U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:12 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,492,000 times

Advertisements

Very good response. But what I see is that the people applying for the receptionist position are applying for many more positions. In your example the 500 applicants will be applying for more jobs at the same time. While the computer programmer applicant, 50-100 will be applying for less jobs at the same time. So, figures do not always tell the story because there may be 100 jobs available for the 500 receptionists, but only 10 jobs for the programmers. Also, the person who is applying for the receptionist is applying for many other type of work; but the programmer will only apply to the jobs that meet his education and experience.

My main premise is to diminish your wants, needs and desires. If you do that, you will have more control over your life; no matter if you are skilled or unskilled; educated or not educated. It is magic; it works for everyone.

I speak from experience. I would assume it is obvious that I have higher education. It is not obvious that I am sick and disabled and I cannot find a job or as the educated want-a "position" for 15 years. It has less of an impact because many years ago, I learned to live simpler and if I did not, I would have been in despair. Ah, today, and tomorrow, and the tomorrow after the tomorrow, I know I can
livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-27-2009 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
Pretty profound viewpoint, and I can definately see it; thus the minimalist lifestyle some people choose (the stuff you own ends up owning you).

So I guess the take home lesson is--if I have an Associate Degree and some other certifications and am applying at Burger King, don't mention them? Theoretically, just walk in, state I have a high school diploma and am going to school. When I finish my bachelor's, maybe then I can really get out and compete. Just a thought. (all constructive criticism welcome! )
I really do not live that bad of a minimalist life. When I got suddenly ill 15 years ago, I made a real effort to live even more simply. I was also somewhat frugal, so it was not as difficult as it would have been for some other people who have more desires. I paid off my house and my car and just hunkered down and waited to see what would happen. Well, it lead to me getting sicker and require more costly medical care, and I just notched it down a bit more and lived even more simpler. Stock Market collapsed--yes, this was not the only downturn; lost money--again another notch down.

Now I live only on Social Security Disability--you can make much than that, working for Burger King. But I am secure with no absolutely no debts, no mortgage, no car payments-- very little money but no debts.

I have run across those jobs where you have to hide your education but eventually the way you speak, write and perform will show if you have more education--if you indeed have education and not just an empty degree. Do not assume that a job at Burger King cannot lead to a bigger and better "position". The food industry is big and has more "positions" than those at the counter serving fries.

Livecontent

Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,977,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
My main premise is to diminish your wants, needs and desires. If you do that, you will have more control over your life; no matter if you are skilled or unskilled; educated or not educated. It is magic; it works for everyone.
No arguments with that whatsoever.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 AM

345 posts, read 782,555 times
But working at Burger King is even going to allow him to live a minimalist life? Getting paid min wage while you live with your parents is one thing but using that to try to pay for just rent, food, basic utilites and transportation would be really rough.

Yes lots of people are going to interviews for unskilled labor, my son is trying those jobs now since the contruction field is not hiring. My favorite was when they hired a bunch of guys, my son included and laid them all off right before the 90 days of being a full time employee with benefits kicked in. That was really cute.

If you are currently living in Sacramento and have a job I would say stick with it. If you have the funds to come out here and apply for jobs over say a weekend then do that. But I would not quit my job and come out here hoping to find one. You might not get one for quite a while, or one that does not pay you enough to pay the barest expenses.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM

5,659 posts, read 9,391,450 times
I work in IT on the western slope. My impression is that the Front range is pretty tight for IT work. Not that I'm looking for a job or anything, but from what I hear it's sort of hard. It's not 100% dry, there are some occasional openings, but there's probably a lot of resumes submitted for any given job opening.

Why don't you call recruiters and ask them? They'll tell you exactly what the market is like.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM

302 posts, read 772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
If you are currently living in Sacramento and have a job I would say stick with it. If you have the funds to come out here and apply for jobs over say a weekend then do that. But I would not quit my job and come out here hoping to find one. You might not get one for quite a while, or one that does not pay you enough to pay the barest expenses.
You could be right but we're in a pretty unique situation. My spouse, as mentioned, has a state job that pulls in 36,000 gross. California also takes out a lot of taxes and is a very expensive place to live.

That being said, we're both veterans with education benefits expiring in two years. My spouse is having to forgoe using his education benefits because he is working full time (with a worsening health problem) for a job with no future. I believe it has no future because he's been with it for seven years and there are no cost of living increases, promotions, or raises in sight; there never were. It just can't keep up with the cost of what is around us here in Sacramento, whereas if we move into a family home in Colorado we'd be looking at returning to school full time and paying rent of only $350/month. It's a difficult decision to make, to stay for a lackluster present or gamble on a better future, but we're trying to make it carefully and plan a budget.

If the IT field in Colorado is not having many openings, are there any fields anybody can recommend that are in demand? We're trying to plan our majors carefully so we make the best use of our money and time...

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM

302 posts, read 772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have run across those jobs where you have to hide your education but eventually the way you speak, write and perform will show if you have more education--if you indeed have education and not just an empty degree. Do not assume that a job at Burger King cannot lead to a bigger and better "position". The food industry is big and has more "positions" than those at the counter serving fries.

Livecontent
I definately didn't intend to look down on Burger King employees; I was actually interested in getting a job in the entry level field if need be but didn't know how to go about it correctly. They ask on the applications for the highest level of education completed, and my natural tendency is to tell them, but should I? Or should I just state that I graduated high school (if I want that job)? The last time I got a fast food job, it was many years ago, I only had a high school diploma, and the job was very easy to obtain and keep.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 PM

345 posts, read 868,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
If the IT field in Colorado is not having many openings, are there any fields anybody can recommend that are in demand? We're trying to plan our majors carefully so we make the best use of our money and time...
The IT field doesn't have a ton of openings, but on the other hand I don't know any unemployed IT people either.

Find something you enjoy doing and make a career out of that if possible. You'll be much more likely to be happy that way.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
The IT field doesn't have a ton of openings, but on the other hand I don't know any unemployed IT people either.

Find something you enjoy doing and make a career out of that if possible. You'll be much more likely to be happy that way.
I agree that you will be happier if you make a career with something you enjoy. I think it is difficult to decide not to follow a career path that interest you because at the present time it has few openings.

How are you going to know what the job openings will be like in a few years, when you finish college. In addition, many people do not work in the field that they studied in college. Why make yourself miserable and study something that you have no interest---just because you think that is where you think there will be job demands.

It is interesting to see all these people studying nursing and making career changes. I wonder how many of them will survive when they face the realities of the field of nursing. Even people who professed a early interest and went to college for nursing have abandoned that career--that is part of the reason there are shortages--it is not the easiest job in the world. So, what will happen with these people who study nursing because they only want a job--they will burn out faster.

Livecontent

Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 PM

86,824 posts, read 102,118,974 times
I'm happy to announce that my daughter landed a job today, coaching gymnastics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or