U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:05 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,590,886 times

Advertisements

People seem to age faster in the West then they do in the more humid and less sunny area's of the country.

I lived in Arizona, Nevada and Colorado which have very dry, sunny urban area's and the average 30 year old looks about the same age as the average 35 year old in state's like Nebraska (cold) and Florida (humid).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 02:20 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
People seem to age faster in the West then they do in the more humid and less sunny area's of the country.

I lived in Arizona, Nevada and Colorado which have very dry, sunny urban area's and the average 30 year old looks about the same age as the average 35 year old in state's like Nebraska (cold) and Florida (humid).
I was really surprised by this too. Like I said in another thread, I got help from a guy that I thought was in his forties, that turned out to be a college student in his early twenties.

I've never seen anything like that. It must be the combination of the cold and the dry. I'm actually surprised that so many Californians have moved there considering they have a reputation for vanity.

I imagine that they will be almost unrecognizable when they move back to California, due to the harsh climate's affect on their skin. People will think they've aged considerably.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 PM

629 posts, read 887,243 times
If you spend a lot of time in the sun and don't protect your skin properly, you may end up looking leathery. Genetics and smoking play a big part in how your skin looks.
If you take good care of your skin and don't smoke living in Colorado doesn't "make your skin wrinkle".
Some lady friends of mind have spent their lives outdoors skiing, surfing, hiking, biking, playing tennis, golfing for 40+ years. They look their ages but I wouldn't say any of them look older. Some didn't always live in Colorado, they didn't always use sunscreen and some of them smoked.
I'm younger, I've lived in CO for more than 20 years, mostly at higher elevations (6500-8000'). I've always been very careful with my skin because my mom is a dermatologist. Most people think I am 10 years younger than I am.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,754,895 times
Nah. Sunscreen every day and plenty of water to keep you hydrated will prevent the dry, leathery look.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:09 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,054,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I would say the sun exposure is the key component as I've met as many people with prematurely aged skin on both coasts who are constantly on the beach as I have in the mountain west. Since we have so much outdoor activity here, it tends to lead to more sun exposure. Without adequate protect, the sun will damage and age your skin.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 AM

14,459 posts, read 22,290,695 times
I'd agree with that based on my experience.

I've seen just about as many ski instructors from Colorado with that broken-in catcher's mitt-face as I've seen sun-worshipers from Florida with the same look.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:56 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,726,528 times
A great deal of care must be taken to take care of your skin in Colorado, due to the high altitude and intense year-round sunlight.

With that said, I have lived in the west for the majority of my life and Colorado for 12 (minus 2 years in the midwest). I'm a 32 year old guy and I'm certainly not trying to be vain, but I think my skin looks good for my age. With that said, I work in an office, so I'm less exposed to UV rays. I use facial sunscreen daily and apply extra sunscreen elsewhere when I spend prolonged time outside. I try to eat a healthy diet full of nutritious fruits and vegetables and drink lots of water. I don't smoke and try to drink in moderation.

I can see where people who work in professions that require them to be outside constantly or those who spend a lot of time outside without lathering on the sunscreen are likely prone to aging faster. Regardless where you live, though, I believe that lifestyle choices, genetics and stress levels play a huge part in the aging process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or