, 2 months of fall, and 6 months of cold/snow. Well...that's what it feels like anyway!

Background.....We currently live in a town of about 13,000 people, surrounded by lakes and trees, but within driving distances for shopping and 'big city' events. We enjoy: weekend trips to shop or visit areas with artsy or historical significance, live 'blues' music, our yard/home, eating out, and getting together with friends. Albuquerque is someplace we'd like, but that isn't one of my options at this time! Most importantly, we have a special needs son who would need to be placed in a work environment. If we move, a job would be the main reason, so that is 'covered'. (if we consider Denver, the general location for work would be the southwestern end of Denver proper)

Any thoughts on GJ, or Denver, based on the very limited info I provided, would be appreciated.

Last edited by catfeathers; 09-05-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
The economy in Grand Junction continues to deteriorate with the collapse in natural gas prices. I suspect the worst--much worse--is still ahead. Also, as noted in another thread, the Grand Junction Regional Center, a mental health and skilled nursing facility operated by the state, is facing severe budget cuts and the likely closing of its skilled nursing unit. This is just one symptom of Colorado's festering budgetary crisis, and one example of the crisis hitting Grand Junction directly. Ironically, real estate prices have not started to collapse wholesale, but there are few actual sales and foreclosures are soaring--that usually portends a severe market correction in the offing. The real estate and construction industries are already largely comatose.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:07 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Jazzlover is right. People over here are UPSET with the situation at the Grand Junction Regional Center. It is upsetting to say the least to see this division severely curtailed, possibly closed for a while. This situation is affecting its most vulnerable citizens. There are a lot of people screaming at Governor Ritter about this. Maybe cooler heads can prevail and cuts can be avoided here. I know something about the center too, as I have had problems with depression and have used their services, though it's been a long time. There are a LOT of good people who are working there, one of them lives just down the block from me.

Job wise, things are REAL slow in the fields energy wise. Halliburton, the biggest employer, had two big layoffs last spring. According to todays Grand Junction Daily Sentinel, Weatherford, another huge emloyer will announce
layoffs next week. They are not saying exactly how many or when. A close friend of mine works for a support contractor involved in paving, road maintenence, etc., working around the energy companies job sites anywhere from Rifle to Meeker. He might get a 40 hour week in, the next week maybe 25, the week after that 20. This isn't the right time of the year for end dump drivers working part time.

Sales taxes collections are down, bankruptcies are up. Unemployment in the Grand Valley is near 10%. They had 2 huge heavy epuipment auctions in the last 2 months. The real estate industry is pretty quiet. It has always been my opinion that in a lousy economy if you are the last one to be affected by a recession you will be the last one to get out of it.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-05-2009 at 06:18 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 06:15 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
A couple other notes; The real estate industry obviously does not want prices going in the tank. IMO the high end homes aren't taking a hit but the $150,000 to $250,000 homes are. I have seen some HUD signs pop up here and there. There is little building going on at this time.

Catfeathers! Looking at things you enjoy doing; regarding blues music, believe it or not as this is a transient area, there is a decent local music scene. There is a community radio station here, KAFM, that always is trying to promote local talent, and there are a fair amount of blues musicians here. The station has what they call a "radio room" and have small shows scheduled in their studios frequently. As far as venues for bigger name musicians and groups, we are kind of lacking a little. We have Mesa Theater for the hip hop and 90's bands, Avalon theater for other concerts.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-06-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Job wise, things are REAL slow in the fields energy wise. Halliburton, the biggest employer, had two big layoffs last spring. According to todays Grand Junction Daily Sentinel, Weatherford, another huge emloyer will announce layoffs next week.
Here's the link.

Weatherford International begins layoffs

Old 09-07-2009, 11:47 AM

105 posts, read 357,412 times
ok...so from these posts, I believe Grand Junction has too many issues at present; we will hope that the Denver area is the 'ticket'. Any further suggestions on neighborhoods or close towns within 20-30 minutes of southwest Denver?
But thanks for responding!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:46 PM

858 posts, read 1,500,966 times
I have never visited Denver or the surrounding areas, but I too am curious about surrounding areas within 20-30 min of Denver that are typicaly set in forest areas. Lot's of pines trees, I love living in the pine trees, lol. In all seriousness I will be graduating with my BS in Geology and I am seriously considering a move to Colorado.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:26 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
I have never visited Denver or the surrounding areas, but I too am curious about surrounding areas within 20-30 min of Denver that are typicaly set in forest areas. Lot's of pines trees, I love living in the pine trees, lol. In all seriousness I will be graduating with my BS in Geology and I am seriously considering a move to Colorado.
Great, if you like living in a firetrap. Do a search on the forum and read what the pine beetle is doing to Colorado forests. Most of the forests in the Front Range foothills are either lodgepole at higher elevations or ponderosa at the lower elevations. Both are highly susceptible to pine beetle infestation, which is currently running rampant in the lodgepole and is spreading to the pondeBullBoxer31. Current Forest Service estimates are that nearly all the lodgepole--millions of acres of 'em in Colorado--will be dead within 5 years. PondeBullBoxer31 are faring a little better for the moment, but the same fire suppression that has led to unhealthy, overcrowded lodgepole forests is present in most Colorado ponderosa forests. Colorado has already had a couple of huge forest fires in the ponderosa forests near Denver and Colorado Springs in the last few years. As bad as they were, most foresters think they are just a mild preview of coming attractions. Maybe you should have been a forestry major . . .

Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM

858 posts, read 1,500,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Great, if you like living in a firetrap. Do a search on the forum and read what the pine beetle is doing to Colorado forests. Most of the forests in the Front Range foothills are either lodgepole at higher elevations or ponderosa at the lower elevations. Both are highly susceptible to pine beetle infestation, which is currently running rampant in the lodgepole and is spreading to the pondeBullBoxer31. Current Forest Service estimates are that nearly all the lodgepole--millions of acres of 'em in Colorado--will be dead within 5 years. PondeBullBoxer31 are faring a little better for the moment, but the same fire suppression that has led to unhealthy, overcrowded lodgepole forests is present in most Colorado ponderosa forests. Colorado has already had a couple of huge forest fires in the ponderosa forests near Denver and Colorado Springs in the last few years. As bad as they were, most foresters think they are just a mild preview of coming attractions. Maybe you should have been a forestry major . . .
Are you ALWAYS negative? I am probably more familiar with the Pine Beetle and forest fires than most. These things are not new to me and will not stop me from living in the places that I love. I grew up in the mountains/forest and currently live in South Lake Tahoe, IN THE FOREST. Forestry was my downfall major but the politics and lack of money in forestry forced me to stray away.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I was obsessing online about Manitou Springs (near Col. Springs) and there was a cheerful heading for "Six fireproof hotels!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado