U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times

Advertisements

jazzlover wrote:
My Dad always used to say that "You can do exactly the work that you want to do or you can live exactly where you want, but there are only a very fortunate few who manage to do both at the same time." He was one who managed that, but he also was the type who enjoyed almost any work he did.
Your dad was either a genius, very fortunate, or a Zen Buddhist master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:51 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Do you ever watch "Dirty Jobs?" I think it is a very interesting show--highlighting some of the most miserable (at least in some peoples' minds) jobs that there are. What I find interesting about it (and I have done some very "dirty jobs" in my own work life) is that many of those "dirty jobs" actually require considerable skill. It also seems that many of the workers in those jobs really seem to enjoy their work. Maybe that is just because the camera is there, but I think people can enjoy many careers, even ones that have some disagreeable elements.

One of the things about living in Colorado, especially rural Colorado, is that people may have to take less than agreeable jobs to be able to live here. My Dad always used to say that "You can do exactly the work that you want to do or you can live exactly where you want, but there are only a very fortunate few who manage to do both at the same time." He was one who managed that, but he also was the type who enjoyed almost any work he did.
Good Post. It made me reflect. I now taking a break from working in my yard--I hobble; do a little work; sit down with ice tea and now look at the web...

No, I never watch the show "Dirty Jobs". Now I rarely turn on the TV.

I grew up in a real blue collar area of Buffalo. I noticed the same thing that with many of the hard physical jobs, men did enjoy doing them. Of course the ones who did not--did not survive. I, too, worked in many jobs and I learned you could be content with these jobs. You are right they do require skill that takes time to learn on the job.

I always say it is not the salary that you make, that will make you comfortable; it is the money you keep and save after your expenses, that is the real earnings, for that is your net profit.

A man who makes 30,000 a year, and able to provide for his need, and save, perhaps a few thousand a year, is more efficient than a man who makes a 100,000 a year and saves nothing and goes into debt. For, in basic terms you got to look at yourself as a working machine and if you make no profit, than you are not productive.

When I worked, I was an efficient working machine. If I made less, I reduced my expenses and consequently had saving profit. If I made more, I did not suddenly increase my desires; I increased my saving profit. My saving profit, I look at as retained earnings. In business the government taxes less retained earnings. I would like to see the government stimulate savings by not taxing interest returns.

All these morons in the financial world are now causing me a big problem, as my savings are not earning much interest--maybe I should go out and spend and abandon my philosophy. I am told if I spend down my savings, I can qualify for more government assistance---yea, that is really makes sense for an honest person.

livecontent

Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM

livecontent wrote:
A man who makes 30,000 a year, and able to provide for his need, and save, perhaps a few thousand a year, is more efficient than a man who makes a 100,000 a year and saves nothing and goes into debt.
The 30,000 a year guy is probably alot happier, AND undoubtedly his life is far less stressful!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM

302 posts, read 773,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
This is a different matter. If you're going to school so you can get a job in IT later, then you shouldn't be concerned about the present economy. How long will you be in school?
Slightly less than 2 year to a bachelor's degree.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
This RN will tell you that the patients are rarely the thing that makes you crazy. It's the administration and "nursing management." And other nurses, in my experience, in psychatric and AIDS hospice.
The schooling isn't hard. It's time-consuming becacuse you have to do the clinical times. There's less clinical in BSNs, and I think people learn little that's useful. You can't do clinical in your spare time or on the train or such, as you could homework. You have to be there for that 8-hour day. That's the hardest part, the time needed.
I got my RN
Sorry, but I really disagree that the schooling isn't hard. I've had a nursing counselor tell me that most students come out of it with some degree of post traumatic stress disorder. It will not only consume your (on duty and off duty) time, but it will literally put your life as you know it (family, jobs, recreation, and finance) on hold for the years it takes to complete. The college in general (academic advisors from the other majors) have reiterated several times that it is one of the most demanding majors at State College.

I agree with what Tatiana said about nurses "eating their young". I heard that several times, and saw some pretty decent nurses in training fall victim to it. I guess that would, at least partially, explain the nursing shortage.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
All these morons in the financial world are now causing me a big problem, as my savings are not earning much interest--maybe I should go out and spend and abandon my philosophy. I am told if I spend down my savings, I can qualify for more government assistance---yea, that is really makes sense for an honest person.

livecontent

Funny you should mention that, we've found ourselves in the same dilemma. Hold on to that IRA we have and not qualify for assistance, or spend our nest egg to qualify and be more comfortable now? I don't know the right answer, but those willing to work and work hard to not seem to be the ones benefiting in today's welfare system and economy.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Screw Sacramento wrote:
but those willing to work and work hard to not seem to be the ones benefiting in today's welfare system and economy.
To really benefit from today welfare system you basically have to be a Billionaire CEO, run your company into the ground, and lose millions of dollars for your customers and stockholders. Now that's the american way!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM

5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times
That's probably far enough into the future where we can't know what the IT market will be like at that time. Meaning that you shouldn't base your decision to pursue IT on current market conditions.

I think it's safe to say IT jobs will be around for years to come, but whether expansion of IT Jobs will occur nobody can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
Slightly less than 2 year to a bachelor's degree.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That's probably far enough into the future where we can't know what the IT market will be like at that time. Meaning that you shouldn't base your decision to pursue IT on current market conditions.

I think it's safe to say IT jobs will be around for years to come, but whether expansion of IT Jobs will occur nobody can say.
I don't know whether it's an overly optimistic source, but I researched it a little on the Occupational Outlook Handbook (Computer and Information Systems Managers) and it projected faster than average growth into 2016. One can always hope, I guess.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
I don't know whether it's an overly optimistic source, but I researched it a little on the Occupational Outlook Handbook (Computer and Information Systems Managers) and it projected faster than average growth into 2016. One can always hope, I guess.
One thing that might help is the government shutting down the H-2B visa train employing foreign nationals in various jobs. I worked for a company using tons of foreign workers on visas and I loved the international flavor but right now we need to take care of our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or