Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 13,682 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a single mom of three kids (10yr, 7yrs, & 20months) from South Texas I have been looking into Breckenridge and it seems really nice. Work is not a problem as I have a successful home business. I love what I read about the climate and look forward to it. But I am having problems finding the perfect home--I am looking for something with acreage does it not exist in that area? We want to get some horses and I was wanting at least 5 acres with a 5bd home. Also I couldn't find any grocery stores in Breck, I know about Walmart nearby in Frisco (I think) but is there any grocery stores in Breck and what about doctors? I also read something about HOA not allowing pets in another forum--does that apply to Breck if you are buying your own home? We have 5 cats, and want to get 4 horses and couple dogs when we get there and I wondered about this being a problem. What neighborhoods are good to live there? I don't want to be too close to neighbors but I also don't want to be isolated in case there's an emergency and also to have someone to talk to.
Are all the homes log houses there? Why is that? Do they help during winter time? I don't like the dark wood color inside the house and that has also proven to be difficult to find a home--how paintable are the log houses in side?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,479,458 times
There is a smallish grocery store in town a block off Main Street. There is a large full-service grocery store (City Market) at the end of Main Street (Main & Airport) as well.

There is a Highcountry Healthcare clinic near the grocery store with good, long-time doctors. Closest hospital is in Frisco.

About real estate, not sure if what you want is available, but hope you have LOTS of money, and are prepared for l-o-n-g winters.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,611,768 times
Breck is at 9600 ft and it's a lot colder than other ski towns. Winter is already getting started right now up there and runs well into May.

Personally I haven't seen people with horses on their property in that area and possibly part of the problem is the harsh weather conditions. Also knowing how the HOA are up there, I doubt it would be allowed. Much of the area is hemmed in by national forest land and development so I think finding a multi acreage property in that area where you can have horses will be tough.

Hope you have a big budget as getting a 5 bedroom home in breck is going to be a million dollar plus proposition.

You might want to look in the Silverthorne area just north of town.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 AM

447 posts, read 1,603,378 times
sorry but your not going to find 5 acres in Breckenridge, and if you are looking for a 5BR plan on spending MILLIONS.

Good luck!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,897,246 times
Based on that criteria you need to have a very, very strong income (ie: extremely weathly - think a mid to high six figure income), it wouldn't be in Breck proper or even south in Blue River...it's not prime horse owning area as it sits in a tight valley.

Have you ever even been to Breck? It sounds like you have only read about it, seen what perhaps the real estate and travel sites have written. I strongly recommend a visit to any area before you pack up and move, especially with kids.

Sillly question "are all the houses log homes"? Are you serious? That's like asking if all the homes on the prairie are made out of mud and sticks...

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,162,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Sillly question "are all the houses log homes"? Are you serious? That's like asking if all the homes on the prairie are made out of mud and sticks...

Yes, I found that particularly funny as well. And then you mention possibly buying a log home and then painting it... Why would you even consider buying a log home if you don't like the color of logs?

Is this a serious post?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,364,201 times
How about the environment for young children??? Is is a good place to raise children??? Is there bad influences in this area that you need to avoid for the welfare of your children??? Are there much better areas for children???

I am not talking about horses, cats, dogs, or self indulgent adults--I am talking about children. I would give it some thought and read some of the post on this forum about the environment of resort mountain areas.

These are not the log cabins of Abraham Lincoln.

Livecontent

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 13,682 times
I do have a six figure income and of course I would stay for a couple weeks before making my decision. The reason I asked about the log cabin homes is when doing a real estate search for Breck that's all I get and I don't like the wood inside my home because it makes it darker and clutter feeling. Where as with the white it gives it a more opened space look. As far as "good environment" for the kids that is one reason I posted this for someone already (or had) lived there so I could get some info about it. I would like to research some towns and then go and spend time there. I am in Texas suffering 90 degrees humid heat in October so I long for a long winter. I love the cold and snow and I am accustomed to it and prefer it--I had just gotten stuck here as a child and I have the means to move now. What attracted me to Breck is that it's a small town surrounded by mountains near a larger town. That's what I want, however if I can't put horses there I would prefer to keep looking. I will look into Silverthorne, thank you for the kind suggestions. If there are any other small towns (population under 20k) that are safe places to raise kids. I don't car for a night life and would prefer a quiet community with heaps of snow and mountains and a lake close by but with room for the horses. I would prefer living West to North West of Denver (according to a storm tracker friend of mine they have less tornadoes on that side). I want Denver no more than an hour away because my kids and I want to be able to go to the zoos, museums, and concerts ect during the week so I don't want to go too far from a place that has those to offer. Is there even such a place in Colorado?
Thank you

Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM

718 posts, read 1,979,745 times
Have you looked into the areas near Winter Park? It seems like there is more of a ranch type feel (horses, etc) near Fraser and Granby than you will find in Summit County (except for the afore mentioned area north of Silverthorne).

Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,162,748 times
Your fantasies about breck, and the CO high country in general are a bit off base in several areas. For the sake of painting a realisitc picture, let me tell you what I know from my experience up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsinmoonlight View Post
I do have a six figure income and of course I would stay for a couple weeks before making my decision.
That's fine, but know that that 6-figure income should start with AT LEAST a 2 or 3 (net) or you'll find yourself at or near the poverty line in Breck. If you have the means, and it sounds like you do, I would recommend renting a furnished place and staying for a whole season, or a year, if possible. That area changes dramatically in many ways from season to season.

Quote:
The reason I asked about the log cabin homes is when doing a real estate search for Breck that's all I get and I don't like the wood inside my home because it makes it darker and clutter feeling. Where as with the white it gives it a more opened space look.
YES, there are homes available in breck with dry-walled interiors which you could paint any color you want. I'm not sure which website(s) you're looking at that are only showing log cabins, but I know there are plenty of non-log homes there as well. Contact a Realtor in that area.

Quote:
As far as "good environment" for the kids that is one reason I posted this for someone already (or had) lived there so I could get some info about it.I would like to research some towns and then go and spend time there.
Breck is a very expensive, busy and populous area (for its size), especially in the winter. I don't believe that necessarily makes it a BAD environment for kids, but that may depend on what your kids are into and if you really can afford the lifestyle you want for them. Researching and visitng is exactly what you should do, so that's good.

Quote:
I am in Texas suffering 90 degrees humid heat in October so I long for a long winter. I love the cold and snow and I am accustomed to it and prefer it--I had just gotten stuck here as a child and I have the means to move now.
Good cuz that's exactly what you'll get in Breck, as early as Septmber and as late as June. 90° and humid in Oct, does sound pretty unpleasant though, even as I look out at this very grey and freezing day we're having.

Quote:
What attracted me to Breck is that it's a small town surrounded by mountains near a larger town.
Just exactly which 'larger town' do you think Breck is near? Denver is a couple hours away via I70 (with no traffic problems, which are common in winter). You need to define 'larger' and 'close'.

Quote:
If there are any other small towns (population under 20k) that are safe places to raise kids. I don't car for a night life and would prefer a quiet community with heaps of snow and mountains and a lake close by but with room for the horses.
If you have the $$$ to buy a nice place there, breck does have snow, mountains and a beautiful lake nearby. I would hardly call it a 'quiet' community though, especially in the winter. If you count the tourist and seasonal population, it swells far beyond whatever they claim their population to be.

Quote:
I would prefer living West to North West of Denver (according to a storm tracker friend of mine they have less tornadoes on that side).
True, tornadoes do not form high up in the rugged mountains, but windstorms, thunderstorms, blizzards, avalanches, vast swaths of dead trees, and wildfires do.

Quote:
I want Denver no more than an hour away because my kids and I want to be able to go to the zoos, museums, and concerts ect during the week so I don't want to go too far from a place that has those to offer. Is there even such a place in Colorado?
Even the very western edge of Denver is more than an hour from breck with no traffic. For access to those things, it's better to look along the front range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado