Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,931 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Colorado in 4 years, full retirement, and looking for someplace where the temperatures don't fall below say, 15 degrees in winter and stay around 80-90 in the summer. Does Rye fall in that category? I've seen the snow pictures, but does it last all winter long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM

120 posts, read 371,597 times
Rye falls into that category, but I would inch the low up a bit to say, 20-25. Lately, the summers have been reaching 100 degrees for a week or so at a time. At that elevation, it may not get that high, tho. Even so, the heat is dry; not like the humidity of Wisconsin (I lived there for 30 years). Except above about 8,000 feet, snow doesn't last all that long in Colorado. The ski areas keep it all (LOL)!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,077 times
Rye min temperatures average about 15 degrees during Dec-Feb, but it also gets down below zero at times. They average 13-14 days a year with temperatures dropping below zero. And...they average almost 70 inches of snow. Here is a summary from the cooperative station that operated for over 50 years:
RYE, COLORADO - Climate Summary

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
Read the averages above. Also, Rye is in a favored location to get extremely heavy individual snow storms on occasion--"heavy" equating to 3 to 4 FEET of snow in one dump. That may happen to that degree only once in every few years, but it is common enough that Rye has a well-deserved reputation for it. Rye also is only second to the area of the Palmer Divide and the area of Raton Mesa south of Trinidad for the number of thunderstorm days per year. It ranks as one of the areas with most frequency of thunderstorm days outside of Florida.

There are few areas in Colorado that have winter lows that stay above 15° F. in winter that do not have many days exceeding 90° in summer. Temperature is a function of elevation in Colorado: higher elevation equates to cooler temperatures in winter AND summer.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 PM

As Jazz mentioned...Rye is in a strategic location to get hammered on occasion. AVERAGE snow depths are only 2-4 inches in the winter, but...in an AVERAGE winter (if that ever happens), you could expect to see at least an inch or two of snow on the ground almost nonstop from the beginning of November until the end of April. You might want to peruse this table:

RYE, COLORADO - Climate Summary

Old 09-24-2009, 12:45 AM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
Rye got a good bit of snow on Monday, September 21st. That's the last day of summer and Rye and Colorado City got snowed on. Pretty cool, huh?

I don't think Rye ever gets 100° and doesn't get up in the 90s too often either. High 80s maybe. Rye's elevation goes from about 6900 ft to probably almost 9000 ft if you're up against the mountain or close to San Isabel.

Rye may get cold in the winter, but it's not much colder than surrounding areas. Even Pueblo gets cold in the morning. But the area is not an icebox like the San Luis Valley or the area around Fraiser is.

The nights in Rye are getting down into the high 40s/ low 30s now.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,931 times
Default thanks for the info

What is the nearest town for groceries, shopping etc?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 AM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
Colorado City has a not-too-shabby grocery store with an attached pharmacy and pumps for petro and diesel.

They built this new store last year, I believe, and I know the family that runs it. They've been in the business a long time and they run a nice clean store. It has a deli and a small bakery section, a butcher shop, a small produce section, about 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 isles, and have lunch specials there. They even rent videos and have a flourist there. Their store has about 3 or so checkout isles.

Now, there may be some things you can't find there (like clothing for sure). You may have to go to Pueblo (about 25 minutes north from Colorado City or about 32 minutes north from Rye) to pick up other things and in Pueblo you have two Super Wal Marts, a K-Mart or two, a pretty nice Target, a mall with Dillards Sears JC Penneys, two King Soopers, two Safeways (a really nice one out in Pueblo West), two Albertsons (one used to be a Grocery Warehouse and sells some fine ethnic foods, specifically Mexican food), two Lowes, a Home Depot, a Sams Club, and a bunch of good mom and pops. As Josseppie mentions, Gaglianos (sp?) is the bomb! It's on about elm and between Mesa and Northern. Elm is a block east of Abriendo. You'd take the Central exit and go north to get to it. Also in Pueblo is two butcher shops; J&J's and Franks.

I think Rye still has a little convenience store at the location of the old school and near the HS and the Grade school and practice football field.

Rye has no liquor stores or bars as it's dry. Rye is dry . You'd be lucky if there was a laundry mat or a cafe there. You cannot get petro in Rye. Rye has no stop lights... just a blinking red on main st. It's a small sleepy town, unless there's a football game or a basketball game that night.

Go Thunderbolts! RIP Jake.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-24-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM

McGowdog...maybe leavingwisconsin should see your little photo tour:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...hoto-tour.html

Actually, this looks like my kind of place, but my family uses terms such as hermit and recluse to describe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado