U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 AM
 
36 posts, read 54,992 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Our family is looking to make a fresh start. We've had enough of South Florida and Florida in general.

We have two girls a teen and a tween. We want an area that has seasons with snow in the winter. Mountains would be nice. Good schools for the girls where english is NOT a second language. We want the old town feel you see in movies (yeah I know doesn't everyone! LOL), but seriously, I want to open up a bakery on Main Street. The top 5 places we are considering are Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, & Colorado.

Any advice, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,133 posts, read 9,383,162 times
Reputation: 2469
Woodland Park definitely has the small town feel. Population is ~7500 and is located under Pikes Peak at 8500' elevation. It's a quick 18 mile drive down to Colorado Springs for the big city things. WP does have a Walmart and your typical fast food places and a few restaurants. A bakery opened and only made for a few months, which wasn't long ago (6 months). i don't think there is any other mom and pop bakeries, other than the Donut Mill which is very popular with tourisits and ski/camping traffic.

WP Info: http://www.city-data.com/city/Woodla...-Colorado.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,659 posts, read 9,393,458 times
Reputation: 2886
There's basically four types of towns in Colorado.

1) Desert towns. These are small towns either on the eastern plains or in the high desert. Generally not good for employment opportunities. Some of them have that old town feel, while others are dry, dusty and run down.

2) Mountain towns for rich people. These are usually very nice. Lots of snow in the winter. Short summer season. Employment is usually tourist oriented because most of the people who own property and live there are rich people who have chosen to live next to ski areas, etc.

3) Mountain town for agriculture. There's a lot of ag in Colorado, and a lot of this is located in mountain valleys. Very nice areas, although rural and lots of farmland, grazeland, etc.

4) Front range cities. Denver. Boulder. Colorado Springs. Basically city living 30m-1h drive to the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 AM
 
530 posts, read 2,409,827 times
Reputation: 328
My family and I moved from New Orleans to Louisville after Katrina. We have a son now 16 and a daughter 14. We just love it here. Louisville was just named the #1 small town in America! Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: Louisville, CO - from MONEY Magazine There is a nice Main St and a small town feel, yet we are so close to Boulder and Denver. I just wish we would have moved a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 AM
 
36 posts, read 54,992 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
My family and I moved from New Orleans to Louisville after Katrina. We have a son now 16 and a daughter 14. We just love it here. Louisville was just named the #1 small town in America! Best Places to Live 2009 - Top 100: City details: Louisville, CO - from MONEY Magazine There is a nice Main St and a small town feel, yet we are so close to Boulder and Denver. I just wish we would have moved a long time ago.

Thank you for responding!

Do you happen to know the job situation in Louisville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 AM
 
36 posts, read 54,992 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There's basically four types of towns in Colorado.

1) Desert towns. These are small towns either on the eastern plains or in the high desert. Generally not good for employment opportunities. Some of them have that old town feel, while others are dry, dusty and run down.

2) Mountain towns for rich people. These are usually very nice. Lots of snow in the winter. Short summer season. Employment is usually tourist oriented because most of the people who own property and live there are rich people who have chosen to live next to ski areas, etc.

3) Mountain town for agriculture. There's a lot of ag in Colorado, and a lot of this is located in mountain valleys. Very nice areas, although rural and lots of farmland, grazeland, etc.

4) Front range cities. Denver. Boulder. Colorado Springs. Basically city living 30m-1h drive to the mountains.

Thank you for your response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 AM
 
402 posts, read 925,797 times
Reputation: 156
We live in Florida as well and we plan to move out west. We go to Tennessee every christmas just to escape this heat and see a change of landscape.

I have been to Colorado too, and Tennessee does not even compare. Tennessee is a very wet cold like florida can get but much colder. Still, better than Florida but if I had a choice I would take Colorado anyday and I do have a choice and thats where we are going to go. Not sure about the others you asked about because sking and mountain biking ect are a must for me so I narrowed it down between Utah, Colorado and Tennessee and Tennessee came in last but I already have my cabin reserved for December 17 for 5 days just to hold me over until We move next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM
 
36 posts, read 54,992 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Woodland Park definitely has the small town feel. Population is ~7500 and is located under Pikes Peak at 8500' elevation. It's a quick 18 mile drive down to Colorado Springs for the big city things. WP does have a Walmart and your typical fast food places and a few restaurants. A bakery opened and only made for a few months, which wasn't long ago (6 months). i don't think there is any other mom and pop bakeries, other than the Donut Mill which is very popular with tourisits and ski/camping traffic.

WP Info: http://www.city-data.com/city/Woodla...-Colorado.html

Thank you for your response and the link!

My concern is the bakery only lasting a few months. Do you happen to know what the job market is like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 AM
 
36 posts, read 54,992 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
We live in Florida as well and we plan to move out west. We go to Tennessee every christmas just to escape this heat and see a change of landscape.

I have been to Colorado too, and Tennessee does not even compare. Tennessee is a very wet cold like florida can get but much colder. Still, better than Florida but if I had a choice I would take Colorado anyday and I do have a choice and thats where we are going to go. Not sure about the others you asked about because sking and mountain biking ect are a must for me so I narrowed it down between Utah, Colorado and Tennessee and Tennessee came in last but I already have my cabin reserved for December 17 for 5 days just to hold me over until We move next summer.

Thank you for responding!

I too am tired of the heat, among many many other things too long to list (lol)! I like the cold and I don't mind rain. Since posting these threads I've found out that Tennessee doesn't get that much snow, I would like somewhere with snow. Christmas just isn't Christmas ( since your from Florida, you know what I mean)

Last edited by surfergirl67; 09-21-2009 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top