U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 PM

9 posts, read 14,814 times

Advertisements

So, heres the facts. I will be graduating college in December and I am looking to relocate to Colorado ASAP. I live in northern georgia at the moment, but Ive been to CO twice to snowboard and thats all Ive thought about doing for years since. My major is marketing but Im really interested in PR/Advertising so its kind of a similiar field. Id like to know whats the job market like in the Denver, Co. Springs, Castle Rock, and Loveland areas in these fields (I wouldnt mind sales either.) I would also like to know what the moving costs for someone would be who is single, has no college debts (lucky, i know), and just looking to get out on my own.

Any information you might have is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,772,192 times
Simple: Don't mover here without a job in hand. Period. There are already scads of unemployed college-educated Coloradans pounding the bricks looking for jobs in a pretty limited market--including many with work experience. Grow up and recognize that having a good time is no longer the centerpiece of your life. Developing a career and putting your education toward that goal is. Chances are that won't be in Colorado--at least now. The economy here, contrary to what people think, is not in good shape.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:27 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,900,341 times
livinit247 - Marketing/PR/advert in Colorado Springs is very, very tight right now. A lot of it seems to be tied into real estate and while the marketing dollars are being used, they are used carefully. I've seen my web design dry up and see parked domains of those I used to design and maintain for. One is a pretty high end builder and while they are still building, they've cut back dramatically on their advert and marketing budget.

As suggested, don't move without a job already lined up. I think this goes for anyone moving most anywhere right now given the economy.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Appreciate it guys. Yeah, Im not planning on doing anything until I have at least a little bit experience, as well as a job lined up. Anyone who does otherwise is an idiot. What are home prices/apt renting prices in different parts of the state?How about utility prices in Winter/Summer? How much can I expect to pay in gas a week? I have a Honda Accord but I would look into getting a subaru with AWD to combat the different weather conditions. Are Subaru's good for the weather? I saw alot of those driving around while I was there, but what are other good cars for CO?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,772,192 times
Living costs in resort areas are astronomical in comparison with local wages. Housing costs are generally lower in other rural areas, but wages are drastically lower; most other living expenses are as higher or higher than in Colorado's metro areas. The best "affordability index" (income compared to living costs) is generally found in the metropolitan areas, but it is not great there, either. Utilities costs vary a lot depending on location, size of dwelling, construction quality, heating fuel type, etc. Electricity tends to cost more than many areas of the country, natural gas usually a little less. GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada can give you an idea of local gasoline prices--they vary a lot across the state.

Yes, Subaru's are good cars for Colorado winters. Do you need AWD or 4WD? Unless you are living or going to the mountains a lot, probably not. Good winter tires and someone besides a blithering winter driving idiot are usually sufficient for most Colorado winter driving conditions.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM

36 posts, read 78,245 times
just to add, there are lots of sales/mkt jobs here, but the salary/horly ones mostly require a year or two of experience. but plenty of those commission only, no exp necessary ones available for cold callin and door to door

good luck

Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 AM

86,871 posts, read 102,248,055 times
Agree with what everyone else has said re: jobs and cars. Re: rental prices, try looking at craigslist and the like. Just as an example, my DD is renting a pretty nice, 2 BR, 2 bath apt. with W/D and garage in COS for I beileve $850 (something in the 800s).

Old 09-12-2009, 06:13 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,503,422 times
You're young and you have no debts! That's amazing these days. I say go for it. If you don't, you will always regret it. The economy isn't THAT bad here and you can always find some short-term job until you get what you want. You could even consider the dreaded "roommate" for awhile. Check craigslist. If you want to live near downtown Denver, you're probably not going to find a studio for less than $650 that you'd want to live in. You can probably find a nice place with a roommate for $400 - $500. I'd definitely suggest a 4WD if you are planning to ski/board. Subarus are very popular, Jeeps even more so. I have a 750 sq. ft. place and utilitites average $80 / month (ac and heat).

Old 09-14-2009, 12:25 PM

What roads are the most dangerous in the winter? I know I-70 can get shut down during heavy snowfall. What are some other towns and cities that are notorious for slick roads/bad winter drivers? I probably wont be able to get a new car before I move out there so should I invest in really good snow tires and chains or just save to get a car that would work better in the colorado climate. I have a 2wd honda accord to give you an idea of what I have.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:34 PM

146 posts, read 293,233 times
How serious are you about snowboarding? Would you consider moving somewhere other than Denver? Subaru = Yes, but it's not going to make you a better driver in bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado