U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM

11 posts, read 42,340 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Castle Rock or somewhere near there, we're moving with 3 young children and from my research there seem to be really good schools in that area.

The thing is the weather kind of worries me. We will be coming from Southern California where I've lived my entire life. We currently live in a mountain community in California and I experienced living in snow for the first time last year. I didn't enjoy it mainly because of the windy, twisting mountain roads, it scares me to drive here. We also get large amounts of fog (well it's actually the low clouds) that reduce visibility to zero.

I've read that the snow melts quickly in the Denver area and that most of the time the weather is sunny. I just want to get honest opinions of what the weather is like in that area from people that live there. I liked the snow to play, and look at and I love the cold weather I'm just worried about driving!

Thanks for any info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,862,973 times
Where will and/or your spouse be working? Castle Rock is quite a hike if you're commuting to downtown Denver.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,737,438 times
The weather in the Castle Rock area can vary dramatically from year to year. In 2006, our first winter after relocating, Castle Rock had record snowfalls, and it was difficult to get in and out of our neighborhood for many weeks. As I recall, our mail delivery was interrupted for a week or so until the plows could get out to clear the roads. The next winter brought fairly light snowfalls, and we had no trouble at all.

The Farmer's Almanac says this winter will be cold and wet for the center of the country. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 15 days ago)

10,881 posts, read 29,298,461 times
The higher the elevation the longer the snow lasts.

Why relocate to Denver?

What else is important?

Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM

11 posts, read 42,340 times
I'm finishing nursing school so I'll be looking for a nursing job once we move and my husband works in commerical printing at the moment but he's finishing up his IT degree.

Right now my husband drives 70 miles one way to work, he's driving about 1 1/2 hours each way, depending on traffic. I only drive about 30 to 45 minutes to work. I used to work in real estate and was driving up to 3 hours one way for the company I worked for.

We're looking to move because we want something different, we are tired of living in CA and we have a few friends that have moved to the Denver area and love it. My husband says he wants seasons and I want good schools for our kids. In order for us to stay in California and get all that we're looking for in neighborhood, weather, and schools we'd need to make far more money than I see us making anytime in the near or far future.

I'd consider living closer to where ever we end up working, a friend recommended Castle Rock because of the schools and neighborhoods. We'll be taking a trip out there soon to look around and see where we'd like to go. We will be renting for about a year when we do make the move that way we can get familiar with the area before chosing where we'd like to purchase a home.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,961,887 times
Castle Rock usually gets more snow than the Denver Metro area. Not more often, but more inches in a given storm.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 AM

260 posts, read 1,329,964 times
It's highly variable (the snow). Winter lasts about 2 weeks longer here, but in the summer the higher elevation means its never hot either ... about 6-8 degree lower than Denver in the summer ... so you won't see 100 in CR. The winds are fairly bad at times ... but not all year long. The snow driving isn't bad, IMHO. Thick fog is pretty rare here. The town of CR does a good job with the roads ... I-25 can be a royal mess, however, in bad weather. CR has a nice small town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado