U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,697,626 times

Advertisements

Yeah, he's check both Abq and Santa Fe. It's like there's a secret code he can't break.
I checked out a few books from the library on the Rocky Mountain states and just drooled over the pics, so I can definitely see the enchantment there. :0) And now that I know it's what's riding in the humidity, I can take a little bit more green.

So far, two of the kids have been made fun of for their accents- one of the grade schoolers and the high schooler. One guy asked our sixteen year old "Did jew git them horses in yit?" She just looked at him. I told her that she should have told him "yes, and I just found my missing Jackass." but she just doesn't have her mama's mouth, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
RamblinRoseRanch wrote:
One guy asked our sixteen year old "Did jew git them horses in yit?" She just looked at him. I told her that she should have told him "yes, and I just found my missing Jackass."
What a great comeback! Gotta luv it.

When we made our cross country move in the summer of '06, we spent a night in Moriarity. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but we had some great Mexican food there. Haven't yet found any Mexican restaurants in Colorado that measures up to the Mexican food we had in Moriarity.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks, Cosmic.
I'm gonna guess it was El Comedor? And, for your information that's NEW Mexican food you ate. :0) We're very proud of this distinction. Anytime the first question about your meal is "red or green" you know you're eatin' NM food. lol

Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 PM

345 posts, read 783,697 times
Greener here?? No Colorado is not greener than NM, they actually look very similar in the areas of NM I went to. I am guessing you are looking at pictures of places to visit, not places to live. The places to live are more on the brown side, flat and take getting use to when you come from a much greener and wetter state.

The people are nice here but kids can cruel any and everywhere you go. I am originally from the East Coast and say orange, so do my kids and here they put an accent on the OR part. So my kids were made fun of. Actually the kids in my one kid's class still yell orange when they see me I just smile and keep walking. So yea still might be teased here.

I found NM ( no offense) to be boring in the areas we were in, Taos, Abq and SF. Not much to do. It was hard to find activites for 3 days. Here we have lots more to see and do. But as far I remember the cost of living is a bit higher as well. If you are looking to rent a place with some acreage the rent is going to usually be over $1,000 a month. My friend who recently got divorced and wanted to find a reasonable priced farm house on an acre or two and could not afford it. Not sure what you are paying down there.

Check the paper for jobs and housing prices www.thedenverpost.com visit before you decide you will make another move. I do love it here and like the people, the shopping and etc but I so miss the ocean, the trees and all the green. So I am looking to go back East and am mixed about it. So really check into this state before you decide to pack up again.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:52 PM

87 posts, read 217,749 times
Are you also considering Wyoming? There is a lot of horse country there, clean air, etc.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM

345 posts, read 783,697 times
There are plently of reasons why WY is one of the biggest states yet the least populated
The cost of living is low, but there are not many jobs. It is windy as hell there and I personally do not find it a pretty state. I have driven in every direction usually to go someplace else Jackson's Hole and Yellowstone were the only places I liked.
Although if you live in the Cheyenne area and have no health issues with wind you would be an hour away from Fort Collins and 2'ish to Denver so not too far to do things here as well.
If you visit CO you might just want to head up to the Cheyenne area and look around. A good newspaper site to look for jobs apts and such is www.usnpl.com you can search state then towns.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,896,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Thanks, Cosmic.
I'm gonna guess it was El Comedor? And, for your information that's NEW Mexican food you ate. :0) We're very proud of this distinction. Anytime the first question about your meal is "red or green" you know you're eatin' NM food. lol
RRR is right. I have close friends who live in Edgewood, just west of Moriarty, that I visit every third month or so. It's a great place to eat!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Thanks, DoubleH- it's a family favorite!

gmm_24- we're currently paying 900 a month for a true pit. It LOOKS good, but looks are damned deceiving. By greener, I meant that I could go a little moister than high desert- our average rainfall is 12-15 inches a year.
There's no possible way we can go back to TN, so it's NM or somewhere else in the west. Thanks for the link.

PrinDi59- I love the IDEA of Wyoming, but it sounds like there's a definite reason it's billed as a harsh state. :0) Too much wind, water (and water quality) problems among other reasons.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Hey Ramblin, come have a look at Grand Junction-CO....you might like like it. My wife and I settled here a little more than 3 years ago, after looking at such places as Prescott-AZ, Silver City-NM, Ruidoso-NM, Pagosa Springs-CO, & Durango-CO. We actually preferred some of the other places, but we are both working class heros as John Lennon would say, so we needed a place with a vibrant economy. Grand Junction was the only place on that list that had one ( at the time anyway ), so we choose it as our new home. The economy has seen gone to the dogs, but real estate is more affordable now than it was back in '06 and the selection is much better. Shoot me any questions you might have. If I know the answer, I'll tell you. If not, I'll make something up that seems plausible.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks, CosmicWizard :-) I'll check it out- virtually, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or