Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 16,767 times

Advertisements

I'll be transferring and my company has a lot of locations in Colorado.

I'm young, enjoy the arts, like being around like minded people, and most importantly of all wish to be near great backpacking/the parks/outdoors.

I make around 60k a year, which is good for someone my age, but I am not looking to spend it all on rent.

Suggestions?

I'm ignorant to the state and have really only heard of Boulder as a place that might be a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,986,462 times
Not looking to spend it all on rent completely rules out Boulder.

Maybe look at Golden or Fort Collins as a start, could pretty much almost be anywhere in the metro area though

Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Not looking to spend it all on rent completely rules out Boulder.

Maybe look at Golden or Fort Collins as a start, could pretty much almost be anywhere in the metro area though
Is living outside Boulder and not being too far from it an easy option?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,986,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM99 View Post
Is living outside Boulder and not being too far from it an easy option?
No that's actually what a lot of people do who work in Boulder. Louisville, Broomfield, Lafayette would be good options if you wanted to commute. That traffic into Boulder can suck though on US 36 especially with all the construction going on.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks. Are they pretty 'happening' towns?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,967,596 times
Wink Prioritized proximity

Depends. Proximity can make a big difference.

Many who cannot afford or stomach Boulder's housing costs choose to live relatively near it in places such as Louisville or Longmont. And while that can be a perfectly viable option it still leaves one as something of an outsider to Boulder's more intimate aspects. One will just not be there when they otherwise might, in consideration of the drive involved, etc.

This can make all the more difference if keenly interested in the outdoor recreation options literally in Boulder's backyard. Something, frankly, that many even within town limits may have some trouble accessing. Boulder has a great series of hiking trails up into the mountains originating from the edges of town. With a town of nearly 100,000, and many enthusiasts within, these trails are popular, the parking areas of the trailheads at times over crowded. From that standpoint alone I would recommend one with this a high priority to try and live within walking or easy bicycling distance of such a trailhead. Such as, ideally in, or near Chautauqua.

Conversely, if more interested in the arts and society, then somewhere near the western end of Pearl Street would make more sense. Some lovely neighborhoods, and within an easy walking distance to the many attractions of the Pearl Street pedestrian mall and that adjacent.

Neither of these possible options will prove inexpensive, particularly if ever contemplating buying a residence. But as realtors are fond of saying—and in this case true—it's location, location, location. At least for a period in one's life it might be worth making the sacrifices necessary to make this happen.

Insofar as locations outside of Boulder, one's options expand. And it might be remembered that while a definite plus to be living near a trailhead that at times one might wish more variety—and then in the same boat as everyone else in access. Boulder Canyon up toward Nederland is a perfect example. One cannot drive up there, particularly in summer, without quickly appreciating how popular the great outdoors is to many enthusiasts in the area. This would suggest that if some serenity is also desired than perhaps their hikes best taken farther afield. That negates some of the other obvious advantages of Boulder. If a problem more or less shared in common by much of the Front Range.

Nevertheless, the thought that first came to mind in this question posed was Boulder. And your mention of no less confirmed that. Definitely worth considering, if with part of that in the prices to be paid. And all the more rewarding if from the home base best meeting one's prioritized preferences.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:05 PM

Great insight, thanks!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:50 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,108,116 times
I disagree that you must "completely rule out Boulder".
What's your budget for rent? You may want to look at Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Also, do a search in the Boulder forum.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
Default Colorado > So I am being relocated to Colorado with my company. I have a choice and it's pretty much wherever I want. Ad

thanks for the post

Old 02-26-2014, 06:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,490,998 times
You could probably find a decent place in Boulder for about $1500/mo. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Just remember you don't have to live right next to the mountains to have quick access. I lived in downtown near Coors Field and could easily be in Evergreen in 30 minutes or somewhere like Pine in less than an hour.

If the outdoors is more important to you than the arts and social stuff, I'd choose Boulder or Golden or Evergreen. Otherwise, I'd stay close to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado