U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM

36 posts, read 78,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agree with what everyone else has said re: jobs and cars. Re: rental prices, try looking at craigslist and the like. Just as an example, my DD is renting a pretty nice, 2 BR, 2 bath apt. with W/D and garage in COS for I beileve $850 (something in the 800s).
we found a 2br 2 bt townhome for $895 in saddle rock. good deals are out there. just keep lookin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 14,814 times
I mean Im no professional by any means but I love doing it, and have a cast on my arm that confirms that love haha. Broke my wrist snowboarding in Killington, VT back in March and didnt know it till bout a month ago and had to have surgery. Yeah it would take a little practice driving in snow but Im a pretty safe driver. I dont have to live in denver. Id like to live somewhere with a view of the mountains, so I def dont want to live on the eastern plains. Maybe the western slope, but I dont really know anything about it.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,521,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinit247 View Post
What roads are the most dangerous in the winter? I know I-70 can get shut down during heavy snowfall. What are some other towns and cities that are notorious for slick roads/bad winter drivers? I probably wont be able to get a new car before I move out there so should I invest in really good snow tires and chains or just save to get a car that would work better in the colorado climate. I have a 2wd honda accord to give you an idea of what I have.
Roads anywhere in Colorado can always be dangerous in winter.

Before shelling out for a new car, you'd be better off getting good snow tires and a day at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat. That will keep you a lot safer than just buying a new car.

I'd source some job options first then use that to narrow down what you are going do and where to live.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,832,501 times
Here's a link to a website featuring the attractions of Grand Junction ( take it all with a grain of salt ). Grand Junction is the biggest town on the western slope, located about halfway between Salt Lake City and Denver, more than 200 miles from either big city. There is a small ski slope called Powderhorn about 45 minutes from downtown. Good luck on your relocation to Colorado. I agree with everyone else who cautions you to take care of the job issue first, or come with a BIG wad of money to tide you over.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 AM

Grand Junction looks fantastic! Can you see any mountains from the town? It looks more like desert, which I also like (which is why Im also considering Utah), but how far away is Summit County from Grand Junction if I wanted to hit up the big resorts?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 AM

From town, the Bookcliffs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40293839@N02/3793993604/ - broken link) are visible, the Grand Mesa is visible, the Colorado National Monument is visible, and the Uncomphagre Plateua is visible. While all of these features are rather scenic, none of them are the jagged, snow covered 14,000 ft peaks that many people fantasize about when they think of Colorado.

The Grand Mesa is 45 mis to an hour from downtown. It's a sub-alpine, flat topped mountain at an elevation of about 10,500 with more than 200 small lakes. There is usually lots of snow up on Mesa, with drifts occassionally blocking trails on July 4th. Here's a link to a snow chart. I haven't driven over to Summit county so I cannot say with certainty how long it takes to drive over there from Grand Junction, but I 'm guessing that it would take at least three hours in good driving conditions.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-15-2009 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: typo!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM

16,505 posts, read 20,896,546 times
It takes about two and a half, maybe two hours and forty five minutes to get to Summit county from Grand Junction's Interstate 70 and Horizon Drive exit, provided there are no weather, road construction, or accident delays.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM

CosmicWizard that snowshoeing looks pretty badass Id have to look into that. Hows the job market in Grand Junction? Whats the populations main demographics? Hows the night life? My party life is winding down, but I would still like to have the option to go out. Anyone know of apt/townhouse prices in GJ? How is the Powderhorn Resort? Does it have alot of good runs/terrain parks?

I like to mountain bike and have heard that trails out there are epic. I have a Specialized Hard Tail and want to know if that would be sufficient for the trails out there. Ive heard that you need a different type of bike if you are to bike out west.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,664,917 times
livinit, if you like high desert, you might also want to consider Albuquerque, NM. It's a really cool, unique city with a surprisingly diverse economy, and it's no farther from skiing (near Santa Fe and Taos) than Denver is from the I-70 resorts. ABQ's Nob Hill district (along old Route 66 near UNM) is very cool, very happening at all hours of the day and night and better than anything in Denver, IMO. And no offense to the fine folks in GJ, but I wouldn't even put "Grand Junction" and "nightlife" in the same sentence.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 PM

livinit247 wrote:
CosmicWizard that snowshoeing looks pretty badass Id have to look into that. Hows the job market in Grand Junction? Whats the populations main demographics? Hows the night life? My party life is winding down, but I would still like to have the option to go out. Anyone know of apt/townhouse prices in GJ? How is the Powderhorn Resort? Does it have alot of good runs/terrain parks?

I like to mountain bike and have heard that trails out there are epic. I have a Specialized Hard Tail and want to know if that would be sufficient for the trails out there. Ive heard that you need a different type of bike if you are to bike out west.
The job market in GJ sucks right now. Finding a place to rent in GJ has been quite a challenge for most of the 3 years I've been here, and rents were on the high side. Since the economy tanked about 6 or 8 months ago, I've been seeing more For Rent signs here and there around town. I imagine that rents have softened somewhat, but I have no idea of the actual rents being charged.

Here is the city-data demographics page for Grand Junction

Since my nightlife consists mainly of watching TV or reading books, I'll refrain from commenting on the nightlife in GJ.

For information on Powderhorn, investigate the Powderhorn link I placed earlier in this thread.

GJ has more to offer locally for the mountain biking enthusiast than for the snow sport lover. If snow sports is you main outdoor pursuit, you can do alot better than GJ. The mountain biking in the area however, is world class. Also, Moab-UT which is perhaps THE mountain biking mecca is less than 2 hours away.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-15-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado