Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM

23 posts, read 87,221 times

Advertisements

Well, we're actually on a Colorado road trip, checking out prospective places to live. We passed through Canon City, and from research that we've done, it's a place where you could stay busy working in construction, between Colorado Springs, Pueblo and Canon. The terrain makes my Utah raised husband happy--mountains and desert, and I have to admit, it is very pretty.
I was wondering about what utilities cost in Canon City as regards water, electricity, etc. I'd like to hear from any Canon City residents.
Also, I've heard rumblings about contamination from the uranium mine. So, straight up, what is the story here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,511 times
Utilities are pretty cheap, IMHO. I have a 3000-sf house and my family keeps lots of lights on (plus the outside lights all night and the A/C all summer). My average (over 12 mos) electric bill is just over $100. Gas averages $18/mo (obviously higher in the winter). Water is high in the summer (approx $150 for that quarter, watering my lawns every other day).

As for the uranium thing. I grew up here and most of us locals aren't overly concerned...I just wouldn't live on the land too close to the place (i.e. Dawson Ranch, Wolf Park, etc). I don't know that even those folks have ever had documented health issues...it's just a personal level of comfort. So, straight scoop: no big deal.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
I wouldnt worry about the uranium, I know many people born and raised there. A few being in their 80's now and they are very healthy, so I don't think the uranium mine is anything to worry about.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM

486 posts, read 1,496,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin_09 View Post
Well, we're actually on a Colorado road trip, checking out prospective places to live. We passed through Canon City, and from research that we've done, it's a place where you could stay busy working in construction, between Colorado Springs, Pueblo and Canon. The terrain makes my Utah raised husband happy--mountains and desert, and I have to admit, it is very pretty.
I was wondering about what utilities cost in Canon City as regards water, electricity, etc. I'd like to hear from any Canon City residents.
Also, I've heard rumblings about contamination from the uranium mine. So, straight up, what is the story here?
i live in Canon City and my husband works in construction and yes, this is a good area for those types of jobs as several construction companies are based out of here (Tezak comes to mind).

Utilities are reasonable... taxes are very low compared to the rest of Colorado (for example, we pay $800 a year for a 2000sf house).

If you are concerned about the Superfund Site due to contamination from a uranium mill, then just stay away from that south area of town - Lincoln Park. The other areas of town are considered safe since they are on the other side of the Arkansas River.

It's a nice place and the real estate is really affordable.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
I love it here (and I have lived all over Colorado)...both of my sons just got here for a visit..one from Hawaii and the other just off the ice from Antarctica. They both love it here!!
My taxes for a 4000 + sq ft home,..2 acres, etc., are 1300 per year.
My utilities are pretty high but, that is our fault ..home business, heated garage, tennis court lights...but, we do have irrigation water and that helps. Lots of homes here have irrigation water.
Mildest winters in Colorado too!!
I have a beautiful view of the mountains...it is 30 minutes to Pueblo and 45 to COS. It is very nice and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado