U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,381 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I are looking to move out of northern California to Colorado, and we're considering both Boulder and Colorado Springs. I have a Bachelor's degree in Social Work and my husband has a Bachelors in Business with an international emphasis. Which city do you think would fit us best, Boulder or C-Springs? We have family in C-Springs so we're considering it a bit more, but Boulder seems more like NorCal in a lot of ways (very green, very progressive). The biggest thing for us is finding good jobs, however. Which market has more employment opportunities at the moment? I know the unemployment rate is high everywhere at the moment, but we're coming from a place where it's difficult to find part time work at a fast food restaurant, so I know it's at least better than what we've been finding here. Thank you for any help! Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:50 AM

5,656 posts, read 9,389,023 times
Boulder is a liberal, progressive town with a large university and several major employers.

Colorado Springs is a conservative town with lots of military and government employers. It's a much bigger city than Boulder.

Both are next to mountains and green as far as Colorado standards go.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,258,827 times
Boulder has a lot of mountain and forest hippies, like Humboldt, so you might like that. And then insert techies and other urban professionals where you would find loggers and fishermen in Humboldt. The main difference is that Boulder is a lot more urban and more expensive than any place in Humboldt.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:09 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,815,081 times
I think you might regret leaving Humboldt for either Boulder of Colorado Springs. While Boulder has a green attitude, the environment itself is far from green....nothing at all like Humboldt county. While you might be able to find work at the fast food restaurants, finding professional positions in your fields is likely to be quite daunting. If you come, hopefully you'll be bringing a BIG wad of cash to tide you over until the Colorado economy turns around. I wish you the best in your endeavour.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,622,632 times
While Boulder itself is smaller than CoS, it is part of a much larger metro area. There is so much more going on in the Longmont/Boulder/Broomfield/Denver area, I would hesitate to encourage anyone to choose CoS over those areas. Unless, of course, jobs were secured in the Springs. It is cheaper to live in the south. [SIZE=1]
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado