U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2007, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 17,225 times
Default Schools and special needs children

My son who is currently in 1st grade has Asperger's Syndrome. It is an Autism spectrum disorder characterized (in part) by lack of social skills. Academically he is fine, he just needs an individual education plan. Has anyone had, or heard about, positive experiences with a particular school system? Some schools have a better plan and are more committed than others to helping children who learn differently. We are very open to any areas around Denver. Most of the suburbs sound lovely. The most important thing for us is to find the best school system for our son. Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 04:32 PM

502 posts, read 1,801,053 times
We have an 11yo daughter with physical and mental special needs. Last year we moved to Louisville near Boulder from New Orleans. Before we moved, we researched a lot of the school districts in the area. Our final 3 were:Boulder Valley, Douglas County, and Cherry Creek. Obviously we picked the Boulder Valley School District. We are very happy with the services our daughter has received this past year. We are also active with a group called Imagine Colorado which serves people with special needs in Boulder and Broomfield. They have great services and programs for people of all ages. You can look them up on the web. Another good group is parent to parent of Colorado. They have a list serve that you can post your questions and get answers from parents. Check them on the web as well. Bottom line is we love Louisville and we are very happy with the Boulder Valley Schools. Let me know if you need more info. Good luck, you will love it here!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM

23 posts, read 80,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson3 View Post
My son who is currently in 1st grade has Asperger's Syndrome. It is an Autism spectrum disorder characterized (in part) by lack of social skills. Academically he is fine, he just needs an individual education plan. Has anyone had, or heard about, positive experiences with a particular school system? Some schools have a better plan and are more committed than others to helping children who learn differently. We are very open to any areas around Denver. Most of the suburbs sound lovely. The most important thing for us is to find the best school system for our son. Thank you
Colorado just lacks for all children with special needs. If you want to know more about my story go to Rip-off Report: Trinidad Public Schools Fishers Peak Elementary IDEA LAW Violations/Stripping my son Naked/False Child Abuse Allegations Trinidad Colorado To add to this story my 11 year old son with autism only received 12 hours of school a month and of that 12 hours 6 hours was after hours. I was arrested for taking the law into my own hands by telling the principle of what I felt. To make a long story short now that Bush is gone I wrote many letters and finally the state of Colorado is looking into my case. Please read up on how horrid the Colorado public school system is.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM

1,931 posts, read 4,288,990 times
Autism166, you had a bad experience in a community who is behind the times unfortunately. Other school districts in CO aren't like that. Every parent I have met who has a child with needs, specifically autism, cries when they hear they have to move elsewhere because they feel the staff loves their child and truly works as a team with them. I have been involved in D20, D8, D14, D11, and have close friends in D49, D3, and D38 who are sped teachers and they share the same story. The Pikes Peak area is really taking autism and its spectrum by the horns. We recognize that individuals who are nonverbal and have autism are very intelligent, you just have to find the key to communication.
Additionally, up in this area, if a child is 3 and has needs, preschool is free through the school district. In D8, we have preschool for kids 3 and 4 and we only take 6 typical peers per class in addition to the students with needs.
Also, keep in mind, laws are different in each state. For example, dyslexia isn't recognized in the state as a disability. However, we can label it as a physical disability. Autism also has to impair a variety of things to be labeled autism...otherwise it will be labeled physical. Even with all of this being said- WE always look at the child and see what is best for the child...work the system to benefit the child. Not DEAL with the SYSTEM, make the system work for the child. I
Also, if a school states your child's least restrictive environment isn't at school (the whole 12 hrs a month thing) than legally the school has to provide at home education...unless the child is preschool or kindergarten. Then, half days are acceptable. If the school district can't serve your child at all, then THEY must provide transportation and all the funding to find an adequate (NOT the BEST) educational environment. I have heard negative things similar to your story about Pueblo and Trinidad concerning SPED, but that isn't all of CO. Southern CO doesn't do much with the Pikes Peak are or the northern end of the state. Shoot, the Pikes Peak area doesn't do much with the Denver area.
I am so sorry you had a horrible experience, I really am. No one should have to go through what you have had. However, please don't make the mistake of assuming that all of CO is like that. Your post reads pure bitterness, understandably so. But, up here in our area, our parents love what we do with their kids. The southern end of the state hasn't caught up yet and are known for being behind the times with SPED. Granted, this isn't good, but don't insult all of us- that is unfair.
Essentially, its no different than having a bad experience with Jake and then deciding that all Jake's in the world are bad. I ask you, please stop insinuating that all sped teachers and the entire SPED program in CO is bad, because it isn't. The SPED programs in the Pikes Peak area are wonderful, we have very happy parents.

Last edited by froggin4colorado; 06-21-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,589 times
Default Special Education Schools in Colorado

Can anyone tell me which areas are best in terms of education systems for children with special needs (ie. global developmental delay, autism spectrum disorders, hypotonia, CP, etc.)? How does Denver/Denver suburbs compare to Colorado Springs or to Fort Collins? Any shared input and information would be appreciated -- especially real life experiences from parents who have children with special needs. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,946 times
Hi my husband's job might relocate us to Englewood,CO. We are pretty excited (mountais and horses) but my 3yr old has autism and we are wondering what are the best school districts for him. Here in Chicago the schools are no good at all where we live. Any in fo is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 PM

156 posts, read 347,178 times
I have a 16 year old son with Autism and can speak regarding middle school and high school programs. When we moved to Colorado in early 2009, we had planned to buy a home in the Douglas County School District. So, we arranged corporate housing there, and enrolled our son in a middle school in Highlands Ranch. Their special ed program was pathetic...I knew after a matter of weeks that we didnt' want to remain in that district. So, we ended up purchasing a home in the Cherry Creek School District, and I've been fairly happy with the services they provide him. Colorado is not a great state for special ed...that's just the way it is. We've moved several times due to my husband's job, and I'd honestly say that his educational experience here has been the least impressive out of the states we've lived in (St. Paul, MN, Enid, OK, and Frisco, TX). But Cherry Creek Schools are one of the best districts in the state, and what he's receiving is acceptable...not fantastic, but acceptable. Definitely better than Douglas County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado