U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 AM

12,170 posts, read 20,923,155 times

Advertisements

The Colorado Department of Economic Development alluded about a couple of companies bringing a few hundred jobs to Colorado. I heard through one of my sources that I trust Pueblo is going one of the companies. It will be a German company and employ hundreds of high skilled people. I heard the other one could go to Denver. The announcement should be soon and when it is I will post it here.

That will help Colorado get out of the recession.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,739,484 times
Default Wonder what the "Everything's getting better" crowd says about this:

Grand Junction experiences highest job loss per capita than any other city (http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2010/01/15/011610_1a_Worst_cities.html - broken link)

This snippet tells some more about what is happening behind the stats:

Quote:
The (workforce) center has received fewer job orders from employers in the past five months, he said. At the same time, fewer job seekers are registered with the center, but likely not because they found jobs, Lujan said.

“They could be moving away, maybe they’re just giving up. There’s a lot of factors to that,” he said.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM

621 posts, read 932,914 times
Colorado is not coming out of the recession. What the news neglect to mention is that Colorado is one of the last in, so we're suffering the START of our recession now. The cities are getting hit harder than the small towns. Hold tight and watch and wait a little longer. Much of the recent proposed legislation will dictate whether more businesses will reduce staff or just leave..

Our housing market is still artificially high and still slipping down.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Colorado is not coming out of the recession. What the news neglect to mention is that Colorado is one of the last in, so we're suffering the START of our recession now. The cities are getting hit harder than the small towns. Hold tight and watch and wait a little longer. Much of the recent proposed legislation will dictate whether more businesses will reduce staff or just leave..

Our housing market is still artificially high and still slipping down.
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement, at least as far as Pueblo is concerned. Sure it's still rough out there but things are getting better. There are major developments starting and even larger devlopments being proposed, one is over 500 million dollars just north of the airport and another is $55 million dollars and will transform the Riverwalk area. There are also more companies expanding and moving to Pueblo, one could be a German company I posted about. So I have a feeling this year things will continue to get better in Colorado as the recession comes to a end, by definition that will have happened in 2009 as the GDP started growing in the 4th quarter, and the recovery begins.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement, at least as far as Pueblo is concerned. Sure it's still rough out there but things are getting better. There are major developments starting and even larger devlopments being proposed, one is over 500 million dollars just north of the airport and another is $55 million dollars and will transform the Riverwalk area. There are also more companies expanding and moving to Pueblo, one could be a German company I posted about. So I have a feeling this year things will continue to get better in Colorado as the recession comes to a end, by definition that will have happened in 2009 as the GDP started growing in the 4th quarter, and the recovery begins.
I hope things are going well for Pueblo.

SW Colorado also received some gov Recovery money but it won't have any direct effect on our economy since our economy doesn't rely on the same things that Pueblo does. We are tourist, 2nd home market and recreation.

The housing crisis is still occurring since our home values are still falling and defaults are at an incredible number.

Example: The drop in property value and reduction in tax revenue caused our schools to do an emergency budget cut. This past Thursday, there was a meeting to determine which school programs will be cut since they need to reduce our city budget by $ 1 million dollars!

In late 2009, the city reduced 14 staff positions already and are not anticipating recovering from that any time soon.

In my opinion: Pueblo is unique in that it has been in enjoying a growth in what was an undervalued market, so it may appear to be in recovery but is merely a late bloomer in Colorado. But, I may be wrong. I choose to ignore the gov numbers and am simply listening to enonomists since they aren't reliant on my vote for their job.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
I hope things are going well for Pueblo.

SW Colorado also received some gov Recovery money but it won't have any direct effect on our economy since our economy doesn't rely on the same things that Pueblo does. We are tourist, 2nd home market and recreation.

The housing crisis is still occurring since our home values are still falling and defaults are at an incredible number.

Example: The drop in property value and reduction in tax revenue caused our schools to do an emergency budget cut. This past Thursday, there was a meeting to determine which school programs will be cut since they need to reduce our city budget by $ 1 million dollars!

In late 2009, the city reduced 14 staff positions already and are not anticipating recovering from that any time soon.

In my opinion: Pueblo is unique in that it has been in enjoying a growth in what was an undervalued market, so it may appear to be in recovery but is merely a late bloomer in Colorado. But, I may be wrong. I choose to ignore the gov numbers and am simply listening to enonomists since they aren't reliant on my vote for their job.
You make some good points. I have to agree that Pueblo is defiantly a undervalued market. The proof is even during this recession not many retail stores have closed in Pueblo because for the region Pueblo servers we are undeserved. That goes back to the economic collapse of the 1980's and that now Pueblo is finally recovering from the devastation it caused our local economy. That is one reason I am so optimistic about Pueblo's future as we come out of the current recession. Western Colorado is in a completely different situation so it could take longer for you guys to begin the recovery.

As far as what the economists say I take every bit of information with a grain of salt as everyone has a agenda even if they are not trying to get my vote, that is just human nature. As the saying goes, trust but verify. I don't care if the news comes from FOX or CNN or MSNBC, The Pueblo Chieftain, KOAA Etc. So I like to get my Colorado economic news from a variety of sources. Then I can make a better informed decision, IMO.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-17-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
You make some good points. I have to agree that Pueblo is defiantly a undervalued market. The proof is even during this recession not many retail stores have closed in Pueblo because for the region Pueblo servers we are undeserved. That goes back to the economic collapse of the 1980's and that now Pueblo is finally recovering from the devastation it caused our local economy. That is one reason I am so optimistic about Pueblo's future as we come out of the current recession. Western Colorado is in a completely different situation so it could take longer for you guys to begin the recovery.

As far as what the economists say I take every bit of information with a grain of salt as everyone has a agenda even if they are not trying to get my vote, that is just human nature. As the saying goes, trust but verify, I don't care if the news comes from FOX or CNN or MSNBC, The Pueblo Chieftain, KOAA Etc. So I like to get my Colorado economic news from a variety of sources. Then I can make a better informed decision, IMO.
I totally agree!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM

16,488 posts, read 20,864,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Grand Junction experiences highest job loss per capita than any other city (http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2010/01/15/011610_1a_Worst_cities.html - broken link)

This snippet tells some more about what is happening behind the stats:
Empty homes? Yep! All I have to do is look behind me through the hallway window, there sits a HUD home that has been empty since Labor Day weekend of 2008. Or walk out to the kitchen and look out the window. That place finally sold, but on a short sale.

Unemployed oil field workers? Yep! I know of five of them in my neighborhood that haven't turned a tap since last April. They are on their unemployment extensions.

Mr. Lujan is right. The workforce center has nothing going on for people, especially oil field and construction people, and it doesn't look good for this year. People will have to tighten up their belts even more.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,653,601 times
9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Another rise looming for state unemployment numbers

Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 AM

857 posts, read 1,404,365 times
That report is 600,000 jobs nationwide, not just in Colorado (although it was reported on a Colorado news station).

Colorado has half or nearly half the unemployment as many western states, including WA,OR,ID,NV,CA,AZ, as the Monthly BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) Report will reveal when it's released.

Overall, Colorado has significant immigration from other states w/ similar 6% unemployment rates, such as Texas: http://tiny.cc/z6kei - perhaps because of the good economy ???

It also has an incredible response on the City-Data forums, compared to a demographically similar state, Oregon, as judged by the frequency of updated threads for each state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Because it's relevant to this discussion, I've got to post that Money Magazine has declared that Boulder County is the 7th best place in the country to look for a job. The Daily Camera article about it is here:
Money magazine names Boulder County 7th best place to find work - Boulder Daily Camera

The Money Magazine artcle is here:
Money Magazine
Thanks for sharing; that's very good information to know for those relocating and/or executing public policy decisions. Again, it's more proof that regions that attract high-tech businesses such as Boulder County have lower unemployment statistics in general.

So far, Boulder's unemployment has remained at an average of about 5.5%, ever since the stock market crash of 9-15-08. That's 17 months, and Ft. Collins is very similar.

Quote:
You may be interested in the entire Brookings report that may have been the one quoted in that article, and that ranks Colorado highly on many factors --

http://www.brookings.edu/reports/200...n_monitor.aspx

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 01-22-2010 at 01:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or