Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Yes. Palmer Lake.

I'm going running in the mountains across the street now where I will see:
A waterfall, three lakes, many wildflowers, panoramic views, muskrat, deer, foxes, and many birds...

And maybe even...
Coyote, elk, wild turkeys...

And oarhaps someday...
A bear, a mountain lion.

If you stop hearing from me on here, you'll know why. ;-)
LOL to funny. Have fun and be safe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
It's hard for me to say this, but:

Not anymore.

I lived here (Denver Metro) for two years, moved to Eastern WA for 4 months (the move was supposed to be at least semi-permanent), and am now back, but I'm not too happy about it.

I thought I loved it here, until I left and got comfortable/happy somewhere else. I think I have found out what exactly happiness/loving a place really means now, and I know now where that place is.

Only time will tell if I can grow to love living here again, but being back here now, I have serious doubts.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
I still love living here. It's been 5 years since moving to Monument from San Diego. We miss some things, like 70 degrees in December, but still enjoy the different seasons that we experience now. I know the sprawl that long-time residents have seen along the Front Range seems way over the top, but to a long time SoCal'er CO seems very rural, especially here in Monument.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
I love the natural side of Colorado: it's geography is magnificent, I love most of its climates, and the natural flora and fauna is fascinating. I also love Colorado's historical heritage. What I increasingly and more vehemently dislike every day about Colorado is the "human" side of the state. First and foremost, the out-of-control population growth of the last few decades has completely altered the character of the state--threatens to destroy its most irreplaceable natural wonders, has changed the sociology of the state nearly completely, and is trampling its historical heritage. Simply put, the Colorado I grew up in and loved is now ceasing to exist. That is a real tragedy--and stupidity, ignorance, and greed has gotten us there. I was out today--a glorious fall day in Colorado. It was a great day, until I popped over a hill, and overlooked a little valley area I hadn't seen for awhile. Two years ago, it was a couple of thousand acres of prime irrigated farmland. Today it's a g******ed upscale subdivision. I am real sick of that.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:10 PM

36 posts, read 87,228 times
been here only 3 weeks from SoCal. im in SE Aurora and denver mostly. been to vail and glenwood springs.

I love it

Old 09-20-2009, 03:46 PM

90 posts, read 262,576 times
Quote:
Simply put, the Colorado I grew up in and loved is now ceasing to exist. That is a real tragedy--and stupidity, ignorance, and greed has gotten us there. I was out today--a glorious fall day in Colorado. It was a great day, until I popped over a hill, and overlooked a little valley area I hadn't seen for awhile. Two years ago, it was a couple of thousand acres of prime irrigated farmland.
Jazzlover, whatever town or state we grew up in is different than it was back when the population was less. In my Philly suburb I can say the same things...farms are gone, my favorite parks have yuppy signs all over them, etc. I am glad you share your wisdom on important issues but if you're enjoying any of the other changes that have happened along the years, like MRI's, for instance, then realize that it is just a natural part of progress. And Colorado seems to me to be more aware than any state I have been in of its resources and of protecting as much open space as possible for future generations.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM

302 posts, read 864,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
My family and I moved to Louisville a few years ago from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. All I can say is I wish we moved a long time ago! We absolutely love it. I've lived in NY,MI,TX,LA and CO is the best by far.
Congratulations, I just read that Louisville was voted the #1 best place to live in the U.S. And I'm sure being a part of Colorado, it's just lovely.

I'm still living in Sacramento, CA, and can't wait to get out. We're actively planning it now.

We lived in Colorado Springs for several years due to military service and miss it so much...not just the economy (which I'm sure is better than here) but the weather and recreation and just pure beauty. What cupcake77 said really resounded with me--you don't know how you're taking things for granted until you've lost them.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 PM

116 posts, read 412,105 times
I've lived in seven different states from California to Texas to Virginia to a Midwestern state I won't mention, and Colorado has been by far the best. But I love to climb/hike, ski and snowshoe, and I love craft beer and good restaurants, so it's a natural fit. DIA is also a great, centrally located airport, so that's a bonus. Oh, and did I mention I love mountains?

Yes, I love living here ... though the career may take me elsewhere someday. And while I won't be happy, I'm always open to new experiences. And if those experiences suck, well, I can always come back to wonderful Colorado.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I like it a lot. Borderline on the "love." To be honest I would rather be on the Front Range (not Grand Junction), because I like living in bigger cities.

Overall, I consider Colorado a top place to live. It's great for the outdoors, which I do a lot, it's laid back, clean air, beautiful mountains and land, good quality of life.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
First and foremost, the out-of-control population growth of the last few decades has completely altered the character of the state--
Unfortunately the West of old is gone. I don't think any of us had the luxury of growing up when grizzlies were still here or when there was no such thing as "stocking" trout streams. I mean, back then, you could catch all the native trout you wanted out of the mountains because the fishing pressure was light to non-existent. I'm talking 100 years ago.

Since then, we've wiped out (or pushed out) the grizzly, wolves, wolverine, and all the trout. I guess if there was no stocking of fish, there wouldn't be any trout anywhere in Colorado.

Sad. But on the other hand, that's the way it is and we just gotta live with what we've got. At least I can still go out fly fishing and backpacking in beautiful country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado