U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,514,367 times

Advertisements

Canon City is very green. Especially my yard!LOL! Natural, of course!!
I am looking out my window right now...overlooking the city to the west with the mountains as my backdrop and all of the tops of the trees !!
I live on the east side (kind of up high compared to the rest of the city).
The first time I ever came into Canon,...I was on my way here from COS..going down 115...it was a very foothilly, rocky, brown drive (so is the drive from Pueblo, only more flat)....then all of the sudden when I turned onto highway 50 and headed west.....into view came Canon!! I thought, "holy crappola!!" "Where did all of these green come from?"
Of course, the Arkansas River runs thru the town as does,..tons of irrigation ditches (I'm talking little watery like rivers running thru many many yards!) I have personally owned 3 properties here with the irrigation ditches running thru the yard with a small bridge to get to the other side)
I own ditch rights so..I have watering for my 2 acres.
I think anyone would like it here!

My youngest son graduated from HS here. He couldn't wait to leave and see the world!! Now that he has covered a good part of the world (now in the Gulf of Aden) and is stationed in Hawaii...he cannot wait to get back here!!! He now LOVES it!!
My oldest son was born and raised in Denver....he was a professor in Rhode Island for years. He now lives in Antarctica ....all of his belongings are here in Canon and, although he loves Denver...he says that he could easliy live in Canon!! He loves it!! Go figure?!!
By the way, they are 10 years apart in age but, they have lessened that gap as adults (one is 22 one is 32).

There are so many different types of neighborhoods here...victorian, modern, etc. I happen to live in a mixture (I have one of the oldest homes that has been upgraded with a tennis court and 2 acres.) I live on the old "Snob Hill"...NO, I am not a snob, thank you....but...there is no way in heck I could afford such a property in most of Denver, COS, etc!! NO WAY...even if one could find a "like" property!!

I grew up in Northwest Denver ( between Lakeside and the old Elitches).
It was ok ....I was a few houses away from Berkeley Park.
Now, I find out,...my old home and neighborhood are rather popular and pricey!!! What???? Worth so much more than my home now!!! Crazy!!
My kitchen now would fill up my old home and the yard!! Close, real close!

In Canon...I am 45 minutes to COS...2 hours from Denver..30 minutes from Pueblo AND......2 hours to Breckenridge!!! My personal fave!!!! All of them very easy drives I might add!!

I never ever thought I would like a smaller town just a decade or so ago...I was such a big city girl. Well....I still am when it suits me,..I just drive for 30 minutes to get there!!
Heck, when I lived in Centennial/Aurora..I drove at least that long from one end of Buckley to the other!!!!!
I really really like Applewood and Evergreen. It takes at least that long of a drive to get to Denver from those 2 places!
Gosh...look at my very longwinded post!!!
I could have drove to a play in Denver by now!!!

No matter where one lives.....your boundaries are what YOU make them!
Close, if you want....further out, if you wish! JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM

65 posts, read 82,945 times
KATR, I think the main reason that Canon is greener is because there are so many planted trees. Apparently, people have been planting trees there for many years and now they do produce a green oasis (same thing in Fort Collins). Gardening is huge there...the climate is good for gardening...and the streets and yards are adorned with many roses, lilacs and other flowers in spring. The area of old homes to the north of town is especially pretty. And in the years I've been going to Canon (I live in Westcliffe, 45 minutes away and go to Canon often) this old area seems to be looking more spruced up and revitalized. Aside from that, the area is high desert, and that can seem awfully brown in the winter to some, though I think the high desert has its own beauty. Just to the west, though, the thickly forested mountains spring up and you can always drive into them when you crave green. Canyon is a nice little town. I couldn't live there because I just can't stand heat, and it absolutely does get very hot in the summer. Yes it's dry, but it's still very hot! I've lived in the high country too long so I guess I'm spoiled!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM

723 posts, read 881,602 times
The heat I don't mind. It's the humidity that kills me!!! Don't have to worry about that there!! It looks like there is alot to do in Canon city. I think my family will enjoy it!! How are the schools in Canon?? My son will be going into 7th grade, and my daughters will be starting school in a few years. Is there only one middle school?? It would be neat if he had an option. Thanks again, SheridanL!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM

There is a school called Mountain View Core Knowledge that is preschool thru 8th grade. Smaller class size.
My youngest went to the regular Junior High and High School. I thought they were just great! He is now a Cryptologist in the Navy.
My oldset son went to Cherry Creek Schools (supposed to be the best in Colorado) he is a professor and is now in Antarctica!!
I liked both of these school districts.
I think your family and you will love it here!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM

486 posts, read 1,273,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
The heat I don't mind. It's the humidity that kills me!!! Don't have to worry about that there!! It looks like there is alot to do in Canon city. I think my family will enjoy it!! How are the schools in Canon?? My son will be going into 7th grade, and my daughters will be starting school in a few years. Is there only one middle school?? It would be neat if he had an option. Thanks again, SheridanL!!!
no worries about humidity here - it is dry in the winters and hot/dry in the summers. It is a VERY comfortable climate to live in, except you need to moisturize quite a bit
CC is a very family friendly place, and I've always felt safe here. There is also an alternative highschool called Garden Park. There are a variety of elementary schools to chose from.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM

oh and about the greenscape...
Canon City is one of the greenest, treed places i have seen in all my travels in Colorado. People have wonderful gardens, roses, and fruit trees galore. It's not as green as New Enlgand, but it is lush by Colorado (high desert) standards.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM

So true sesamekid!!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 AM

Also...Canon City is almost finished with a water park on the Arkansas! It is called WKRP....kayaking, swimming, rafting, etc. It is going to be awsome!! Opens up in about 6 weeks!!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
Our small Colorado town just started allowing people to keep chickens, but no roosters. Does Canon City allow chickens?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_girl2010 View Post
Our small Colorado town just started allowing people to keep chickens, but no roosters. Does Canon City allow chickens?
Yes, there are some houses within city limits where chickens are kept. I can't tell you if there is an official rule or by-law for or against it, but if there is, it doesn't get enforced. I know people who even keep a pig in their yard within city limits - now that may sound gross, but it is actually a pastoral and bucolic scene. People even let their chickens "free range" in town. I say this because when i walk my little dogs on a leash, we are somethimes followed by curious chickens - right down the road! again, it is a rather charming feature of Canon City. Local folks often sell or give away their chicken eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado