U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM

723 posts, read 881,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
Generally I agree, which is why I noted the caveat. However, the last herd of elk I saw were down in Florence (at ~5000') right next to Canon City. That was in August. Granted I'm not there all the time to notice trends, and elk in Florence in August could have been extraordinary. As for beautiful forests, where our property sits at 8000' it's rather dry and somewhat desert like (all our south facing slopes are covered with prickly pear cactus). In some places in Canon at 5000' elevation it's actually greener than where our property sits at 8000' (which is still considered Canon City) due to irrigation and farming. That's why it's so important to visit in person. Everything is relative.

Thank you guys for the info, these things are good to know. But also I am moving to Colorado because of my job (perhaps). Not so much for the scenery as much as just a change in scenery. The midwest is growing all too old on me, and my family as well. Besides, I was told if for some reason I don't like it or if I am unsatisfied with the transition that I could transfer back home or to La Crosse. So the positives far outweigh the negatives in this one!!! Thank you again.

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
I was actually born and raised in Canon City, and now at 30 find myself back here once again. There's something about this town that feels like home, despite all the other places I've lived. People wave in traffic because everyone knows everyone, there's always some cute, quaint little event going on. The scenery is beautiful and you definitely get the full benefit of the four seasons! Absolutely gorgeous autumn, it's so fun to spend a sunny fall day driving out in the wilderness to see the aspen trees changing. We have most of the more important amenities larger towns have, just not the quantity (we even have sushi now!). You'll be showing up at a fun time of the year too. We have our own little holiday weekend - The Blossom Festival. Not as exciting as it sounds, but there's a parade, a rodeo and a carnival which the kiddies always look forward to. Most people seem to be in an overall happy mood at that time of year, maybe it signals the end of the cold! The crime is low and we don't really have any nasty, ghetto areas that I can think of. Overall it has all the things people always say they want in a place to live. There's always something to do and someone nice to do it with.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgreenie View Post
I was actually born and raised in Canon City, and now at 30 find myself back here once again. There's something about this town that feels like home, despite all the other places I've lived. People wave in traffic because everyone knows everyone, there's always some cute, quaint little event going on. The scenery is beautiful and you definitely get the full benefit of the four seasons! Absolutely gorgeous autumn, it's so fun to spend a sunny fall day driving out in the wilderness to see the aspen trees changing. We have most of the more important amenities larger towns have, just not the quantity (we even have sushi now!). You'll be showing up at a fun time of the year too. We have our own little holiday weekend - The Blossom Festival. Not as exciting as it sounds, but there's a parade, a rodeo and a carnival which the kiddies always look forward to. Most people seem to be in an overall happy mood at that time of year, maybe it signals the end of the cold! The crime is low and we don't really have any nasty, ghetto areas that I can think of. Overall it has all the things people always say they want in a place to live. There's always something to do and someone nice to do it with.
We have made our visit official. We will be arriving in Canon City on April 26th and we will be departing on April 29th of next year. What weekend is The Blossom Festival usually held?? I really can't wait to this beautiful town you call home. My 2 Daughters are under a year old so hopefully one day they will call Canon City home!!! Also, does anyone know of a good place to stay (Hotels)?? Or of a good place to take my wife on our anniversary for maybe dinner or something else???

THANK YOU,
GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,514,367 times
Quality Inn & Suites in Canon City is by far the best Hotel....It has everything!!
For dinner I would suggest Le Petit Chablis or maybe Merlinos Belevedere.
IF you like a more "fun" atmosphere...I would suggest taking the Royal Gorge Route...Train, and do a dinner or murder mystery route...VERY FUN!! Wine tasting and lunch tours too!!
There are several packages to chose from. Google it and you will see what I mean....I LOVE doing that here!!
Do not forget to go to the ABBEY ( right next door to the hotel I mentioned) everyday for your "wine tasting"...it is free and very memorable!!!
Have FUN!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 PM

16,492 posts, read 20,878,940 times
SheridanL is right. The Holy Cross Abbey is one beautiful structure, it's on the east side of town. Everytime I think of Merlinos, I think of that cider. My dad's best friend lived within maybe a half mile south of the Abbey, we visited him often.

Also, do what SheridanL says, take that train route, you'll love it!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-09-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,514,367 times
By the way...spring blossom festival for 2010 is...April 30th to May 1st.
It is always huge for bikers (like Sturgis) for motorcyclist's.
If you want a "greener" place in Colorado,....I suggest Canon City.
This comes from someone who grew up in Denver,..raised and gave birth in Aurora AND then raised a son in Eagle/Vail and Canon.
It IS very green compared to most of Colorado....even tho some would disagree (why is so confusing to me),,,,I often say it is an Oasis.....SOME disagree and I would suggest to look up....OASIS in a dictionary!!
I really think you would love everything about Canon and, being very close to..COS (less than 40 miles) AND,...Pueblo (less than 35 miles)...40 minutes to 35 minutes............you can't go from one end to the other in a major city!!!!
As far as prisons go ( A MAJOR employer)....can you google how many escape or, effect our life?!!! NOT going to happen!!!
One can be a ...guard,..maintenence,...Warden...parole,...case manager...nurse,...doctor....ETC!!...plumber,..ele ctrician...kitchen help....laundry, physcholigist/sp?...etc,..
I have half my husbands family working there AND that is after MY husband was a Major in DOC!!
They ALL have a very nice life!! EVEN in this economy!!
Will they have jobs in the future?? Unfortunetly?sp? YES!!
We have some,if not most, of the Mildest weather in Colorado...ask Jazzlover!
It is truly beautiful here! I should know,....I grew up in Denver,...lived a big part of my life in Aurora/Centennial/Eagle....and now in Canon City.
I swear..........I would Always prefer Canon City!!
JMO!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 AM

Thank You, SheridanL, and DOUBLE H!!! I really do appreciate the info. I will definately be doing a few google searches. The ABBEY huh?? I just had a daughter in August! What is her name?? ......ABBY .....LOL .........(what a coincidence).......Anyway thanks again, and I can't wait to make our visit!! If anyone else has more ideas I would love to hear them. We are very appreciative, as well as soooo excited!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,621 times
I grew up in Canon City (CO Native). As a kid, it was the LAST place I wanted to live because I never felt there was anything to do. Now, as a father of THREE kids, this is absolutely the BEST place to live! I moved around with the Air Force (lived everywhere from FL to OH to Los Angeles) and I frequently travel the US from east to west (business AND vacation) even now...and I can honestly say we'll never leave Canon City. It's an awesome place to raise a family, the weather is incredibly temperate (we call this the 'banana belt of CO'), and living in the foothills, well, what can I say....there's tons of hiking, camping, etc, within minutes in any direction.

As for the prisons -- Canon City is probably the safest place to be. On those rare occasions there's ever an escape, the last place the cons want to run is into a town full of prison guards!

Good paying jobs are scarce (the prison pays fairly well, from what I understand) but if you're thinking of making 6-figures, you'll have to do business outside the town, most likely.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 PM

23 posts, read 56,810 times
Default Looking for a home...

Hi - I also am an AF member, stationed overseas. I'm "attempting" to be pro active and find my retirement home now. Can you tell me if Canon City has any "green"? I currently live in England, and really enjoy being surrounded by green. Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDzNutz View Post
I grew up in Canon City (CO Native). As a kid, it was the LAST place I wanted to live because I never felt there was anything to do. Now, as a father of THREE kids, this is absolutely the BEST place to live! I moved around with the Air Force (lived everywhere from FL to OH to Los Angeles) and I frequently travel the US from east to west (business AND vacation) even now...and I can honestly say we'll never leave Canon City. It's an awesome place to raise a family, the weather is incredibly temperate (we call this the 'banana belt of CO'), and living in the foothills, well, what can I say....there's tons of hiking, camping, etc, within minutes in any direction.

As for the prisons -- Canon City is probably the safest place to be. On those rare occasions there's ever an escape, the last place the cons want to run is into a town full of prison guards!

Good paying jobs are scarce (the prison pays fairly well, from what I understand) but if you're thinking of making 6-figures, you'll have to do business outside the town, most likely.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-30-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 03:06 PM

20,815 posts, read 39,004,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katr View Post
Hi - I also am an AF member, stationed overseas. I'm "attempting" to be pro active and find my retirement home now. Can you tell me if Canon City has any "green"? I currently live in England, and really enjoy being surrounded by green. Any advice?
Some green, not a lot. Here are the pix C-D has on file.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado