U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,776,623 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: please stay on topic

Regarding the Aspen area, note that Aspen Mountain (the ski area that rises from the town of Aspen) does not have any green runs. Buttermilk is known for its beginner runs. So if you stay in Aspen and want beginner runs, you'll have to take the (free) shuttle bus over to one of the other nearby ski areas (Highlands, Buttermilk, Snowmass).

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-15-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 AM

5,127 posts, read 10,238,853 times
I appreciate all the thoughtful posts, but let's please keep this thread on topic...
The OP asked about ASPEN....
Thank you

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-15-2009, 02:53 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,447,847 times
I beg to differ, posters were supplying what was asked for.......

"Any other suggestions, even outside of Colorado? Suggestions on places to stay, things to do, places to eat, etc.?"

Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 PM

633 posts, read 890,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I beg to differ, posters were supplying what was asked for.......
Apparently you missed the last few contentious posts that were deleted. They were way off track and not helpful to the OP whatsoever.
Carry on.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,521,507 times
Aspen is one of those places where if you have to ask the cost, then you shouldn't go there. So if budget is of any concern, don't bother. Going to a lot of these Colorado ski towns is like taking a stack of $20 bills and setting them on fire. Just getting a sandwich, chips and a drink at a take out sandwich shop in Aspen is $20.

There are people that tell you it can be done on the cheap which is easy to say if you are staying at friends, using their car/transport, using their skis or your own. The reality is as a tourist by the time you pay the expensive airfare, transportation to and from Aspen, transport in Aspen, accommodation, 3 meals a day at inflated prices, lift tickets, ski rental and various other sundry items and tips you are burning through a huge sum of money every day. Some people I have talked to that have done the sums in the marketing depts. up there estimate that a family of 4 to visit Aspen for a week in the winter are in for a minimum of $10,000 and that is a budget trip.

Also with Aspen, don't be tempted by the cheap accommodation as there are some fleabag places around with leaky faucets, beds that have more lumps than the rocky mountains and other rickety nonsense. Do your research on trip advisor and other hotel/condo review sites. Aspen is a very ritzy upscale place that isn't for the "little people" so if the price sounds too good to be true it probably is.

You asked if Aspen was cool. If hollywood is "cool" to you then you'll love Aspen.

Aspen by the way doesn't have the best skiing in Colorado, it just has the cachet of being hollywood in the mountains.

If you do go, then try to go at times when it is not peak season during the winter, such as Christmas or Presidents Day weekend.

Driving to Aspen from Denver? You'll be spending 8-10 hours a day at a minimum in the car! HAHA LOL!

Aspen I always describe as a place of extremes in everything from politics, food, religion, wealth, jobs, everything really. It's as wacky as a place as any you'll find in the USA. Actually in the summer I like being there more, as it more relaxed and the "limo liberals" a bit more tempered.

I have lots of Aspen stories, but one that comes to mind was one night I was working a private party for a rich doctor trying to buy his way into Aspen society. This guy had invited all sorts of hangers on to his house. I remember walking back in at 2 AM to see if they needed anything else before I left for good. One chick was snorting a white powder off the counter top, another chick was going through drawers stealing stuff and another old guy with his pants around his ankles was nearing having a heart attack watching two intoxicated gals writhe around naked with one another. That's Aspen!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,503,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Aspen is one of those places where if you have to ask the cost, then you shouldn't go there. So if budget is of any concern, don't bother. Going to a lot of these Colorado ski towns is like taking a stack of $20 bills and setting them on fire. Just getting a sandwich, chips and a drink at a take out sandwich shop in Aspen is $20.

There are people that tell you it can be done on the cheap which is easy to say if you are staying at friends, using their car/transport, using their skis or your own. The reality is as a tourist by the time you pay the expensive airfare, transportation to and from Aspen, transport in Aspen, accommodation, 3 meals a day at inflated prices, lift tickets, ski rental and various other sundry items and tips you are burning through a huge sum of money every day. Some people I have talked to that have done the sums in the marketing depts. up there estimate that a family of 4 to visit Aspen for a week in the winter are in for a minimum of $10,000 and that is a budget trip.

Also with Aspen, don't be tempted by the cheap accommodation as there are some fleabag places around with leaky faucets, beds that have more lumps than the rocky mountains and other rickety nonsense. Do your research on trip advisor and other hotel/condo review sites. Aspen is a very ritzy upscale place that isn't for the "little people" so if the price sounds too good to be true it probably is.

You asked if Aspen was cool. If hollywood is "cool" to you then you'll love Aspen.

Aspen by the way doesn't have the best skiing in Colorado, it just has the cachet of being hollywood in the mountains.

If you do go, then try to go at times when it is not peak season during the winter, such as Christmas or Presidents Day weekend.

Driving to Aspen from Denver? You'll be spending 8-10 hours a day at a minimum in the car! HAHA LOL!

Aspen I always describe as a place of extremes in everything from politics, food, religion, wealth, jobs, everything really. It's as wacky as a place as any you'll find in the USA. Actually in the summer I like being there more, as it more relaxed and the "limo liberals" a bit more tempered.

I have lots of Aspen stories, but one that comes to mind was one night I was working a private party for a rich doctor trying to buy his way into Aspen society. This guy had invited all sorts of hangers on to his house. I remember walking back in at 2 AM to see if they needed anything else before I left for good. One chick was snorting a white powder off the counter top, another chick was going through drawers stealing stuff and another old guy with his pants around his ankles was nearing having a heart attack watching two intoxicated gals writhe around naked with one another. That's Aspen!
Aspen is damned fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado