U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 05:57 AM

204 posts, read 528,724 times

Advertisements

I've only lived in Ohio except for the two summers I worked in Colorado as a college student in the late 70's. That was the only time in my life I had hair that wasn't a fuzz-helmet. I loved the low humidity, but I did notice that I sunburned more quickly. As a fair blue-eyed blonde who's spent a lot of time outside, I know my dermatologist pretty well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 AM

261 posts, read 620,063 times
FWIW I lived in Colorado mostly from '95 until a few months ago. I always tried to be careful about the sun, but there are so many times when you get exposed to it and can't help it. Anyhow, I have pretty noticeable crows feet at 32. Bit more of the Clint Eastwood look than I was expecting this early on. This may be more the result of too many summers at the beach and lakes growing up in NC, but I don't think the Colorado sun did me any favors, either. They didn't become noticeable until my late 20's in Colorado.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,260,427 times
The dryness itself won't cause you to wrinkle, but repeated, vicious sun-burns due to not wearing adequate sun protection will. Not to mention skin cancer.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:40 PM

6,948 posts, read 7,352,414 times
Dryness will help wrinkle if you never went in the sun. The moisture in your skin evaporates at a much faster rate.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,260,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
The moisture in your skin evaporates at a much faster rate.
Right... which will leave you with dry skin, not necessarily wrinkles. If you really want good, healthy skin, then wear sunscreen and moisturize no matter where you live, esp. if that happens to be in the rocky mtns or another dry, high-alt climate, but I don't see any reason to plan your life around it.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,475,372 times
It only makes sense that you would get far more wrinkly and much faster than your counterparts if you live in Colorado than somewhere with more humidity. This is especially true if you're a lighter tone. I noticed this on the airplane as I was flying through Colorado. Many of the people there, especially the younger people appeared much older than they were.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 PM

5,284 posts, read 2,728,732 times
Yes.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:42 PM

14,463 posts, read 22,301,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I noticed this on the airplane as I was flying through Colorado. Many of the people there, especially the younger people appeared much older than they were.
Yes. From an airport is an excellent vantage point with which to gauge one's place of origin and a cross section of that locale.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,475,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yes. From an airport is an excellent vantage point with which to gauge one's place of origin and a cross section of that locale.
I also noticed it when I walked around Denver, but it was clearly apparent in the illuminating florescent lighting of the Denver airport. You could tell who was a native and who wasn't based on the texture of their skin. I never noticed this in any other place that I can think of.

It must be the combination of the dry air, bright sun, and cold winters.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM

3,037 posts, read 2,059,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I also noticed it when I walked around Denver, but it was clearly apparent in the illuminating florescent lighting of the Denver airport. You could tell who was a native and who wasn't based on the texture of their skin. I never noticed this in any other place that I can think of.

It must be the combination of the dry air, bright sun, and cold winters.
That is funny to me since so much of Denver consists of transplants. According to the Denver Business Journal, 46% of Colorado's population are transplants. I'd suspect that percentage to be much higher in the Denver metro area than elsewhere in the state.

However, it has been proven that excessive exposure to sun can accelerate aging of the skin. We're a mile high here. That is a lot of atmosphere that is lacking compared to a sea level city. UV radiation with dry air, yeah, it might make for some older looking skin. Winters are much colder in the midwest than they are here, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or