U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM

291 posts, read 1,916,053 times

Advertisements

As a long-time, part-time resident of the mountains, I would say there is a lot of good information in this thread, both pro and con. Aspen is a wonderful and fun town, but a mediocre ski area. If you can buckle down and work at it, you can find reasonable lodging. This applies to any ski town.

The secret is to find a place on the bus route to the slopes and you can work or party as much as you want and not fight the traffic, or the other drunks. One place that is a great value is Winter Park. They have no bus in the off-season, but you won't need it, you'll be kayaking, hiking & biking. Reasonable lodging is available and skiing at nearby Mary Jane is some of the best in the mountains. The same mountain has some of the best mountain biking in the state.

Live as close to "the action" as your can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,199,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
You probably would need to drive very slowly on 24 to Ski Cooper. Or if the roads were clear, you could possibly drive very fast on 91 to Copper Mountain.
Very true I lived in Leadville for 2 years-had a season pass/taught part time at Copper-when the roads were clear I made it to Copper from Leadville in 20 min-30

The road (91) to Copper is pretty straight-unlike Battle Mountain to Vail

Ski Cooper would be about 20 min on HWY 24-

Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,199,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post
As a long-time, part-time resident of the mountains, I would say there is a lot of good information in this thread, both pro and con. Aspen is a wonderful and fun town, but a mediocre ski area.
wow
I could not disagree more-Aspen is a great area-Ajax, Highlands are my favorites

Plenty of steeps and the powder does not get as hacked up as the I-70 resorts

Go for A$pen-

Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 PM

323 posts, read 991,138 times
I just spent five months living in Aspen over the summer/fall. I actually grew to love it, and I was a worker bee there.
The guy who mentioned the male:female ratio is right. There are WAY more men in town than women. It also seems to me that the dating scene is really, really odd. People don't tend to form long-term relationships. They just date each other for a little while, then move on to someone else.
It's a very expensive place. It's difficult to live for many
But ... if you find the right job and the right place to stay - and you don't mind giving up on small luxuries like your own bathroom, your own kitchen or even your own bedroom - you'll be fine.
It's beautiful. It's a ton of fun.
And it's about as far away from reality as you can get - depending on how you feel about that, it might be a good thing.
Crested Butte and Telluride are great, too. But very small.
I also like Breckenridge, but the male:female ratio there is even worse from your standpoint.
What about a bigger town like Boulder?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:00 PM

65 posts, read 83,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
That's just the way it is. If one is a woman and you have an excess of supply of men and you are immature then yeah a lot of them play games.
Well, Wanneroo, I'll bet that goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado