U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,261,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
There are alot of tornadoes in CO.
Huh???

If by 'alot' you mean a few per year in the springtime out on the eastern plains, then I guess I would agree. Other than that, CO is definitely NOT a tornado-prone state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 PM

6,512 posts, read 10,157,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Huh???

If by 'alot' you mean a few per year in the springtime out on the eastern plains, then I guess I would agree. Other than that, CO is definitely NOT a tornado-prone state.
Exactly. Colorado has one of the lowest average number of tornadoes per year of all the central plains states. The state averaged 25 tornadoes per year between 1950 and 1995. Compare that to

Texas - 124
Oklahoma - 52
Kansas - 47
Nebraska - 37

Heck even Florida averages more tornadoes per year at 46. Last year's Windsor tornado was the exception rather than the rule. In the 15 years I lived in Colorado I saw 1 funnel cloud - a cold-weather funnel that would have been an F0 had it actually touched down.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,094,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin_09 View Post
I appreciate the input, guys. It's too bad that the West is so crowded and work so difficult to find (although that's the case everywhere). It seems like there is a lot of work in the Fort Collins area, but its been years since I've been there, and by looking at the map it looks like its just one big metro area from Denver on up. The thought of living there horrifies me, as I've lived my entire life in a town of about 3,500 people. We don't even have a Wal-Mart. We have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest one and for actual shopping it an hour and a half away. Honestly, I think I'd feel out of place and a bit afraid in such a HUGE area.
I looked into Montana, and the state really appeals to me, but my mother will be moving with us. She has arthritis and has had a broken hip, so all of the snow and extreme temps could be a problem for her. That is one reason I was looking into Cortez, as I understand that it has somewhat mild winters. Trinidad could also be a possibillity for us. It is on the Eastern side of the state. Does anyone know anything about Trinidad as regards work? What sort of town is it?
If your Mom's health issues and ability to deal with extreme temps is a factor in your move, then all of the posts on this thread about the relative virtues of jobs/costs of living and "rural" in Colorado are moot.

The Colorado mountains are cold and snowy in the winter ... in spite of that being a relative situation, where there are places that are "less" cold and "less" snowy, they're still cold and snowy. Just not as bad as the places of extreme note, like Gunnison, or Trinidad, or a whole host of other places at altitude.

Out on the Eastern plains, it's more of the same. It might not be as cold for temps as the mountains (and then again, it may be), but the storms through that area bring a lot of inclement weather through the winter months. Again, the amount of snowfall may be relatively minor compared to other places ... and then again, it can be pretty devastating. There's reasons why the interstate highways and the state highways get road closures during the winter months ....

Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 PM

68 posts, read 148,362 times
Default Trinidad??

Screwed-up yes. Awful extreme weather - I am not so sure about that??

Old 09-22-2009, 04:47 PM

57 posts, read 184,932 times
So what is meant by the "banana belt" and the sunny, mild winter days...I think that is around Salida?

What is winter weather like around Westcliffe? Does the snow melt or is it there for the whole season, once it arrives?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM

12,172 posts, read 20,928,232 times
Banana belt means that most of the storms miss the area. For example Pueblo is known as the Banana belt because most of the snow storms miss the city while the rest of the region has blizzard conations.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:12 PM

12,172 posts, read 20,928,232 times
Default Rural life

Being the hub of southern Colorado Pueblo's largest newspaper has ran a number of stories on rural life. Today in the Chieftain they had a great editorial on rural Colorado. Here is the article:

LIFE IN rural Southeastern Colorado can be a challenge, but there's no better place to plant roots and raise a family than the region's small towns and surrounding farms and ranches.

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2009/09/22/editorial/doc4ab848079967d942773568.txt

Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
The only experience I have with Cortez passing through on two instances was groups of Native Americans who were three sheets to the wind falling of the curb into traffic. This @ 8AM! Not to mention the air quality has seemingly gone to hell in SE UTAH from Monticello down to AZ, extreme SW CO, and the whole area around Farmington, NM I always thought Dolores was cool, however it kind of breaks the rule: "If the sky ain't blue-it ain't on my list"
My friend and I was in Westcliffe and Alamosa in June looking at properties and I must say, if I can move to Westcliffe, then thats where I will spend the remainder of my life, We fell in love with Westcliffe and have been looking for something there to lease, but nothing yet. soooo if there are some farmers/ranchers in that area that would like to get out I want to lease with option to buy their facility for our rescue org. and yes we stopped by the zoing office and spoke with very nice people, that is one of the main things about Colorado, and Westcliffe the people are so nice and helpful, now just help me find a place and we will be your friends forever

Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,600 times
yeah and it is a beautiful town and the pub was a blast, and if any of you know Tiffany (we met her in the pub) don't give up on the job situation, if we get there as planned we will have a job for you with our rescues. you still have my business card???? we have yours

Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 PM

65 posts, read 82,885 times
Default On Westcliffe

Westcliffe IS a beautiful little town and from your description, except for one very important thing, sounds like it would be a great fit for your family: NO WORK! Really.

There is a good mix here of original ranch families, young families with kids and retirees of various means. The school is lovely, there is a theater, a beautiful bowling alley, music festivals in the summer, a health club with an olympic sized pool, and finally a tiny hand full of decent restaurants. (That's always a little iffy here.) It is 45 minutes to Canyon City, an hour and 15 to Pueblo, and an hour and 45 minutes to Co. Springs, an hour to Salida, an hour and 20 minutes to Monarch ski area. The only chain is Subway at the gas station and now a Dollar Store. A decent grocery store and an outstanding little meat market make everyday shopping easy. There is an amazing garden club, book clubs, pilates,...I could go on and on. It is beautifully unspoiled, though some old timers do grumble. There are actually no condo developments and no stop lights. It has a small but vibrant art community.

Westcliffe is a little gem that has stayed a gem because you have to come here on purpose, for one thing. You don't come through Westcliffe to get anywhere else. And, we don't have a big ski mountain or a big river. We do have the longest stretch of 14,000 footers in the Rockies. It's a really nice place to live. Weather is moderate (at least to Coloradoans) and the views are the finest in America.

But there is absolutely no work here. Lots of people have left this year. If you are retired, however, or have tech work you do from home, and I might add aren't single...what a place this is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or